LONGFIELD, RICHARD WILLIAM FREDERICK
- Born: 1861 Died: 1926
County surveyor for the southern division of Co. Donegal, 1896-1898, and for the Bandon district of Co. Cork, 1898-1922 or later. Richard Longfield was born on 17 January 1861, the second son of the Rev. Richard Longfield, rector of Mogeely, Co. Cork, and a canon of Cloyne Cathedral, by his wife Wilhelmina, daughter and co-heiress of the Rev. James Gollock. He entered Trinity College, Dublin, where he was Senior Moderator and Gold Medallist in Experimental Physics, graduating BA in 1883 and BAI in 1885. After graduating, he served a pupilage of year under WILLIAM EDMUND L'ESTRANGE DUFFIN , county surveyor for Waterford, whom he then assisted for a further year. From 1887 to 1892, he worked as a railway engineer in Argentina and Uruguay. He was sectional engineer on the construction of the northern extension of the Central Uruguay Railway under ROBERT CRAWFORD . In 1892 he returned to Ireland, where he was employed as resident engineer on the construction of a sea wall at Tramore, Co. Waterford, and also as locum tenens to JAMES AUSTEN DICKINSON , county surveyor for the South Division of Co. Tyrone. He was appointed county surveyor for the Southern Division of Co. Donegal in 1895(1) and in 1898 was transferred to the Bandon district of Co. Cork, a position which he held until his retirement in September 1925..(2)
Longfield died at home on 2 July 1926 and was buried in Desertserges churchyard.(3) He had married in 1898 Maria Louisa (d. 1938), daughter of the Rev. Thomas Henry Gollock, of Forest, Co. Cork, by whom he had a daughter, Grace Wilhelmina.
Inst.CE: elected associate member, 4 December 1894; transferred to member, 11 February 1902; disappears from roll, 1925.
Association of Municipal and County Engineers: elected member, 24 October 1896.(4)
Addresses: Curriglass Rectory, Tullow, Co. Waterford, 1902; 7 Clancoole Road, Ballymodan, Cork, 1911;(5) Millbrook, Bandon, 1911 until death.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the biography of Longfield in Richard J. Hodges, Cork and County Cork in the Twentieth Century (1911), 236, which is illustrated with a portrait photograph, from Burke's Irish Family Records (1976), 735, and from the records of the Institution of Civil Engineers, courtesy of Mrs Carol Morgan, Archivist.For the fullest account of Longfield's career as county surveyor, see Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 243-5.
(1) Irish Times, 6 Aug 1895 (information from Brendan O'Donoghue, 2015).
(2) O'Donoghue, op. cit., above, 244.
(3) Cork Examiner, 5 Jul 1926 (B.O'D.).
(4) Proc.Inc.Assn. of Municipal and County Engineers 27 (1900-1901), list of members.
(5) Census of Ireland, 1911.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for LONGFIELD, RICHARD WILLIAM FREDERICK
|Building:||CO. CORK, REEN POINT (CASTLETOWNSEND HARBOUR), PIER|
|Nature:||Designed by RWFL for the Congested Districts Board.|
|Refs:||Building News 101, 22 Dec 1911, 869|