Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architectural partnership, of Bradford, England, formed between the brothers William Mawson (1828-1889) and Richard Mawson (1834-1904) circa 1874.(1) W. & R. Mawson won the competition for designing the South City Markets, Dublin, in 1878.(2)

See WORKS (for Irish work only).



References



(1) Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), II, 153-154.
(2) IB 20, 1 Jun 1878, 167.


1 work entries listed in chronological order for MAWSON, WILLIAM & RICHARD #


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET SOUTH GREAT, SOUTH CITY MARKETS
Date: 1878-1881
Nature: Winners (as Lockwood & Mawson) of limited competition. Markets built to their design. Opened 1881. Builder: John Hall Thorp, Leeds. Clerk of works: George Hutchinson. Cost: £61,500.
Refs: Drawings formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne, not transferred to IAA; IAA, PKS B06a/52, B08/23, B/09/02, B10/05, B12/20, B11/08, B13/13, B11/47, 0621, A06 (Jan 1879), A07, p.118,119 (1882,Mar 1883); IB 20, 1,8 Jun 1878, 167; 22, 3,20 Sep 1879, 145(illus.),159(illus.); 26, 5 Nov 1881, 301; 46, 31 Dec 1904, 890; B 36, 1,8 Jun 554,605; Architect 19, 1 Jun 1878, 334; 21, 19 Apr,13 Sep 1879, 240,?(illus. in supplement);  Irish Times, 24 Jul 1880, 5; 21 Mar 1881, 3;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),  492,548, Pl.81.