Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Scottish engineer who, with DANIEL BUSBY DANIEL BUSBY , was employed by Lord Downshire to develop and improve Dundrum, Co. Down. In 1811 the Busbys started to build a pair of semi-detached houses for themselves in Main Street, Dundrum (later known as called The Manor House and The Lodge) to plans which had been prepared for Lord Downshire in London, but they were dismissed in 1812 for unsatisfactory service before the houses were finished. John Busby, 'mineral surveyor and civil engineer' of Dundrum, placed an advertisement in the Belfast News Letter on 22 April(?) 1814.(1)



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Gordon Wheeler, 'John Lynn - Architect/Contractor/Engineer', Lecale Miscellany (1997), 45-46.

(1) Douglas G. Lockhart, 'The land surveyor in Northern Ireland before the coming of the Ordnance Survey circa 1840', Irish Geography 9 (1976), 107.