Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer and architect, of Belfast and Dublin. John Lanyon was born in Belfast on 21 April 1839, the eldest son of CHARLES LANYON  CHARLES LANYON and a grandson of JACOB OWEN JACOB OWEN . He attended Broomsgrove School (Bromsgrove School, Birmingham?) before serving an apprenticeship in his father's office. In 1860(1) he was taken into the partnership his father had formed with WILLIAM HENRY LYNN  WILLIAM HENRY LYNN in 1854, the firm becoming known as LANYON LYNN & LANYON LYNN & amp; LANYON LANYON . He appears to have been in charge of the firm's Dublin office in Sackville Street for some time during the 1860s; it was because he had returned to Belfast that he resigned from the council of the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland early in 1867.(2) Not long after the Lanyons' partnership with Lynn was dissolved on 1 July 1872,(3) Charles Lanyon retired,(4) but John Lanyon continued practising as an engineer and architect until his death, which took place at Oratava, Tenerife, on 13 February 1900. He was married to a daughter(5) of Edward Hyde of Somerset House, by whom he had two daughters.   Among various charitable bequests named in his will, he left £1000 to the Masonic Orphan Boys' School and the same amount to the Female Orphan School for the establishment of 'Lanyon Scholarships' to further the careers of gentlemen's sons and daughters on their leaving school.(6)

John Lanyon was one of the moving spirits behind the foundation of the Belfast Architectural Association in 1872,(7) chairing the association's early meetings.(8) After his father's death he founded the Sir Charles Lanyon Memorial Competition for architectural students in Belfast.(9) He was architect to the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway,(10) the Great Northern Railway of Ireland and the Belfast and Co. Down Railway. Yet he was probably busiest as an engineer, largely engaged in railway work. He designed the Draperstown railway, the Limavady and Dungiven railway, the Cavehill and Whitewell steam tramway, the Portstewart steam tramway, the Ballymoney and Ballycastle railway, the Belfast, Holywood and Bangor railway extension, the Broughshane railway Redbay extension, the Comber steam tramway, the Killyleagh, Killinchy and Comber steam tramway, the Tyrone steam tramways and the Co. Antrim coast light railway. For some years previous to his death he was working on a grand scheme for a central railway terminus at Smithfield, Belfast which would connect the termini of the the three railway companies serving the city.(11) He designed the water supply and sewerage for the towns of Ballymena and Lisburn, and for the Co. Antrim Lunatic Asylum. He was also a recognised authority on water rights and the compulsory purchase of land, and was the official valuator to the Irish Civil Service Building Society and the National Discount Company of Ireland. In 1886, with W.J. O'Neill, he prepared a scheme for controlling the flood levels of Lough Neagh, Lough Beg and the Upper and Lower River Bann.(12)

Lanyon exhibited at the Royal Hibernian Academy between 1874 and 1880.(13) He also exhibited a coloured view of Ballymena Castle at the Belfast Working Men's exhibition of 1876.(14) His pupils and assistants included EDWARD BRADDELL EDWARD BRADDELL , LOUIS EDWARD HALL DEANE LOUIS EDWARD HALL DEANE , EDWARD KEVILLE DIXON EDWARD KEVILLE DIXON , MATTHEW ALEXANDER ROBINSON MATTHEW ALEXANDER ROBINSON , JOHN FRANCIS SIDES JOHN FRANCIS SIDES , DAVID SIMMS  DAVID SIMMS and perhaps JAMES JOHN PHILLIPS.  JAMES JOHN PHILLIPS.

Inst.CE: elected member, 4 February 1890.(15)
RIAI : proposed for fellow 30 March 1863 by JACOB OWEN JACOB OWEN , seconded by JAMES HIGGINS OWEN JAMES HIGGINS OWEN , FREDERICK VILLIERS CLARENDON  FREDERICK VILLIERS CLARENDON and SANDHAM SYMES.  SANDHAM SYMES. and elected 23 April 1863;(16) reads paper, 'Competitions: their present bearing on the architectural profession and the public, and what they should be', 19 April 1866;(17) council member 1867-68;(18) having left Dublin, resigns from council, February 1867;(19) resigns membership, 1869;(20)  re-elected, November 1878, but resigns membership, 12 December 1879;(21) proposed for membership by ALBERT EDWARD MURRAY  ALBERT EDWARD MURRAY and JOHN JOSEPH O'CALLAGHAN  JOHN JOSEPH O'CALLAGHAN and elected, 4 Jun 1883;(22) resigns on giving up Dublin office, 1885;(23) proposed for membership by Albert Edward Murray, seconded by THOMAS DREW THOMAS DREW , 3 Jun 1889,(24) but not on list of members for 1895.
RIBA: elected fellow, 1 Dec 1873, proposed by T.L.Donaldson, THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE  THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE and Charles Lanyon;(25) reads paper 'On some sanitary and practical appliances calculated to increase the comforts of dwellings', 8 Jan 1877.(26)
GLFI: candidate for admission Lodge 141, Dublin, 1863; worshipful master of Lodge 7, Belfast, 1872.(27)

Addresses:(28) Work (Dublin): 64 Upper Sackville St, 1861-74; 37 Dawson Street, 1875-1876; 8 College St, 1877-1885.
Home (Dublin): 18 Leeson Park, 1864-67.
Work (Belfast): 1 Upper Queen Street, 1860-66;(29) 12 Wellington Place, 1868; 11 Howard Street, 1870-1875;(30) 1 Alexandra Chambers, Lombard St, 1876-1880;(31) Northern Bank Bank Chambers, Royal Avenue, 1892-1894.(32)
Home (Belfast): Lisbreen, Fortwilliam Park,1873->=1883.

See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY BIBLIOGRAPHY . Works from 1860 until 1872 appear under LANYON LANYON , LYNN & LANYON. LANYON.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituary of John Lanyon in Min.Proc.ICE 140 (1899-1900), 275-6.

(1) The earliest references to the firm of Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon in the Dublin Builder is in Vol. 2, 1 Aug 1860, 308.
(2) RIAI council meeting minutes, 12 Feb 1867, 212.
(3) B 34, 4 Mar 1876, 223.
(4) Paul Larmour, 'The father of Ulster Architecture', Perspective Vol. 2, no. 5 (May/June 1994), 54, says that Charles Lanyon retired when the partnership was dissolved, but Thom's directories list Lanyon & Lanyon until 1875.
(5) A Mrs Hannah Lanyon became a shareholder in the Belfast Natural History & Philosophical Society in 1901 (Belfast Natural History & Philosophical Society Centenary Volume 1821-1921 (1924), 192).
(6) Irish Times, 5 Jul 1900.
(7) IB 14, 15 Oct 1872, 285; B 30, 19 Oct 1872, 823; Architect 8, ? ? 1872, 216.
(8) Architect 9, 24 May 1873, 281; B 31, 7 Jun 1873, 452.
(9) IB 46, 23 Apr 1904, 246; 72, 22 Nov 1930, 1040.
(10) In 1879 he exhibited 'Stations for the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway recently erected' at the Royal Hibernian Academy (no. 371).
(11) He delivered a paper on this subject to the Belfast Natural History & Philosophical Society as early on 5 January 1892 (Belfast Natural History & Philosophical Society Centenary Volume 1821-1921 (1924), 137); see also Brett, 33.
(12) IB 28, 15 Dec 1886, 336.
(13) Besides designs listed under Works, his exhibits included 'Stations for the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway recently erected (1879, no. 371' and 'Entrance lodges recently erected - three sketches' (1880, no. 493.
(14) IB 18, 1 Jun 1876, 152.
(15) Proc.Min.ICE 100 (1889-90), 115.
(16) RIAI council meeting minutes, 1 Apr 1863, 4; general meeting minutes, 23 Apr 1863, 125.
(17) DB 8, 1 May 1866, 109.
(18) Jones transcripts from Thom's directories.
(19) RIAI council meeting minutes, 12 Feb 1867, 212.
(20) RIAI council meeting minutes 22 Nov 1869, 137.
(21) IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile);  RIAI council meeting minutes, 19 Apr 1880, 219.
(22) RIAI council meeting minutes, 4 Jun 1883, 228.
(23) RIAI council meeting minutes, 2 Mar 1885, 242.
(24) RIAI special council minutes, 22 Jul 1889, 274.
(25) Directory of British Architects 1834-1900 (RIBA, 1993), 543.
(26) IB 19, 15 Jan 1877, 28.
(27) GLFI archives.
(28) From Thom's directories and Belfast directories unless otherwise stated.
(29) Belfast directory; Thom's Directory gives the address as 2 Queen Street, Belfast up until 1869.
(30) Directory of British Architects 1834-1900 (RIBA, 1993), 543; RHA Index, II, 177-8; MS letter from JL to A.J.R. Stewart, 16 Sep 1875, IAA, Acc. 2007/47.1/6.
(31) RIBAJ 26 (1875-76), ?; RHA Index, II, 178.
(32) Address of 'Sir Charles Lanyon' in list of subscribers to APSD VIII, April, 1892; IB 36, 1 Feb 1894, 28.


46 work entries listed in chronological order for LANYON, JOHN


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOLESWORTH STREET, NO. 017-18 (FREEMASONS' HALL)
Date: 1866
Nature: Competition entrant (Motto '44').
Refs: 3 elevations in Grand Lodge of Freemasons, Dublin, Masonic Hall with building committee minutes (information from Marion Gaule), see also Tony Browne, 'A Building Study (2008) of the Freemason's Hall', 25, http://irishmasonicjewels.ie/ (last visited Feb 2010).

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, BELFAST CASTLE
Date: 1868-70
Nature: For Marquess of Donegall. Castle completed 1870; also lodge.
Refs: B of I; Architect 10, 25 Oct 1873, 214(illus.); IB 16, 15 Jan 1874, 17; B 75, 19 Nov 1898, 452(illus.); Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 36-37, (no. 72, illus.); J.A.K. Dean, The Gate Lodges of Ulster (UAHS, 1994), 4 (no. 41, illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, EGLANTINE AVENUE, CHURCH OF ST THOMAS (CI)
Date: 1869-70;1887
Nature: High Victorian gothic. Extension, 1887.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 38 (no. 74, illus.); Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 61

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, EGLANTINE AVENUE, ST THOMAS'S RECTORY
Date: 1871
Nature: -
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 60-61

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, WOODSTOCK ROAD, NO. 263, WILLOWFIELD PARISH CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1871-72
Nature: New High Victorian Gothic brick church on site presented by William Mullan. By John Lanyon. FS laid Nov 1871. Consecrated 6 Aug 1872. Last church (7th) to be built for the Belfast Church Extension and Endowment Society.
Refs: Unsigned, undated drawing(s) in RCB Library, portfolio 11; IB 13, 1 Dec 1871, 312;  rish Ecclesiastical Gazette 13, no. 150, 22 Nov 1871, 234;   Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 42 (no. 86, illus.);  Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 89(illus.);  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 189(illus.).

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, FREDERICK STREET, NO. 32 (NURSES' HOME)
Date: 1872
Nature: JL's patented appliances to extract smells from kitchens and foul air from soil pipes used here. (Did JL design the building?)
Refs: Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 155

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, BOND'S HILL (WATERSIDE), RAILWAY STATION (BELFAST & NORTHERN COUNTIES)
Date: 1873
Nature: Started. To cost over £5,000, exclusive of ironwork.
Refs: IB 15, 1 May 1873, 123

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, RAILWAY STATION (BELFAST & NORTHERN COUNTIES RAILWAY CO.)
Date: 1873
Nature: -
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 405

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, WATERSIDE, RAILWAY STATION (BELFAST & NORTHERN COUNTIES RAILWAY CO.)
Date: 1873
Nature: New passenger station to be built. Estimated cost £5,000. Builder: Mssrs. Ferguson.
Refs: IB 15, 1 May 1873, 123; RHA 1876, no. 251

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL SQUARE WEST, ULSTER HOTEL (PROPOSED)
Date: 1873
Nature: Proposal for classical block to occupy whole of one side of square between Wellington Pl & Wellington St. for Ulster Hotel Co.
Refs: IB 15, 1 Jun 1873, 148

Building: CO. DERRY, MAGILLIGAN HALT, STATION (BELFAST & NORTHERN COUNTIES RAILWAY CO.)
Date: 1873-75
Nature: Italianate, with yellow and black brick.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 415

Building: CO. DERRY, CASTLEROCK, RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1873-75
Nature: Red & yellow brick. for Belfast and Northern Counties Railway Co.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 186

Building: CO. DERRY, LIMAVADY, RAILWAY STATION (BELFAST & NORTHERN COUNTIES RAILWAY CO.)
Date: 1873-75
Nature: New station for Belfast & Northern Counties Railway Co. (Demolished, except for goods sheds.)
Refs: W.D. Girvan, Historic Buildings in North Derry (UAHS, 1975), 13(no.40)

Building: CO. DERRY, LIMAVADY JUNCTION, RAILWAY STATION (BELFAST & NORTHERN COUNTIES RAILWAY CO.)
Date: 1873-75
Nature: Gabled, red brick building with black and yellow brick trim. for belfast & northern counties railway co.
Refs: W.D. Girvan, Historic Buildings in North Derry (UAHS, 1975), 38(no. 122)

Building: CO. DONEGAL, DUNFANAGHY, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1873a
Nature: New church, opened 2 May 1873. Consecrated 28 Jun 1873. Site presented by A.J.R. Stewart. .Builder: McClelland, Derry.
Refs: Londonderry Sentinel, 7 Jul 1874 (information from David John McConaghy, Limavady);  F.W. Fawcett and D.W.T. Crooks, eds., Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999), 135(illus.).

Building: CO. DONEGAL, DUNFANAGHY, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1873a
Nature: New church, opened 2 May 1873. Consecrated 28 Jun 1873. Site presented by A.J.R. Stewart. .Builder: McClelland, Derry.
Refs: Londonderry Sentinel, 7 Jul 1874 (information from David John McConaghy, Limavady);  F.W. Fawcett and D.W.T. Crooks, eds., Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999), 135(illus.).

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MY LADY'S ROAD, NO. 149 (WILLOWFIELD RECTORY)
Date: 1874
Nature: -
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 42 (no. 86)

Building: CO. DONEGAL, ARDS HOUSE
Date: 1874-1875
Nature: Proposed repairs to house and alts. to stables. Also proposed alterations to grounds. For Alexander Stewart. (House demolished 1965)
Refs: MS correspondence between JL, ? Murphy and A.J. R. Stewart, 1874-75, in IAA, Acc.2007/47.1; undated (and unexecuted) designs by JL for remodelling house in private collection, Sep 2003

Building: CO. DUBLIN, PALMERSTON, STEWART'S HOSPITAL
Date: 1874-1880
Nature: New. Contractor: Fitzpatrick Bros.
Refs: RHA 1874, no. 284; IAA, PKS B09/35, A06 (Apr 1880)

Building: CO. CORK, BLARNEY CASTLE (NEW)
Date: 1875
Nature: Scottish baronial style house, for Sir George C. Colthurst. Builder: Dixon, Belfast.. JL exhibits design at RHA, 1875, and at Belfast Working Men's Exhibition, 1876.
Refs: Designs in Colthurst estate papers, Cork City and County Archives;  RHA 1875, no. 232; Architect 14, 21 Aug 1875, 104(illus.); IB 18, 1 Jun 1876, 152

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL SQUARE SOUTH, NO. 001-3 (PRESTON SMYTH & CO. AND JOHN PRESTON & CO)
Date: 1875
Nature: Italianate linen warehouse on corner of Adelaide Pl. Red and white Scotch freestone; 'singularly harmonious and graceful in its outline'. Contractor: J. Henry. Sculpture by Purdy, jr. Design exh. RHA 1875 and Belfast Industrial Exhibition 1876. (Demolished and replaced by Commercial Union House, 1969.)
Refs: RHA 1875, no. 224; IB 17, 15 Jan,15 Jun 1875, 17,163,165(illus.); 18, 15 Jun 1876, 172; Architect 17, 27 Jan 1877, 60 (illus., same as in IB); Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 119

Building: CO. TYRONE, KNOCKNAMOE CASTLE (OMAGH)
Date: 1875
Nature: Jacobean-style house for Stack family. Described in notice of auction in Irish Times, Jun/Jul 1891, as a 'handsome modern residence, built in 1875, from designs of Mssrs. Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon of Belfast...at a cost of about £14,000.' (Accommodation described in detail.   House destroyed by fire in 1990s.)
Refs: Irish Times, 10,20,28 Jun,8,11,22 Jul 1891, 2 Jun 1896;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 449.

Building: CO. DOWN, HOLYWOOD, CHURCH OF SS. PHILIP & JAMES (CI)
Date: 1876
Nature: New octagonal pulpit of Caen stone with marble columns, executed by A.P. Sharp, Great Brunswick St.
Refs: IB 18, 15 Jun 1876, 181

Building: CO. DERRY, DOWNHILL
Date: 1876a
Nature: Restoration and alteration, for Sir Hervey H. Bruce. Contractor: James Henry, Belfast.
Refs: JL's account for works and letters to Bruce re same, 22,24 Mar 1879, in PRONI, D2798/9/48-50 (see PRONI e-catalogue);  B 34, 8 Jan 1876, 46; IB 18, 15 Jan 1876, 27; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 246.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST ANDREW'S STREET, NO. 026 (NATIONAL DISCOUNT CO.)
Date: 1877
Nature: New offices opened.
Refs: IB 19, 1 Aug 1877, 231

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, WELLINGTON PLACE, NO. 025-27 (J. & R. YOUNG)
Date: 1877
Nature: Linen warehouse on corner of Wellington Pl and Queen St. Lower storey and dressings of red Dundonald sandstone. Walls of cream colourd brick from Aston, Flintshire. (Demolished ca 1965.)
Refs: Architect 17, 27 Jan,10 Mar 1877, 60,161(illus.); RHA 1878, nos. 579,593; Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 334

Building: CO. ANTRIM, PORTRUSH, MAIN STREET, ANTRIM ARMS HOTEL
Date: 1877ca
Nature: 'A new addition was added to the hotel about four years ago, at a cost of £6,000[?], under the direction of Mr J. Lanyon, architect.'
Refs: Auction advertisement in Irish Times, 12 July 1888, 8.

Building: CO. DOWN, LARCHFIELD (ANNAHILT)
Date: 1878
Nature: Gate Lodge attr. to JL by Dean. For Ogilvie Blair Graham.
Refs: J.A.K. Dean, The Gate Lodges of Ulster (UAHS, 1994), 81 (no. 208, illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, COLLEGE PARK, PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE
Date: 1878
Nature: North wing, containing chapel, professors' residences, students' chambers, faculty room and president's residence. Tenders invited Sep 1878. FS laid Oct? 1878,
Refs: Belfast News Letter, 27 Sep 1878, 3; IB 20, 1 Nov 1878, 310; A.J. Rowan & C.E.B. Brett, Queen's University (UAHS, revised edition 1975), 23(illus.),24; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 17 (no. 30)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, AMIENS STREET, RAILWAY STATION (GREAT NORTHERN RAILWAY)
Date: 1878-1883
Nature: Offices. Builders: Fitzpatrick Bros., Belfast and Dublin. Clerk of Works: William Gilmour.
Refs: Signed contract drawings in CIE Divisional Eng. Office, Amiens St (photographs in IAA);  RHA 1878, no. 593; IB 21, 15 Feb 1879, 52; 25, 15 May 1883, 149(illus.); Architect 20, 21 Sep 1878, 154(illus.);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 167.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, COLLEGE GARDENS, METHODIST COLLEGE
Date: 1879
Nature: Gothic revival porter's lodge on College Gdns.
Refs: A.J. Rowan & C.E.B. Brett, Queen's University (UAHS, revised edition 1975), 5(illus.),31; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 33 (no. 66); J.A.K. Dean, The Gate Lodges of Ulster (UAHS, 1994), 22 (no. 255, illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BALLYMENA, CASTLE STREET, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI, KIRKINRIOLA OR KILCONRIOLA PARISH)
Date: 1881
Nature: Provides design for font.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette  23, no. 64, 19 Mar 1881, 196..

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROYAL AVENUE, NO. 109-111 (NORTHERN BANK)
Date: 1883-85
Nature: Italianate 4-storey building in cream sandstone. Contractor: Silo(?) & Matthews.
Refs: IB 25, 1 May 1883, 143; B 75, 19 Nov 1898, illus. in supplement; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 49 (no. 108, illus.); Edwin D. Hill, The Northern Banking Company (1925), 47; Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 244(illus.),285

Building: ENGLAND, SOUTHSEA (PORTSMOUTH), ST JUDE'S, CHAPEL
Date: 1888
Nature: New chapel built on to St Jude's in memory of the architect's brother, Col Sir William Owen Lanyon who died in 1887 and his wife (d 1883). Neither is buried in the chapel.
Refs: Information kindly given by Charles O'Brien, editor, Pevsner Architectural Guide, South Hampshire, June 2017. Chapel is described and illustrated in the Illustrated London News, Saturday 21 July, 1888.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, FORTWILLIAM PARK, HOUSE
Date: 1889
Nature: Adds.
Refs: Architect 41, 8 Mar 1889, suppl p.13

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, BALMORAL AVENUE, HAMPTON HOUSE INDUSTRIAL SCHOOLS
Date: 1889-1890ca
Nature: Farm offices, c1889; girls' school cottages, c1890.
Refs: IB 31, 15 Jun 1889, 159; Architect 41, 7 Jun 1889, suppl. p.2; 43, 21 Mar 1890, 1

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, KNOCKBREDA, SCHOOL
Date: 1889ca
Nature: New schoolhouse to be built.
Refs: Architect 42, 5 Jul 1889, syppl, p,1

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, NEWTOWNBREDA, CONVALESCENT HOME
Date: 1889ca
Nature: New convalescent home to be built.
Refs: Architect42, 23 Aug 1889, suppl. p.1

Building: CO. DOWN, CLANDEBOYE HOUSE
Date: 1889p
Nature: Works at same? For Frederick Temple, 1st Marquess of Dufferin & Ava.
Refs: Letters from Marquess of Dufferin & Ava to John Lanyon re building plans for same, 1889 onwards, and  letters from John Lanyon [to same?], 1880-1900, in PRONI, D2815 and D1071/H/B/L/73(see PRONI e-catalogue).

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ASHLEY PARK
Date: 1891
Nature: Roads & sewers, for Mr E. Alworthy. Tender of Workman, Green & Co., Belfast, for £772.6s. accepted.
Refs: IB 33, 1 May 1891, 106

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, NORTH DERBY STREET, JENNYMOUNT MILL
Date: 1891
Nature: 7-storey extension.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 55 (no. 126, illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, PORTRUSH, NORTHERN COUNTIES HOTEL
Date: 1892
Nature: Reconstruction. Contractors: McLaughlin & Harvey.
Refs: W.D. Girvan, North Antrim (UAHS, 1972), 11

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ORMEAU AVENUE, NO. 012-16 (TOWER BUILDINGS)
Date: 1893
Nature: Red brick five-storey warehouse, probably built for John Fulton & Co., shirt makers. destroyed by fire bomb, 1978
Refs: Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 220(illus.),254

Building: CO. ANTRIM, HOLYWELL (ANTRIM), COUNTY LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1894-1899
Nature: 'A work of considerable size'. Designed for 600 occupants. Clerk of Works: William Harrison Hargrave. Sewerage irrigation works. Gravitation water supply, 1899.
Refs: IB 36, 1 Feb 1894, 28; 48th Report on…Lunatic Asylums (1899), 26; obituary of Lanyon in Min.Proc.ICE 140 (1899-1900), 275-6. (General plans, dated 1920, in IAA Workhouse Drawings Collection, Acc. 85/138.82)

Building: CO. DOWN, PURDYSBURN, LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1897
Nature: Placed 3rd in competition. Assessor: Sidney Mitchell, Edinburgh.
Refs: B 72, 16 Jan,20 Mar 1897, 59,272

Building: CO. ANTRIM, GLENAVNA (WHITEABBEY)
Date: ?
Nature: Proposed gate lodge, for - Valentine. Unexecuted.
Refs: J.A.K. Dean, The Gate Lodges of Ulster (UAHS, 1994), 15 (no. 161, illus.)

Author Title Date Details
Lanyon, John 'Competitions: their present bearing on the architectural profession and the public, and what they should be'. 1866 Paper read to RIAI, published in DB 8, 1 May 1866, 109, and Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 29, 1 Jun  1866, 174-175. (Editorial comment on this paper in IB 29, 1 Mar 1887, 61) and RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-66, 56.)
Lanyon, John 'On some sanitary and practical appliances calculated to increase the comforts of dwelling' 1877 RIBAJ 27 (1876-77), 65-75.