- Born: - Died: -
Draughtsman or architect with the Board of Public Works, active from the later 1860s until circa 1900. A number of drawings in the Office of Public Works archives produced during this period bear the signature or initials of J.H. Mellon,(1) who evidently worked on the architectural staff of the Board but never rose high enough to be listed among its principal officials in Thom's Directory. It seems likely that he was related to THOMAS JOHN MELLON and/or MICHAEL MELLON.
(1) These drawings include: Coastguard stations at Ballygeary, Co. Wexford (1867), Skull, Co. Cork (1868), Liscannor, Co. Clare (1885), Bunbeg, Co. Donegal (1893), Castletownbere, Co. Cork (1900), Dirk Cove, Co. Cork (1900); Custom Houses at Drogheda, Co. Louth (alterations, 1867), Dundalk, Co. Louth (alterations, 1871), Cobh, Co. Cork (1895); protestant chapel at Dundrum Criminal Lunatic Asylum (1866); alterations to gate lodge at Queen's College, Cork (1866); Cork Athenaeum (survey, 1870); additions to Sligo RIC barracks (1872); post office, Galway (1885); national schools, Rathmines (1886) Amiens Street Parcel Depot (1891); married quarters at Phoenix Park Garda depot (1886).
1 work entries listed in chronological order for MELLON, J.H.
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, COLLEGE ROAD, UNIVERSITY COLLEGE|
|Nature:||Proposed additions to old gate lodge by addition of half-timbered 1st floor and porch to existing neo-classical lodge. Drawing signed by JHM.|
|Refs:||NA, OPW drawings collection, old ref. F.3.8|