Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, active in Dublin in the first decade of the nineteenth century and in the midlands and west of Ireland between 1817 and the late 1820s. Dominick Madden (or, occasionally, O'Madden) first appears circa 1802 superintending the construction of several buildings in the Phoenix Park as clerk to ROBERT WOODGATE ROBERT WOODGATE , architect to the Board of Works. In 1805 he was appointed overseer of the buildings in the Phoenix Park under Woodgate, who died soon afterwards. On 28 January 1808 he was appointed measurer to the Board of Works in succession to JOHN BEHAN  JOHN BEHAN at a salary of £195 per annum. Three years later, on 13 January 1810, he was dismissed for irregular conduct, including the theft of furniture from the Vice-Regal Lodge. He responded to his dismissal by appealing to the Board for unpaid salary and bringing charges of misconduct against the Architect's Office. He failed both to reclaim his salary and to discredit the Board's architect, FRANCIS JOHNSTON FRANCIS JOHNSTON , although Johnston's clerk, WILLIAM FARRELL  WILLIAM FARRELL was dismissed for minor breaches of responsibility. He was succeeded as measurer to the Board by BRYAN BOLGER.  BRYAN BOLGER.

Following his disgrace in Dublin, Madden re-emerges in Co. Galway in April 1815, when he is named in the household account book of Christopher St George of Kilcolgan Castle as having been paid £6-16s-6d for unspecified work. In about 1817 he designed a new house and stables for Martin Kirwan at Dalgan Park, Co. Mayo, which he appears to have visited frequently duing the following five years. In the same period he was also working on designs for Mount Bellew, Co. Galway, and Ballyfin, Co. Laois. During the later 1820s he designed three major Catholic churches in the west of Ireland: St Jarlath's Cathedral, Tuam, Co. Galway, begun in 1827, the cathedral of St Muiredach, Ballina, Co. Mayo, begun in the same year, and St Peter & Paul's Pro-Cathedral, Ennis, Co. Clare, begun in 1828. He was dismissed as architect of St Jarlath's in 1829, apparently after a disagreement over the design of the east end. In an anonymous letter to the Archbishop of Tuam, Dr Oliver Kelly, published in January 1830, his nephew PETER MADDEN PETER MADDEN , who had acted as his uncle's assistant, accused the building committee and its chairman, Martin Loftus, of having treated his uncle unfairly and of not having paid him, a charge firmly rebutted by Loftus in the cathedral report for the year ending 10 January 1830.

No further works by Dominick Madden are recorded after 1829. According to Thomas P. Kennedy, he 'abandoned his Irish practice to become chief engineer of one of the South American republics', but no evidence is provided to support this assertion.(3) If Madden did go abroad, it was not for long. By 1832 he had returned to Galway where he remained until his death in March 1837. At the time of his death he was living with Peter Madden.

It is possible that DANIEL MADDEN  DANIEL MADDEN was also a relative.

Address: Merchant's Road, Galway, 1832-1837.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the two articles on Dominick Madden by Patricia McCarthy & Kevin V. Mulligan in Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies: 'New light on Ballyfin and the mysterious Dominick Madden', Vol. 8 (2006), 86-123, and 'Unfulfilled mediocrity: the hapless career of Dominick Madden in the west of Ireland', Vol 10 (2007), 99-149.

(1) Thomas P. Kennedy, 'Church Building', History of Irish Catholicism, Vol. 5 (1970), 7, cited by Ignatius Murphy, 'The Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul, Ennis', in Joseph Power, ed., An Ennis Miscellany (Ennis, 1990), 54.


12 work entries listed in chronological order for MADDEN, DOMINICK


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. GALWAY, KILCOLGAN CASTLE
Date: 1810-1814
Nature: DM paid £6-16s-6d for unspecified work, for Christopher St George (measuring work?)
Refs: Patricia McCarthy & Kevin V. Mulligan 'Unfulfilled mediocrity: the hapless career of Dominick Madden in the west of Ireland', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies, 10 (2007), 124

Building: CO. GALWAY, MOUNT BELLEW
Date: 1817-20;1827
Nature: Designs for alts. and adds. to house, stables, greenhouses, bridges ifor Christopher Dillon Bellew in NLI .. Also proposed new (dower?) house on estate for his widow, Olivia (now Holy Rosary Convent, Mount Bellew)
Refs: Signed drawings, dated 1817-1820 and 1827, for greenhouses, bridges, stables and alts. & adds. to the house itself, in NLI (bought at auction by Mealy's of Castlecomer, 6 Dec 1995, Lot 376; another drawing for a stable and coach house at Mount Bellew, signed and dated 1818, was already in the NLI, ref. no. AD 1935); Patricia McCarthy & Kevin V. Mulligan, 'New light on Ballyfin', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 8 (2005), 96,98-99(illus.) and and 'The hapless career of Dominick Madden in the west of Ireland', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 9 (2007), 125-129

Building: CO. MAYO, DALGAN PARK (SHRULE)
Date: 1817ca-1823
Nature: Rebuilding or remodelling for Patrick Kirwan. Also stables.
Refs: Patricia McCarthy & Kevin V. Mulligan, 'New light on Ballyfin', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 8 (2005), 96-97, and 'The hapless career of Dominick Madden in the west of Ireland', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 9 (2007), 118-123(illus.), 124-5

Building: CO. MAYO, HOLLYMOUNT HOUSE
Date: 1820
Nature: Proposed works at same for Thomas Spenser Lindsay.
Refs: Letter from DM to Mrs Olivia Dillon Bellew, 17 May 1820, NLI MS 27,214, cited by Patricia McCarthy & Kevin Mullingan, 'The hapless career of Dominick Madden in the west of Ireland', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 9 (2007), 130

Building: CO. MAYO, WESTPORT, CUSTOM HOUSE
Date: 1820
Nature: DM submits proposals for new custom house.
Refs: Letter from DM to Mrs Olivia Dillon Bellew, 1 Nov 1820, cited by Patricia McCarthy & Kevin Mulligan, 'The hapless career of Dominick Madden in the west of Ireland', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 9 (2007), 130

Building: CO. GALWAY, MOUNTBELLEW, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1820-1822
Nature: Hall church with tower designed by D.M for Christopher Dillon Bellew. Church opened Christmas Day, 1822.
Refs: Patricia McCarthy & Kevin V. Mulligan, 'New light on Ballyfin', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 8 (2005), 96,97(illus.)and 'The hapless career of Dominick Madden in the west of Ireland', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 9 (2007), 126(illus.),128

Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYFIN
Date: 1821-22
Nature: House begun to designs by DM (based on earlier designs by James Wyatt?), who built SW wing; work taken over by Richard & W.V. Morrison. (SW wing was then demolished and rebuilt using same materials on a site about 50 ft to E.)
Refs: E. McParland, 'Ballyfin, Co. Leix - I', Country Life 165, 20 Sep 1973, 702-5; Sean O'Reilly, Irish Houses & Gardens(1998), 169; Patricia McCarthy & Kevin V. Mulligan, 'New light on Ballyfin', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 8 (2005), 97-114;  Kevin V. Mulligan, Ballyfin: the restoration of an Irish house & demesne (Churchill House Press, 1911), 37-39(illus.).

Building: CO. GALWAY, RAHASANE
Date: 1825ca
Nature: Design for avenue gates, for ? ffrench.
Refs: Patricia McCarthy & Kevin Mulligan, 'The hapless career of Dominick Madden in the west of Ireland', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 9 (2007), 130,131(illus.)

Building: CO. GALWAY, BROOKLODGE
Date: 1826-29
Nature: Proposed remodelling in battlemented Tudor style.. Not carried out.
Refs: Plans and elevations in NA/PRO Ballyglunin Papers, M6936; Patricia McCarthy & Kevin V. Mulligan 'Unfulfilled mediocrity: the hapless career of Dominick Madden in the west of Ireland', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 9 (2006), 98-149

Building: CO. MAYO, BALLINA, CATHEDRAL OF ST MUIREDACH (RC)
Date: 1827-1834ca
Nature: FS laid Ascension Day, 14 May 1827. 'In course of building' in 1834; completed, apart from tower, by 1837.
Refs: H.D. Inglis, Ireland in 1834 (1834), II, 116; J. Binns, Miseries and Beauties of Ireland (1837), I, 361; Thomas P. Kennedy, 'Church Building', History of Irish Catholicism Vol. 5 (1970), 35; Patricia McCarthy & Kevin Mulligan, 'The hapless career of Dominick Madden in the west of Ireland', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 9 (2006), 100(illus.),132-133(illus.)

Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF THE ASSUMPTION (RC)
Date: 1827-1836
Nature: Large cruciform church. Most of the tracery based on E window at Claregalway Franciscan friary. DM assisted by Peter Madden FS laid 3 Apr 1827. Consecrated 18 Aug 1836. (DM dismissed 1829) (High altar sent from Rome)
Refs: Catholic Directory (1836), 141; Catholic Directory (1837), 270; 'Report on the Roman Catholic Cathedral at Tuam', 31 Dec 1837 (RIA Ordnance Survey MS, Box 28); APSD, T, 99; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 220-221, pls. 118,119; Patricia McCarthy & Kevin Mulligan, 'The hapless career of Dominick Madden in the west of Ireland', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 9 (2007), 98-108(illus.),131-132

Building: CO. CLARE, ENNIS, STATION ROAD, PRO-CATHEDRAL OF SS. PETER & PAUL (RC)
Date: 1828-1843
Nature: Cruciform Gothic. Madden's plan selected and work begun on foundations, 1828. Work resumed, 1831. FS laid, 10 Aug 1831. For Dean James O'Shaughnessy. Dedicated 26 Feb 1843, but still in unfinished state, with tower & spire unexecuted. Loan of £200 made by Board of Works for completing 'chapel', 1843. Subscription list opened, 1851. Work continued by J.J. McCarthy.
Refs: S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 601; 11th Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1843), 23; Catholic Directory (1844), 306; B 9, 22 Feb 1851, 124; JRSAI 30 (1900), 441-2; William Garner, Ennis: Architectural Heritage (An Foras Forbatha, 1981), 7-10(illus.); Ignatius Murphy, 'The Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul, Ennis', in Joseph Power, ed., An Ennis Miscellany (Ennis, 1990), 51-70; Patricia McCarthy & Kevin Mulligan, 'The hapless career of Dominick Madden in the west of Ireland', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 9 (2007), 101(illus.),102(illus.),133-134(