Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Belfast. According to the 1911 census, Joseph Chandler Marsh, a Quaker, was born in Dorking, Surrey in 1842 or 1843.   He was working as an architect in Darlington in 1861, when the English census was taken, but subsequently moved to Belfast.   He designed the Irish Temperance League Buildings in Lombard Street, Belfast, begun in 1877,(1) and the Quaker meeting house at Portadown, Co. Armagh, built in 1906.(2) He may be the Marsh of BELL & MARSH, an architectural partnership which was active in Belfast in the 1860s.  At the time of the 1911 census he had been married to his wife, Arabella Sophia, for thirty-four and a half years and had seven children.

Addresses: Work:  103 Donegall Street, Belfast, 1877;(3) 107 Donegall Street, before 1910.
Home: 20 Antrim Road, 1911.

See WORKS.



References



(1) IB 19, 1 Apr 1877, 97(illus.),101.
(2) D.M. Butler, The Quaker Meeting Houses of Ireland (2004).
(3) See note 1, above.
(5) A.C. Freeman, ed., The Architect's & Surveyor's Directory & Referendum (1910), 185.


7 work entries listed in chronological order for MARSH, JOSEPH CHANDLER


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, LOMBARD STREET, NO. 016-20 (IRISH TEMPERANCE LEAGUE BUILDINGS)
Date: 1877
Nature: 4-storey, 3-bay, stucco building to house a temperance café. Cement front with Bessbrook granite columns. Minton tile surbases to front pilasters. Estimated cost: £3,500. Contractor: Thomas McArthur.
Refs: IB 19, 1 Apr 1877, 97(illus.),101; Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 218

Building: CO. ANTRIM, LISBURN, PROSPECT HILL, ULSTER PROVINCIAL SCHOOL
Date: 1877
Nature: Alterations to same.
Refs: Plans and elevations of alterations of the Ulster Provincial School, Prospect Hill, Lisburn, 1877, in PRONI, CR8/2/1 (see PRONI e-catalogue)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ALFRED STREET, NO. 001
Date: 1878-1879
Nature: New warehouse for Mssrs. Wilkinson &Turtle. Contractor: Samuel White. Surveyor: John Murphy.
Refs: Front elevation, rear and side sections(?), specification and bill of extra and omitted works in PRONI, D3082/B/1,2,14,19 (see PRONI e-catalogue).

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CLIFTON STREET, BAKEHOUSE & STORES
Date: 1888-90
Nature: -
Refs: PRONI, W.H. Stephens & Sons papers, D1898/1/5

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROYAL AVENUE, SHOPS & OFFICES
Date: 1889
Nature: Shops, offices, &c., for Mr J.G. Turtle.
Refs: Architect 41, 18 Jan 1889, suppl. p.1

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, FREDERICK STREET, QUAKER MEETING HOUSE
Date: 1894
Nature: JM placed second in competition for alts. & adds. to meeting house. (Competition won by Joseph Bell.)
Refs: D.M.Butler, The Quaker Meeting Houses of Ireland (2004), 143-145(illus.)

Building: CO. ARMAGH, PORTADOWN, PORTMORE STREET, QUAKER MEETING HOUSE
Date: 1906
Nature: New  red-brick meeting house, comprising 3-bay hall, cloakrooms and porch. Cost £1,200 to build and furnish.
Refs: D.M. Butler, The Quaker Meeting Houses of Ireland (2004), 185-6(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 506.