LEVIE, DANIEL ANDREW
- Born: 1875 Died: 1963
Architect, of Aberdeen and Cork. Daniel Andrew Levie, who was born in 1875, was the second son of Daniel Levie of Alberta House, Aberdeen,(1) and his wife Susan, née Elder, and an elder brother of JOHN BEGG LEVIE . After attending Aberdeen Grammar School, he received his professional training with a local architect, Duncan McMillan, and at the Aberdeen School of Art. He was an assistant architect to the Scottish School Board(2) and also taught at Aberdeen School of Art before moving to Cork in 1901 to join the office of W.H. HILL & SON. In about 1911(3) he formed the partnership of CHILLINGWORTH & amp; LEVIE with ROBERT BOYLE CHILLINGWORTH . After Chillingworth's early death circa 1917, Levie carried on the practice under the same name. John Begg Levie was working in the office in 1923(4) and JOHN E. WILKINSON was taken into partnership in 1929.
Levie played an active part in the Cork Civic Survey of 1925 and was a member of the Munster Fine Arts Council for many years. He was also a founder member of the Cork Rotary Club. He died in 1963 at the age of eighty-eight. He was married twice, first in 1904 to Elise Adam of Aberdeen, who died in 1927, and second in 1929 to Kathleen Layng of Cork, who survived him. He was also survived by a daughter and two sons. John Wilkinson carried on the practice of Chillingworth & Levie, which continued under the same name until the 1980s.
RIAI: elected member, 1919;(5) raised to fellow, 1936.(6)
RIBA: elected fellow (transferred from the Society of Architects), 1925.(7)
Society of Architects: local secretary, 1925.(8)
Addresses: Work: South Mall, Cork, 1911;(9) 11 South Mall, Cork, <=1912(10) until death.
Home: Hop Island, Douglas, Cork, 1911;(11) The Island, Rochestown, Co. Cork, <=1916(12) until death.
For works see under works of CHILLINGWORTH & amp; LEVIE; see also BIBLIOGRAPHY.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituaries of Levie in IB 105, 17 Aug 1963, 641, RIAI Year Book (1963), 39, the Dictionary of Scottish Architects (www.scottisharchitects.org.uk) and www.familysearch.org.
(1) www.familysearch.org describes him as 'of London'.
(2) The Dictionary of Scottish Architects notes: 'Whether that was the Aberdeen School Board Architect's Department as seems likely or some appointment with the Scotch (sic) Education Department is unclear.'
(3) Although JRIAI gives the date of the formation of the partnership as 1913, 'Mssrs. Chillingworth and Levy, architects, South Mall, Cork' are referred to in IB 53, 28 Oct 1911, in connection with the erection of a house at Baily, Howth; an earlier reference to the same building in IB 53, 5 August 1911, 529, states that the architect is R.B. Chillingworth, suggesting that the partnership may have been formed between the August and October 1911.
(4) Who's Who in Architecture (1923), 155.
(5) JRIAI (1920), 4.
(6) JRIAI (1937), 13.
(7) RIBA Kalendar 1957-1958, 334.
(8) C. McArthur Butler, The Society of Architects (1925), 81.
(9) IB 53, 28 Oct 1911, 726.
(10) IB 54, 3 Aug 1912, 457.
(12) 1911 census of Ireland, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (last visited Oct 2009). Guy's Cork Almanac & Directory (1916), 407.
|Levie, Daniel Andrew||'Housing conditions in Limerick'||1930||IB 72, 24 May 1930, 462. (Text or summary of address to Limerick Rotary Club.)|