Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

English architect, for bibliography of whom see Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), II, 85. Lutyens designed several works in Ireland: alterations and additions to Lambay Castle, 1905-12, the garden at Heywood, Co. Laois, 1906, the renovation of Howth Castle, 1910, a triptych for St Patrick's Church, Belfast (with JOHN LAVERY JOHN LAVERY ), 1919, the War Memorial Garden at Islandbridge, Dublin, 1930-40, and Tranarossan House, Co. Donegal. He was consulted in the matter of a municipal art gallery for Dublin to house the Hugh Lane collection, the RIAI proposing that there should be an open competition for the gallery, with Lutyens as assessor; however Lane wished the choice of architect to remain in his own hands.(1) Lutyens himself made two proposals in 1912-13 for the gallery, the second in the form of a bridge over the Liffey (see FRANCIS BROWNRIGG CRAIG FRANCIS BROWNRIGG CRAIG ); both were rejected by the Corporation.

See WORKS, for Irish works only.



References



(1) RIBAJ 20 (1912-13), 412; IB, 12,26 Apr 1913, 247,265.


8 work entries listed in chronological order for LUTYENS, EDWIN LANDSEER #


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. LAOIS, HEYWOOD
Date: 1906-7
Nature: Gardens, for Sir E. Hucheson Poe, Bt.  Include garden pavilion incorporating 10 salvaged capitals from Commons Chamber of Irish House of Commons, College Green.
Refs: Drawings in Victoria & Albert Museum, RIBA Drawings Collection PB1503/LUT[93](1-8), see RIBA Architectural Library Catalogue, http://riba.sirsidynix.net.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/EsEr2m5O9s/MAIN_CAT/118050028/13 (last visited May 2009), and Margaret Richardson, Catalogue of the Drawings collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: Edwin Lutyens (1973), 23;  Country Life 45, 4,11 Jan 1919, 16,42;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 385n.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HOWTH CASTLE
Date: 1910-11
Nature: Alts. & addition of new wing, including tower, loggia, corridors, library, chapel. Contractor: R.E. Mellon, Rathgar. work carried out under supervision of F.W. Higginbotham, estate engineer.
Refs: Drawings & correspondence at house (photographs of draswings in IAA);  IB 52, 5,14 May 1910, 150,313-4; 53, 4 Mar 1911, 146;  Freeman's Journal, 23 Sep 1910;   Country Life 40, 1 Jul 1916, 14; Margaret Richardson, Catalogue of the Drawings collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: Edwin Lutyens (1973), 24.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, LAMBAY CASTLE
Date: 1910-11
Nature: For Hon. E. Baring. Contractors from London.
Refs: Drawings, correspondence, models &c., at house; designs for castle, chapel and tomb in Victoria & Albert Museum, RIBA Drawings Collection DR57/5, see British Architectural Library Catalogue, http://riba.sirsidynix.net.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/jmCIXpVssv/MAIN_CAT/118050028/9 (last visited May 2009) and Margaret Richardson, Catalogue of the Drawings collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: Edwin Lutyens (1973), 26,fig.28IB 52, 3 Sep 1910, 545; 53, 4 Mar 1911, 146; 74, 5 Nov 1932, 988; 75, 23 Sep 1933, 797; Country Life 31, 4 May 1912, 650; 46, 27 Jul 1929, 86; 

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MUNICIPAL ART GALLERY (PROPOSED)
Date: 1912
Nature: Second proposal by EL for gallery in form of bridge over the Liffey on site of Halfpenny Bridge rejected by Corporation.
Refs: Design in Victoria & Albert Museum, RIBA Drawings Collection PA1601/LUT[63](1-10) and letter in RIBA Archive LuE/33/5/11, see British Architectural Library Catalogue, http://riba.sirsidynix.net.uk/ (last visited May 2009) and Margaret Richardson, Catalogue of the Drawings collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: Edwin Lutyens (1973), 19,fig. 47;  IB 54, 7 Dec 1912, 682(illus.); 66, 4 Oct 1924, 846; Building News 105, 4,11 Jul 1913, 6-7(illus.),43; Colin Amery & Margaret Richardson, eds., Lutyens (Arts Council, 1981), 127 (Cat. no. 127); for an account of this proposed commission see Sheila Carden, 'Alderman Tom Kelly and the Municipal Gallery', Dublin Historical Record 54, no. 2 (Autumn, 2001), 116-138.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MUNICIPAL ART GALLERY (PROPOSED)
Date: 1912
Nature: Proposal for new art gallery on St Stephen's Green by EL rejected by Corporation.
Refs: RA 1913, no. 1660; Margaret Richardson, Catalogue of the Drawings collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: Edwin Lutyens (1973), 19; Colin Amery & Margaret Richardson, eds., Lutyens (Arts Council, 1981), 127 (Cat. no. 127)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL STREET, ST PATRICK'S CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1919
Nature: Altar and frame for triptych above it, painted by John Lavery.
Refs: IB 61, 8 Mar,3 May 1919, 101,227; Building News 116, 5 Mar 1919, 144.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ISLANDBRIDGE, IRISH NATIONAL WAR MEMORIAL
Date: 1930-1940
Nature: Designed 1930 but agreement to build not reached till 1933. Opened 1940. With T.J. Byrne. Original design included bridge linking park to Phoenix Park.
Refs: Preliminary studies in Victoria & Albert Museum, RIBA drawings collection DR24/5(1-3), DR20/7(1-2), see British Architectural Library Catalogue, http://riba.sirsidynix.net.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/mWBpy6wJN1/MAIN_CAT/61590011/9 (last visited May 2009) and  Margaret Richardson, Catalogue of the Drawings collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: Edwin Lutyens (1973), 19;  details, 1932-36, finished drawings and tracings in National Archives, OPW drawings collection; Architect & Building News 124, 12 Sep 1930, 322; IB 72, 13 Sep 1930, 794; AJ 85, 6 May 1937, 763; Colin Amery & Margaret Richardson, eds., Lutyens (Arts Council, 1981), 155 (cat. no. 303)

Building: CO. DONEGAL, TRANAROSSAN HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: 2 gabled granite blocks linked by a short arm. Built as holiday house for the Hon. Mrs Phillimore.
Refs: Colin Amery & Margaret Richardson, eds., Lutyens (Arts Council, 1981), 197; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 169-70;