Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Marble worker, of Rome. Ashlin & Coleman's designs for the high altar, Blessed Virgin Mary altar and pulpit in Armagh Catholic cathedral were carried out in Paolo Medici's workshop, the three bas-reliefs on the Blessed Virgin Mary altar being carved by a sculptor named MICHELE TRIPISCIANO. MICHELE TRIPISCIANO. (1) Since its foundation in 1838 by Luigi Medici, the Ditta Paolo Medici & Figlio has been responsible for the restoration of the marble floors and stonework of the Vatican and was officially designated 'Marble Professional of the Vatican' in 1871. It is still (2005) in business, now run by the founder's great-great granddaughter, Priscilla Grazioli Medici.(2)



References



(1) Guide to St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh (1904), 27,31,46.
(2) Information from www.litosonline.com; for a history of the family and workshop, see Priscilla Grazioli Medici, Medici, marmorari romani (Libereria Editrice Vaticana, 1992),


1 work entries listed in chronological order for MEDICI, PAOLO *#


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1900-02ca
Nature: High altar, BVM altar & pulpit executed in studio of PM to designs by Ashlin & Coleman.
Refs: B 87, 6 Aug 1904, 161; Guide to St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh (1904), 27,46.

Author Title Date Details
Grazioli Medici, Priscilla Medici, marmorari romani 1992 Libereria Editrice Vaticana, 1992.