Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect and 'CE', of Dublin, active from 1892 or earlier. The Post Office Directory for 1896 lists him at 13 Rutland Street Upper; shown at the same address are Edward Lowey & Co., builders, sanitary engineers and contractors, and the Misses Lowey, millinery, dress and mantle warerooms. It appears that he also had an office at 62 Dame Street, where he practised with his son THOMAS ALOYSIUS BURKE LOWEY  THOMAS ALOYSIUS BURKE LOWEY as Stewart Lowey & Son until 1916. He is still in Thom's Directory for 1918 but has disappeared by 1922.

Addresses: 13 Rutland Street Upper, <=1892->=1918; also 62 Dame Street, <=1896-1916.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry is from Thom's Directory and The Post Office Directory and Jones's transcripts therefrom.


5 work entries listed in chronological order for LOWEY, EDWARD STEWART


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RICHMOND PLACE, CHURCH OF ST AGATHA (RC, PROPOSED)
Date: 1899a
Nature: 'Mr Lowey' provides 'very large and very handsome plans' for proposed new church of St Agatha, to be built with bequest of £8000 from late Miss Eliza Walsh on site of Nos. 10 & 11 Richmond Pl for Rev. John E. O'Malley. Not executed. Subject of legal case (Attorney General for Commissioners of Charitable Donations & Bequests v. Rev. J.E. O'Malley and Archbishop Walsh), Jul 1899.
Refs: Irish Times, 11 Jul 1899.

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, LISNASKEA, HOUSING SCHEME
Date: 1901
Nature: SL & Son appointed architects by Lisnaskea RDC.
Refs: IB 43, 16 Jan 1901, 601

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, JOHN'S QUAY, CARNEGIE LIBRARY
Date: 1907-10
Nature: New library. Design by Tyars & Jago. SL & S executant architects. Opened 1910.
Refs: IB 49, 2 Nov 1907, 762; 50, 25 Jul 1908, 454; 51, 7 Aug 1909, 510; Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 168-171(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TEMPLEOGUE ROAD, SHOPS (002)
Date: 1912
Nature: For Mr Flood, Terenure. At corner of Kimmage Road? Builder: Leonard & Fitzgerald, Harold's Cross.
Refs: IB 54, 20 Jan 1912, 51

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CAPEL STREET, NO. 046A
Date: 1913
Nature: Reconstruction after fire by SL & Son.
Refs: IB 55, 22 Nov 1913, 743