MARTIN, JAMES WILLIAM
- Born: 1837 Died: -
Architect. James W. Martin, who was born in Cork circa 1837 was probably a son of EDWARD GEORGE MARTIN and a brother of WILLIAM EDWARD MARTIN and EDWARD JAMES MARTIN . He worked in the office of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in Dublin before he was promoted to District Inspector in Armagh following the death of WILLIAM TURNEY FULLERTON in 1867. In July 1867, soon after his promotion, 'a few professional friends' made him a presentation of a watch and chain to mark their appreciation of his 'abilities and gentlemanly bearing' while he was working in the Commissioners' office in Dublin. Among those present was 'Mr. William Martin, London', presumably William Edward Martin. James Martin left Ireland in 1867 or 1868.(1) The English census of 1871 records him as a single thirty-four-year-old architect, born in Cork, living as a boarder in Leominster, Hereford.
James William Martin, civil engineer, of Bayview House, Dublin, witnessed a deed of assignment regarding a transaction by a William Edward Martin in 1862.(2)
RIAI: member of Association for Architectural Study, 1866;(3) associate, 1867; resigned 'on leaving Ireland', during session 1867-68.(4)
Address: Work: 24 Upper Merrion Street, 1866.(5)
Home: Bayview House, Dublin, 1862.(6)
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from IB 9, 15 Jul 1867, 183.
(1) See note 4, below.
(2) Information from Mrs A. M. Fenton (great-granddaughter of William Edward Martin), White Roses, Canon Pyon Road, Hereford, in letter of 21 May 2002.
(3) RIAI list of members for session 1866-7, with handwritten amendments for session 1867-8 (in RIAI archives, photocopy in IAA).
(4) RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, Report of Council , Session 1867-68, 2.
(5) See note 3, above.
(6) See note 2, above.