Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

County surveyor for the northern division of the East Riding of Co. Cork, 1862-1898. Andrew Lyons, who was born on 14 July 1827, was apprenticed to JOHN FRASER JOHN FRASER , county surveyor for Co. Down. He began his engineering career in 1845 as an assistant engineer on the Waterford & Limerick Railway under CHARLES VIGNOLES CHARLES VIGNOLES . From 1846 to 1859 he worked as a resident engineer for the Board of Public Works, carrying out arterial drainage and reclamation works in Cos. Tipperary, Kilkenny, Galway and Longford. Between 1860 and 1861 he supervised the erection of the Board's model school at Enniscorthy and made several railway surveys in the north of Ireland for JOHN BOWER JOHN BOWER . He was appointed county surveyor for the northern division of the East Riding of Co. Cork in September 1861.(1) After thirty-seven years in the post, he retired on account of failing health in 1898.(2)

Lyons also had a private practice, specializing chiefly in waterworks, and became one of the leading experts in the south of Ireland on water supply, drainage and hydraulic engineering. He was also the Board of Works arbitrator for several light railways in Co. Cork.

Lyons died, aged seventy-four, at Shortcastle, Mallow, on 27 February 1902.(3) He was married(4) and had at least one son, FRANCIS OLIVER LYONS FRANCIS OLIVER LYONS , who assisted him in some of his engineering projects.

ICEI: associate by 1849(5) but no longer on membership list for 1870.
Inst.CE: elected member, 4 December 1888; resigned 1900. Association of Municipal and County Engineers: member.

Addresses: Templemore, Co. Tipperary, 1849;(6) Killimor, Co. Galway; Shortcastle, Mallow, <=1888(Cork Almanack (1888)) until death.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Lyons's candidate's circular for membership of the Inst.CE (courtesy of Mrs Carol Morgan, archivist, Inst.CE), from the obituary of Lyons in IB 44, 10 Apr 1902, 1104, and from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 248-9, which gives the fullest account of Lyons's career. Another obituary is in Cork Examiner, 3 Mar 1902
.

(1) Cork Constitution, 30 May 1898 (B.O'D.).
(2) Cork Constitution, 30 May,12 Jul 1898 (B.O'D.).
(3) Irish Times, 1 (or 3?) Mar 1902.
(4) His wife was called Frances Margaret (www.familysearch.org).
(5) TICEI 3 (1847-49), list of members.
(6) See note 5, above.


6 work entries listed in chronological order for LYONS, ANDREW OLIVER


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. WEXFORD, ENNISCORTHY, MODEL NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1861
Nature: AOL directs erection of school to designs by James H. Owen.
Refs: DB 3, 1 May 1861, 496

Building: CO. CORK, FERMOY, BRIDGE OVER RIVER BLACKWATER
Date: 1864-1865
Nature: 7-arched bridge. Partial rebuilding of earlier structure; completed 1865 by Joshua Hargrave to design of AOL.
Refs: Plaque on bridge; R.C. Cox & M.H. Gould, Civil Engineering Heritage: Ireland (1998), 253(illus.); for a history of the bridge see Niall Brunicardi, The Bridge at Fermoy (Fermoy Heritage Series, No. 3, 1985)

Building: CO. CORK, MALLOW, WATERWORKS
Date: 1877
Nature: -
Refs: IB 44, 10 Apr 1902, 1104

Building: CO. CORK, FERMOY, WATERWORKS
Date: 1886
Nature: -
Refs: IB 44, 10 Apr 1902, 1104

Building: CO. CORK, MITCHELSTOWN, WATER SUPPLY
Date: 1891-92
Nature: Assisted by F.). Lyons. Contractor: M. Walsh, Foynes. Clerk of Works: James O'Driscoll, Glin.
Refs: Architect 46, 25 Dec 1891, suppl. p.2; IB 33, 15 Jan 1891, 19; 44, 10 Apr 1902, 1104; Cork Examiner, 3 Mar 1902.

Building: CO. CORK, BALLYHOOLY, BRIDGE OVER RIVER BLACKWATER
Date: ?
Nature: New wooden, 5-span bridge.
Refs: Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 248