Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architectural partnership, formed in 1854 or 1855(1) between CHARLES LANYON  CHARLES LANYON and his assistant and former pupil WILLIAM HENRY LYNN WILLIAM HENRY LYNN . The firm became known as LANYON LYNN & LANYON  LANYON LYNN & LANYON in 1860, when Lanyon's eldest son, JOHN LANYON JOHN LANYON , became the junior partner.

The Irish Architectural Archive holds designs by Lanyon & Lynn for Old Connaught House, Bray, Co. Wicklow, in the RIAI Murray Collection, Acc. 92/46, nos. 975-987.

Address: 2 Upper Queen St, Belfast, 1856.(2)

See WORKS.



References



(1) Paul Larmour, 'Sir Charles Lanyon', Irish Arts Review Yearbook 6 (1989-90), 201, gives the date as 1854, but the account of the partnership in IB 16, 15 Nov 1874, 319, says 1855.
(2) Slater's Directory of Ireland (1856).


29 work entries listed in chronological order for LANYON & LYNN


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CUSTOM HOUSE SQUARE, CUSTOM HOUSE
Date: 1847;1854-58
Nature: Designed by Lanyon, 1847; 'in progress of completion', Aug 1858. Italian Renaissance Palazzo style. Builder: D. & J. Fulton. Estimated cost: £35,000.
Refs: Designs in NA/PRO (Kew), 3760, also NA/PRO (Kew) MPD 140/5 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); elevation in NA/PRO (Kew), s. & d., 28 Apr 1847, repr. Michael Swift, Historical Maps of Ireland (1999), 138-9.; B 12, 15 Apr 1854, 197; 16, 28 Aug 1858, 591; 24th Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1855), 26; APSD I,B 57; C.E.B. Brett, The Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 35; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 18 (no. 31, illus)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, QUEEN'S SQUARE, POST OFFICE
Date: 1854
Nature: 'plans prepared by Mr Lanyon', 1854; 'in progress of completion', Aug 1858.(Part of Custom House complex)
Refs: B 12, 15 Apr 1854, 197; 16, 28 Aug 1858, 591

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWTOWNARDS, BELFAST BANK
Date: 1854
Nature: New bank.
Refs: Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 406

Building: CO. TYRONE, DUNGANNON, MARKET SQUARE, BELFAST BANK
Date: 1854-55
Nature: Early Ruskinian Gothic Venetian palazzo style, probably designed by W.H. Lynn. Tenders invited, Mar 1855.  Contractor: John Lowry.
Refs: Drawings(s) witnessed by W.H. Lynn and dated 4 Jun 1855 in Northern Bank archives, NB/150;  Armagh Guardian, 23 Mar 1855;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 261; R.W. Oram & P.J. Rankin, Dungannon & Cookstown (UAHS, 1971), 8,21

Building: CO. DOWN, SCRABO HILL, LONDONDERRY MONUMENT
Date: 1856-57
Nature: Monument to Marquess of Londonderry in form of Scottish Baronial tower. Designed by Charles Lanyon, who won 3rd or 4th place in competition. Cost: £3010. (But obituary of Lynn in IB 57, 25 Sep 1915, 431, says it was designed by Lynn). FS laid Mar 1857. Contractor: Hugh Dixon, Newtownards.
Refs: DB 7, 15 May,15 Jul 1865, 124(illus.),174; IB 99, 4 Apr,24 Aug 1957, 190,669; B 14, 15 Nov 1856, 631; 15, 14 Mar,4 Apr 1857, 155,190,191(illus.); 7, 15 May 1865, ?(illus.); Durham Dunlop (ed.), A Memoir of the professional life of William J. Barre, Esq. member of the Royal Insitute of Architects Ireland: with photographic illustrations selected from his works (Belfast: James Magill, 1868), 8-20; C.E.B. Brett, The Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 37-38; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of North County Down (UAHS, 2002), 270-272

Building: CO. TYRONE, COOKSTOWN, MOLESWORTH STREET, RAILWAY STATION (BELFAST & BALLYMENA RAILWAY)
Date: 1856ca
Nature: By Charles Lanyon.
Refs: Ulster Journal of Archaeology 27 (1964), 161; R.W. Oram & P.J. Rankin, Historic Buildings in…Dungannon & Cookstown (UAHS, 1971), 24,36(illus.); W.D. Girvan, North Antrim (UAHS, 1972), 24-26(illus.); Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 216

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CORPORATION SQUARE, SINCLAIR SEAMEN'S CHURCH (PR)
Date: 1857
Nature: New church in memory of John Sinclair, of Belfast. Co. Down sandstone. FS laid Oct 1856; 'in progress', July 1857, to cost about £3,000. Opened 1857.
Refs: B 15, 18 Jul 1857, 406-407(illus.); 75, 19 Nov 1898, illus. in supplement; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 18 (no. 32, illus.); C.E.B. Brett, The Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 36; Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993),84-5

Building: CO. KILDARE, GOWRAN GRANGE (NAAS)
Date: 1857
Nature: New house begun 1857 for John Fock, 4th Baron de Robeck 'to designs by Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon[sic]'.   But see also John McCurdy.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 586.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CORPORATION STREET, SAILORS' HOME
Date: 1857-58
Nature: Gothic Revival. Larmour says 'clearly the work of W.H. Lynn'.
Refs: B 16, 28 Aug 1858, 591 (architect not named); Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 19 (no. 33, illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, STRANMILLIS ROAD, STRANMILLIS HOUSE
Date: 1857-58
Nature: Jacobean-style  'noble mansion in the suburbs', for Thomas G. Batt;
Refs: B 17,  4 Jun 1859, 374;  Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), viii(illus),164(illus.),167.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION SQUARE, NO. 040
Date: 1857ca?
Nature: Alterations for John Fock, 4th Baron de Robeck.  Attribution to Lanyon & Lynn suggested by Casey.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 586.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, ROSSMORE PARK
Date: 1858
Nature: Remodelling, for Henry Robert, 3rd Baron Rossmore. Contractors: James Connor, Henry McLaughlin & William Harvey. To cost: £5,945.5s.
Refs: Contract drawings, dated 9 Jan 1858, among Rossmore MSS, PRONI T.2929);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 483.

Building: SCOTLAND, EDINBURGH, TRINITY COLLEGE CHURCH (PR)
Date: 1858
Nature: Winners of competition for proposed church. Unexecuted.
Refs: Perspective view by W.H. Lynn in collection of Mr P.J. Mulvenna, 1978, see H. Dixon, William Henry Lynn (Ulster Museum, 1878), no. 27; B 16, 20 Feb,17 Jul 1858, 126,146,482-483(illus.); RHA 1861, no. 612 (exh. under name of Charles Lanyon); DB 3, 15 May 1861, 508

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SANDFORD ROAD (RANELAGH), CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1858-61
Nature: Enlarged, with new front added as memorial to Henry Irwin. Archdeacon of Emly, who was rector of church for 30 years. Design of Lanyon & Lynn adopted, Dec 1858. FS laid 25 Jul 1860. Builder: Butler.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 1, no 32, (Dec 1858), 636; 2, no. 14 (15 Aug 1860), 380;   DB 1, 1 Aug 1859, 103; 2, 1 Aug 1860, 308; B 17, 20 Aug 1859, 556; 18, 15 Feb,14 Jul 1860, 30,447; 19, 12 Oct 1861, 699;  new front  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 296.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION SQUARE, NATIONAL GALLERY OF IRELAND
Date: 1858-64
Nature: Amended design by Mulvany.. Design revised again by Captain Fowke.
Refs: B 16, 6 Feb,10 Jul 1858, 93,470; 22, 6,27 Feb 1864, 101,155; for an account of the design and building of the gallery, see Catherine de Courcy, The Foundation of the National Gallery of Ireland (National Gallery of Ireland, 1985), Chapters 2 & 3;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 562.



Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CASTLE LESLIE (GLASLOUGH)
Date: 1859
Nature: Proposed new baronial mansion (exh. (as 'Glasslough Castle') at RHA 1864 under name of Charles Lanyon, 1864). For Colonel John Leslie.
Refs: Plans & elevations in collection of Leslie family (photographs in IAA; PRONI microfilm MIC.606/G/2/4/3A); perspective view by W.H. Lynn in Ulster Museum, no. 1085, see H. Dixon, William Henry Lynn (Ulster Museum, 1878), no. 11; RHA 1864, no. 406; IB 16, 15 Jan 1874, 17; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 71(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 339,  Pl.100.

Building: CO. DOWN, PORTAVO HOUSE
Date: 1859
Nature: Unexecuted design for baronial house. For David Ker.
Refs: Perspective view by W.H. Lynn in collection of Capt. D.J.R. Ker, 1978, see H. Dixon, William Henry Lynn (Ulster Museum, 1878), no. 1 & 2

Building: ENGLAND, MANCHESTER, ASSIZE COURT
Date: 1859
Nature: Competition entrants.
Refs: Roger H. Harper, Victorian Architectural Compeitions (1883), 116

Building: CO. LOUTH, RAVENSDALE PARK
Date: 1859
Nature: Italianate additions', for Thomas Fortescue, 1st Baron Clermont.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Aug 1859, 103; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 462

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAWSON STREET, ST ANN'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1859-1860
Nature: Repairs, refitting, improvements. Memorial windows to Felicia Hemans and Alexander Knox. Pulpit of Caen stone with native marbles erected in memory of Dr Dickinson. Reopened 12 Aug 1860. Builder: Hall, Kevin St. Cost: £2,000.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Aug 1859, 104; 2, 1 Mar,1 Jul,1 Sep 1860, 225,297,328 ); Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 2, no. 14 (15 Aug 1860), 380 (architect not named). (Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 470, gives these improvements to Joseph Welland

Building: CO. DUBLIN, OLD CONNAUGHT (BRAY), OLD CONNAUGHT HOUSE
Date: 1859-1860
Nature: New Tudor-style house  for Phineas Ryall. Completed 1860. Builder: Cockburn & Sons. Cost did not exceed £12,000.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Murray Collection, nos. 975-987 (exh. The Architecture of Ireland in Drawings and Paintings (NLI, 1975), nos. 80-83, illus.); perspective view by W.H. Lynn in Ulster Museum, no. 108, see H. Dixon, William Henry Lynn (Ulster Museum, 1878), no. 10; DB 1, 1 Aug 1859, 100; 7, 15 Jan 1865, 18,20,21(illus.);  B 17, 5 Mar 1859, 174-175(illus.); 18, 28 Apr 1860, 267; RHA 1864, no. 414 (exh. under name of Charles Lanyon); illus. in Peter Pearson, Between the Mountains and the Sea (Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, 1998), 30

Building: CO. KILDARE, KILLASHEE (NAAS)
Date: 1859-62
Nature: GC contractor. Lanyon & Lynn, architects. For Richard Moore. Builder: Cockburn & Son. Estimated cost: £12,000.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Aug 1859, 103; 2 , 1 Aug 1860, 308; 3, 1 Aug 1861, 591; 4, 15 Feb 1862, 43

Building: CO. LOUTH, DUNDALK (NEAR), HOUSE & OFFICES (FARNDREG HOUSE?)
Date: 1860
Nature: Proposed house and offices. (According to O'Mahony JB did not purchase site for Farndreg House until 1862)
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Jun 1860, p.37v.), L1 (pp.9,20,21,137); Canice O'Mahony, 'Iron rails and harbour walls: James Barton of Farndreg', County Louth Archaeological and Historical Journal 22, no. 2 (1990), 142-3,145(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EARLSFORT TERRACE, HOUSE & OFFICES
Date: 1860
Nature: New mansion and offices to be built according to plans of L & L.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Jul 1860, 301; B 18, 14 Jul 1860, 447

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, LISLEA AVENUE, MALONE PROTESTANT REFORMATORY
Date: 1860
Nature: Gothic. Demolished.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 87

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST ANDREW'S STREET, ST ANDREW'S CHURCH (CI, 3RD)
Date: 1860-66
Nature: See works of W.H. Lynn.
Refs:

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST ANDREW'S STREET, ST ANDREW'S CHURCH (CI, 3RD)
Date: 1860-66
Nature: See works of W.H. Lynn.
Refs:

Building: CO. DOWN, CARROWDORE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1860a
Nature: Tower & spire, enlargement of chancel & vestry, completed 1860. Built at personal expense of primate, Lord John George Beresford.
Refs: Correspondence between L & L and the local landlord George Dunbar relating to the church, in PRONI, CR1/50 (see PRONI e-catalogue); Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore Fred  (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 93(illus.).

Building: CO. CARLOW, MOUNT WOLSELEY (TULLOW)
Date: 1863
Nature: New house in Classic style for Sir John Wolseley. FS laid by Lady Wolseley, Aug 1863. Contractor: William Faircloth, Carlow. Clerk of Works: William Gibson. Cost c. £6,000.
Refs: DB 5, 1 Sep 1863, 148-9; B 21, 15 Aug 1863, 583; 22, 6 Aug 1864, 589.