Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Building contractor, of Dublin. Joseph Michael Meade, son of MICHAEL MEADE MICHAEL MEADE , was born in 1839. He attended Trinity College, Dublin, and had become a partner in his father's expanding building business by 1871.(1) After his father's death he continued to build up the business until it employed on average about 900 men. Contracts included the masonry for the Loop Line railway, Bray Catholic church, the Convent of the Little Sisters of the Poor on the South Circular Road, and Guinness's printing works. In 1886 Meade was elected a member of Dublin Corporation as alderman for Trinity Ward. He was High Sheriff in 1889 and Lord Mayor in 1891 and 1892 and later represented the Corporation on the commission which was set up to inquire into the causes of the high death rate in Dublin. During the 1890s he was also president of the Dublin Master Builders' Association.(2)

Meade was awarded an honorary LL.D. by Trinity College, Dublin, in 1892 and became a member of the Privy Council for Ireland in 1893. In politics he was a Parnellite Nationalist. He died at home, suddenly, on 14 July 1900 and was buried three days later at Glasnevin Cemetery. He was married twice: first to a daughter of William Carvill of Rathgar House,(3) and second to Ada, daughter of Dr Thomas Willis of Dublin.

Addresses:(4) 153-159 Great Brunswick Street, <=1874->=1883. Home: 153 Rathgar Rd, <=1874->=1875; 19 Ailesbury Road, 1883; St Michael, Ailesbury Road, <=1896 until death.




References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from B 79, 21 Jul 1900, 60, Who Was Who 1897-1916, 485, and W.J. Fitzpatrick, History of the Dublin Cemeteries(1900), 225-227, which is illustrated with a portrait photograph.   A marble bust of Meade is in Meade's former house, St Michael , Ailesbury Road (now St Michael's College). 

(1) The firm is referred to as 'Meade & Son' in IB 13, 1 Aug 1871, 203.
(2) Building News70, 21 Feb 1896, 294;  Irish Times, 5 Feb 1900.
(3) Fr. Cyril Crean, ed., Parish of the Sacred Heart Donnybrook (1965), 114.
(4) From Post Office (1874,1875,1896,1900) and Thom's (1883) directories.