Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Chief engineer of the Belfast Water Board, 1938-1949. Samuel Middleton was born in Dublin on 12 June 1901 and attended St Andrew's College, Dublin, from 1912-1919 and Trinity College, Dublin, from 1920-1923, receiving the BAI degree in 1923.(1) He then served a two year pupilage from 1924-1925 with JOSEPH MALLAGH  JOSEPH MALLAGH at the Dublin Port and Docks Board, before joining the staff of the Belfast Water Board as a junior engineer under CHARLES FORDYCE WHEELER  CHARLES FORDYCE WHEELER in November 1925. In January 1937 he was promoted to deputy engineer and in 1938, following Wheeler's death, chief engineer. He held this post until his own death on 10 January 1949. During his years with the Belfast Water Board, according to his obituarist in the Irish Builder, Middleton assisted in the construction of the Silent Valley Reservoir between 1925 and 1933 and 'played a leading part in the duplication of the conduit carrying the water from the Silent Valley to Belfast'. His restoration of water mains damaged in air raids on Belfast in the Second World War is described as some of his best work.

Inst.CE: elected associate member, 6 March 1928; transferred to member, 10 March 1942; chairman of Northern Ireland Association, 1942.

Address: Work: Water Office, Royal Avenue, Belfast, 1925 until death.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituary of Middleton in IB 91, 22 Jan 1949, 76, and from the records of the Institution of Civil Engineers, kindly supplied by Mrs Carol Morgan, Archivist.

(1) R.C. Cox, compiler, Trinity College School of Engineering: 'Graduates' in Engineering 1843-1992 (1993), unpaginated.