Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin. Hubert (also known as Hugh) Lundy, a son of Hugh Lundy and younger brother of HENRY JAMES LUNDY  HENRY JAMES LUNDY (q.v.), was born at Killucan, Co. Westmeath on 18 June 1882. He was apprenticed to WILLIAM MANSFIELD MITCHELL  WILLIAM MANSFIELD MITCHELL for four years from 2 March 1899. After completing his apprenticeship in 1903, he remained for a while in Mitchell's office as an assistant. By November 1905 he was acting as clerk of works for the erection of houses and offices connected with the signal station at Kinsale Head, Co. Cork, for Lloyd's of London to designs by FREDERICK HAYES FREDERICK HAYES . He remained with Hayes for some years. In 1912 he took over Henry James Lundy's office at 17 Suffolk Street, remaining there until 1937, when he moved to 6 Nassau Street. He retired in 1955 or 1956 and died in Dublin on 15 January 1975. He had married Rose Hersee on 2 August 1930 and had two daughters.

The Irish Architectural Archive holds a collection of drawings with some related documents from the offices of Henry James Lundy and Hubert John Lundy, which were donated by Hubert Lundy's daughter Dell Lundy in 2001 (Acc.2001/22).


AAI:(1) elected member, 1899; hon. secretary, 1913-1915; vice-president, 1915-1917; ceased membership after 1923.
RIAI: elected member, 1915;(2) no longer a member after 1958.

Addresses: Work: 17 Suffolk Street, 1912-1937; 6 Nassau Street, 1938-1955 or 1956.
Home: 16 Grantham Street, 1882-1884; 40 Clanbrassil Terrace, South Circular Road, 1885-1903; Mayfield, Zion Road, Rathgar, 1904->=1930; The Nook, Churchtown Road, <=1937-1958.(3)

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the daughter of Hubert Lundy, Miss M.H.D. Lundy, Williamstown, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, from RIAI lists of members, Thom's Directory and The Post Office Directory.

(1) Information from AAI Green Books.
(2) JRIAI (1916), 9; IB 58, 1 Jan 1916, 2.
(3) This is probably the 'New Villa' in Churchtown Road, for which Lundy submitted a proposed design to the Dublin Board of Public Health in 1934 (Dublin Public Health Housing Collection, No. 1302 (in possession of Fingal County Council, 2016).


14 work entries listed in chronological order for LUNDY, HUBERT JOHN


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KIMMAGE ROAD, SEAFIELD
Date: 1912
Nature: New villa, for James Ogilvie, Esq.
Refs: Drawings, in IAA, Lundy Collection, Acc. 2001/22, Folder 5.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST ANDREW'S STREET, NO. 007 (A. TIGHE & CO.)
Date: 1913-14
Nature: Rebuilding, for Miss Tighe, Kimmage, to house Mssrs. Tighe's rubber manufactory. Builder: Manning Bros., Rathgar. HJL exhibits drawing(s) of same in AAI Annual Exhibition, 1915.
Refs: IB 55, 5 Jul,25 Oct 1913, 442,683; 56, 1 Aug 1914, 470(illus.);  Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1915.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHMINES ROAD LOWER, KELSO LAUNDRY
Date: 1913-14
Nature: New laundry premises, for Miss Jeanie Kelso. Builder: W. Creighton, Orwell Rd, Rathgar.
Refs: Drawings, 1913-14, in IAA, Lundy Collection, Acc. 2001/22, Folder 5;  IB 56, 28 Feb 1914, 136.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 021
Date: 1917-1919
Nature: Addition of 3 upper storeys.
Refs: 3 drawings, dated 1917,1918 & 1919, in IAA, Lundy Collection, Acc. 2001/22.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 021
Date: 1917a
Nature: Unexecuted proposal for demolition of premises of Farrell & Co. & construction of new premises for J.M. Barnardo & Co.
Refs:

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ABBEY STREET MIDDLE, NO. 098-101 (W. CURTIS & SON)
Date: 1919
Nature: Rebuilding, for W. Curtis & Son, bellfounders. Builder: J. & F. Pemberton. Cost: £9,396.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0135, 0136, B22/31, A09 (Feb 1919)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SHAW STREET, NO. 008 (THOMPSON & CO.)
Date: 1923
Nature: New showroom.
Refs: IB 65, 3 Nov 1923, 852

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MILITARY ROAD (& ARDEE ROAD), HOUSE
Date: 1924
Nature: New 'cottage' for Miss J. Kelso at back of Kelso Laundry.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Lundy Collection, Acc. 2001/22, Folder 5

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST JAMES'S TERRACE (DOLPHIN'S BARN), NO. 015-16 (RERE)
Date: 1926
Nature: Construction of 2 shops.
Refs: IB 68, 11 Dec 1926, 921

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, NOVARA ROAD, HOUSE
Date: 1932
Nature: New house, for Mr McFarlane. Builder: J. Carroll, Bray.
Refs: IB 74, 7 May 1932, 436

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHMINES ROAD LOWER, KELSO LAUNDRY
Date: 1933
Nature: Extension, boiler house, for Mrs J. Mitchell.
Refs: Undated design for extension and design for boiler house dated 1933 in IAA, Lundy Collection, Acc. 2001/22, Folder 5.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CIRCULAR ROAD NORTH, NO. 270 (MONUMENT PRESS)
Date: 1943
Nature: New building. (Not clear whether this is in Dublin or in Florence Road, Bray, where company also had premises.)
Refs: Drawings, 1943, in IAA, Lundy Collection, Acc. 2001/22, Folder 5.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, KILCOOLE, KNOCKROE
Date: 1949
Nature: Bungalow, for Mr R. Dykes, Greystones. Builder: G. Macgarry & Sons.
Refs: Undated proposed design in IAA, Lundy Collection, Acc. 2001/22, Folder 5 (also contains undated design for garage at Kilcoole for same client);   IAA, PKS 1126.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HAWKINS STREET, NO. 016-17
Date: ?
Nature: Proposed alts. & adds. for Mssrs. Keating & Lundy, 206 Gt Brunswick St.
Refs: Undated sheet of drawings in IAA, Lundy Collection, Acc. 2001/22, Folder 5;