Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer and architect. Richard Langrishe was born on 6 November 1834 at Knocktopher Abbey, Co. Kilkenny, the youngest child of the Rev. Sir Hercules Richard Langrishe, Bt, and his wife Maria, née Cottingham. After attending school at Rossall Hall, Lancashire, from 1845 to 1846, and at Kilkenny College from 1847 to 1852, he worked on the management of his father's estate and farm at Knocktopher. In 1853 he started a two-year pupilage to SAMUEL USSHER ROBERTS SAMUEL USSHER ROBERTS , then district engineer for the Lough Corrib Drainage and Navigation works. In 1855, at the end of his period of pupilage, the Board of Works appointed him an assistant county surveyor for Co. Galway, responsible for the Connemara district. In 1856 he was transferred to the Lough Neagh district, where he worked under CHARLES SAXTON OTTLEY  CHARLES SAXTON OTTLEY on drainage and navigation schemes for a year. He also assisted ROBERT MANNING  ROBERT MANNING in a survey of the fourth Marquess of Downshire's estates in Co. Down. From 1857 until 1862 he was engaged as a railway surveyor under Sir JOHN MACNEILL.  JOHN MACNEILL.

In 1863 Langrishe left Ireland for London to set up a mining business in partnership with Ethelstane Blake, a younger brother of Edgar Blake of Renvyle, Co. Galway. An attempt was made to open a mine in the French Alps, but the venture did not thrive, and in 1867 Langrishe withdrew from the partnership and returned to Co. Kilkenny. With his sister Charlotte he took the tenancy of a farm at Firgrove, Ballyduff. In 1869 he was appointed clerk of the peace for the county of Kilkenny, a salaried position which enabled him to leave Firgrove and set up in private practice as a civil engineer and architect, while his official duties were delegated to a paid deputy. On 1 May 1871(1) he again entered the employment of the Board of Works as clerk of works for the Kilkenny Lunatic Asylum. The following year he was appointed architect for the Church of Ireland combined dioceses of Ossory, Ferns and Leighlin; although this post was abolished in 1880, he was to remain the architect to St Canice's Cathedral, Kilkenny - where he had also been honorary secretary and treasurer to the vestry(2) - for the rest of his life. He had a deep and informed interest in the history of the cathedral and in the antiquities of the city and county of Kilkenny and was the honorary curator of the Kilkenny Archaeological Museum for many years until the collection was transferred to Dublin.

In 1880, when the care of the buildings belonging to the Church of Ireland was vested in the Representative Church Body, Langrishe was appointed district architect to the Church Commissioners for the western dioceses of Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh, Tuam, Killala and Achonry, and Killaloe, Kilfenora, Clonfert and Kilmacduagh.. In order to be able to carry out his new duties he moved to Athlone. He remained in this post until 1892 when, following the death of the deputy clerk of the peace in Kilkenny, he resigned and returned to Kilkenny. Apart from an interlude in Dublin, from 1899 to 1907, he remained in Kilkenny for the rest of his life. He continued to hold the post of clerk of the peace until 1916,(3) when it passed to his eldest son, Henry. He died at home in Kilkenny on 7 October 1922. He was married three times: to Frances Stafford Chaine (d.1867) in 1863, to Sarah Ogle Moore (d. 1873) in 1871, and to Amitia Sneade Brown (d.1941) in 1882. By his second marriage he had one son and two daughters, by his third, two sons and four daughters. He had a lifelong interest in his family genealogy and made several attempts to write a family history; one of these, The Family and Manor of Langrish was privately printed in Athlone in 1880. He was also a dedicated Freemason.

The Irish Architectural Archive has a drawing by Langrishe showing details of the Church of Ireland church at Ballintubber, Co. Laois, in the Carberry Collection, Acc. 85/200.9/1.

Inst.CE: elected associate, 3 May 1864; resigned, 1879.
RIAI: present at meeting to discuss projected reconstitution of RIAI, 22 Jan 1878;(4) elected member, 28 November 1878, proposed by GEORGE CARLISLE HENDERSON  GEORGE CARLISLE HENDERSON and seconded by ALBERT EDWARD. MURRAY  ALBERT EDWARD. MURRAY and JAMES HIGGINS OWEN JAMES HIGGINS OWEN ;(5) elected fellow, 17 December 1887.(6)
RSAI: elected member, 3 April 1872;(7) elected fellow, 16 April 1879;(8) vice-president, 1879-1895, 1900-1903, 1909-1912.

Addresses: Oughterard, Co. Galway, 1855-56; Toome Bridge, Co. Antrim, 1856-57; London, 1763-67, with long absences in Valgodemard, France, Val Sesia, Italy, Lausanne and Edinburgh; Firgrove, Ballyduff, Co. Kilkenny, 1867-1870; Sion Villa, Maudlinsland, Kilkenny, 1871-1874; Noremount, Kilkenny, 1874-1880; Shamrock Lodge, Athlone, 1880(9)-1892; Creggan, Athlone, 1883-1892; Noremount, Kilkenny, 1892-1899; Dundrum House, Rathmines, Dublin, 1899-1909; Archersfield, Kilkenny, 1909 until death.



See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY. BIBLIOGRAPHY.



References

All information in this entry is from Hugh R. Langrishe (grandson of Richard Langrishe), 'Richard Langrishe, FRIAI, FRSAI 1834-1922', Old Kilkenny Review, No. 49 (1997), 48-65, which see for a fuller account of Langrishe's life. The article includes two photographs of Langrishe. Hugh R. Langrishe has also written a full-length typescript biography of Richard Langrishe (2007). An obituary of Langrishe is in JRSAI 53 (1923), 110.

(1) Jones transcripts from Board of Works records.
(2) Irish Ecclesiastic\al Gazette 22, no. 21, 22 May 1880, 414.
(3) 1917, according to Thom's directories.
(4) IB 20, 1 Feb 1878, 46.
(5) RIAI council meeting minutes, 13 Nov 1878, 214; ?general meeting minutes, 28 Nov 1878.
(6) RIAI council meeting minutes, 5 Dec 1887, 259; annual general meeting minutes, 17 Dec 1887, 285; IB 30, 1 Jan 1888, 7.
(7) JRSAI 12 (1872-73), 67.
(8) JRSAI 15 (1879-82), 53.
(9) Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 22, no. 29, 17 Jul 1880, 542.


44 work entries listed in chronological order for LANGRISHE, RICHARD


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1872
Nature: Restoration and cleaning of internal surfaces of walls; repointing of outer walls.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)

Building: CO. KILKENNY, INISTIOGE, LADY CHAPEL
Date: 1874
Nature: Restoration of ancient abbey as family mausoleum for William Frederick Fownes Tighe.
Refs: Typescript biography of Richard Langrishe by Hugh R. Langrishe (2007), 38

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, ST MARY'S LANE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1876
Nature: Extensive alts. Galleries (except organ gallery) removed, repewed, new pulpit by C.H. Harrison, Great Brunswick St, new reading desk and lighting. Contractors: Reade & Sons (Kilkenny). Church reopened, 22 Nov 1876.
Refs: IB 18, 15 May 1876, 149;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 18, no. 211, 24 Nov 1876, 363.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, GORESBRIDGE, CHURCH (CI, GRANGE SYLVAE PARISH)
Date: 1876
Nature: Church reopened, 4 Apr 1876, after removal of all interior woodwork and old pews. 'Open benches have replaced square pews, a neat pulpit on a stone base has been erected, and a very nice prayer desk put up.'  Architect: Richard Langrishe (diocesan architect).  Contractor: William Aylward, builder, Bagenalstown.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 18, no. 203, 25 Apr 1876, 121.

Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLINTUBBERT, CHURCH OF ST BRIGID (CI, BALLYADAMS & BALLINTUBBERT PARISHES)
Date: 1877
Nature: RL prepares plans for enlargement and improvement of church. (Including chancel?)
Refs: Signed drawing showing details of chancel in IAA, Carberry Collection, Acc. 85/200.9/1; Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 216, 1 Apr 1877, 149;  exterior illus. in Clergy of Cashel and Emly; Clergy of Leighlin (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2012), 200.


Building: CO. WEXFORD, KILMUCKRIDGE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1877
Nature: RL prepares plans for repairs and improvement of church of 1815, Apr 1877. Church reopened, 13 Dec 1877. Floor excavated on each side of nave, new floor laid down, central aisle created.  Baptistry near W door. Chancel enlarged and paved with encaustic tilesNew pews, oak, lectern and stone font. Fittings supplied by Jones & Son, Wexford; lectern 'and mediaeval work' by W. Blews & Son, Birmingham.
Refs: IB 20, 1 Jan 1878, 4;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 20, no. 226, 1 Jan 1878, 18.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, STONEYFORD, CHURCH OF ST PETER (CI, ENNISNAG PARISH)
Date: 1877
Nature: RL prepares plans for enlargement and improvement.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 216, 1 Apr 1877, 117.

Building: CO. LAOIS, RATHDOWNEY, CHURCH OF ST ANDREW (CI)
Date: 1877
Nature: RL prepares plans for enlargement and improvement
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 216, 1 Apr 1877, 117.

Building: CO. WEXFORD, COURTOWN, CHURCH (CI, KILTENNEL PARISH)
Date: 1877-79
Nature: Plans prepared, 1877. Improvement and enlargement, nearly complete, 1879. Church reopened after a' large outlay'., Nov? 1879. Arcade of 3 arches substituted for north wall and aisle 13 ft wide added 'with a monumentary chapel placed transeptwise at the chancel end; chapel, , flooring and reseating of nave carried out at sole cost of Earl of Courtown, who also presented reader's desk. Pulpit given by Hon. E. Stopford, Borris, Co. Carlow.  Work executed in early pointed tyle from  Irish examples. Stone dressings of Bagenalstown ganite.  Contractor: B.W. Webster, Gorey.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 216, 1 Apr 1877, 149; 21, no. 249, 1 Dec 1879, supplement p.12;  IB 21, 15 May 1879, 146;  exterior of church illus. in Clergy of Waterford, Lismore and Ferns (Ulster HistoricalFoundation, 2008), 461;  exterior of church illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 344. 

Building: CO. WATERFORD, FETHARD, CHURCH OF ST MOGUE (CI)
Date: 1877-79
Nature: RL prepares plans for enlargement and improvement, 1877. New E., W. and chancel side windows in Decorated style being constructed, 1879.  Contractor: William Rochford, Carrig Barrow.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19,no. 216, 1 Apr 1877, 117;   IB 21, 15 May 1879, 146;  exterior illus. in Clergy of Waterford, Lismore and Ferns (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2008), 442.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1877-79
Nature: RL accompanies George Edmund Street, Mar 1877, 'with a view to report upon the way in which the remaining works of restoration are to be completed'. Streetecommends stripping and relating of entire roof with lead inserted under top stones of parapets and in all gutters.  RL instructed to prepare specification for same.  Chapter house to be panelled. RL to consult Street and prepare specification for same. Reslating and felting of roof 'being rapidly pushed forward', May 1879. Contractor: William K. Cleere. Works to counter damp and instal new heating completed by Dec 1879.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson Hugh R. Langrishe in IAA); typescript biography of RL by Hugh R. Langrishe (2007), 17,86; Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 216, 1 Apr 1877, 117; 20, no. 227, 1 Feb 1878, 45; 21, no. 242,243, 1 May,1 Jun,1 Dec 1879, 524,554, supplement p. 11;  IB 21, 15 May 1879, 146.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, FRESHFORD, CHURCH OF ST LACHTAN (CI, AGHOUR PARISH)
Date: 1878
Nature: New window in centre of N side of nave erected in memory of late rector, Rev. Luke Fowler. Design an exact reproduction of 14th cent. window in Chesham church, Bucks. Executed in Yorkshire stone by Mr Bonehill, Victoria Place, Manchester. Glass by Earley & Powells, 1 Upper Camden St, Dublin.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 20, no. 236, 1 Nov 1878, 315.

Building: CO. WEXFORD, TINTERN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1878
Nature: Church reopened after repairs and alterations. Additional space created within communion rails; reading desk and pulpit 'placed in their proper positions';  gallery taken down; new pillar lamps; new fittings.  In contemplation to erect stained glass window at E end.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 20, no. 236, 1 Nov 1878, 315.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, TINAHELY, CHURCH (CI, KILCOMMON PARISH)
Date: 1879
Nature: Adds. & imps. to ancient church. 'Hideous' side gallery removed and all fitting replaced with new ones of pitch pine with yellow pine panelling.  New front put on western gallery, roof reslated, buttress placed at NE angle where settling hsad occurred. Commodious vestry built. E window filled with stained glass by rector, Rev. R.G. Brownrigg. Contractor: Wentworth Taylor, Tinahely. Outlay about £450.
Refs: IB 21, 1 Dec 1879, 373;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 21, no. 249, 1 Dec 1879, supplement, p. 11.

Building: CO. WEXFORD, MULRANKIN, CHURCH OF ST DAVID (CI)
Date: 1879
Nature: New vestry, reader's desk and choir seats.  'It is intended to add a chance, plans for the whole having been sanctioned some time ago, but this has to be deferred uintil better times.'
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 21, no. 249, 1 Dec 1879, supplement, p. 12.

Building: CO. WEXFORD, HORETOWN, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1880
Nature: Proposed offices.
Refs: General plan showing proposed offices, signed R. Langrishe, Archt. Athlone, Sept 1880, in Representative Church Body Library, Dublin, GH/46.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, CALLAN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1880-81
Nature: Plans for alts. & imps. approved at Easter Vestry.New communion rail, pulpit, prayer desk, lectern and handsome reredos under E window. Chancel area tiled. Font restored and moved to W end. Gallery removed from W end.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 22, no. 15, 10 Apr 1880, 307; 23, no. 81, 16 Jul 1881, 497.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, CALLAN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1880-81
Nature: Plans for alts. & imps. approved at Easter Vestry.New communion rail, pulpit, prayer desk, lectern and handsome reredos under E window. Chancel area tiled. Font restored and moved to W end. Gallery removed from W end.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 22, no. 15, 10 Apr 1880, 307; 23, no. 81, 16 Jul 1881, 497.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, ST MARY'S LANE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1882
Nature: New E window, reredos and 3 sedilia to be erected. Work in progress in Jul 1882. Church reopened 17? Sep 1882. Cost about £170.

Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 24, no. 116, 18 Mar 1882, 178; no.135, 29 Jul 1882, 527; no. 143, 23 Sep 1882, 660.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1883p
Nature: Clergy and choir entrance porch to S chapel of chancel, built by William K. Cleere.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ATHLONE, CONNAUGHT GARDENS, CHURCH OF ST PETER (CI)
Date: 1884
Nature: Font presented by RL & his wife in memory of her mother. Probably designed by RL.
Refs: Typescript biography of Richard Langrishe by Hugh R. Langrishe (2007), 30

Building: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, MALL, CHURCH (CI, CALRY PARISH)
Date: 1884-1885
Nature: New E window probably attributable to RL. (Other improvements and changes made at this time, see Tadhg Kilgannon, Sligo and its surroundings (Sligo, 1926), 137.) 
Refs: Typescript biography of Richard Langrishe by Hugh R. Langrishe (2007), 20.

Building: CO. CAVAN, BELTURBET, CHURCH (CI, ANNAGH PARISH)
Date: 1886
Nature: Improvements, including pine reredos, pulpit, prayer desk and lectern, recess for new organ and heating.
Refs: IB 28, 1 Sep 1886, 251

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, KILLENVOY, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1886
Nature: New pews, communion-rail and platform, pulpit and prayer desk. (Church later demolished.)
Refs: IB 28, 1 Sep 1886, 251

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1886p
Nature: Memorial cross to Rev. James Graves (d.1886) opposite N aisle entrance. Commissioned by Graves's wife. Outline & details taken from crosses at Kilklispeen, Killamery, Armagh and Clonmacnoise.
Refs: JRSAI 21 (1890), 111-112(illus.)

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, CHURCH (CI, URNEY PARISH)
Date: 1887
Nature: Pulpit and prayer desk, executed by C.W. Harrison in Caen stone and red and green marble. Prayer desk gift of Col. Cottingham as memorial to the Cottingham family.
Refs: IB 30, 15 Jan 1888, 4

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, ROSCOMMON, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1887-88
Nature: Improvements, including removal of galleries, 3 new windows, new pews, new pulpit.in memory of Lord & Lady Crofton, sculpted by C.W. Harrison. Church reopened early 1888.
Refs: IB 30, 1 Feb 1888, 30

Building: CO. SLIGO, KILMACTRANEY, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1887-88
Nature: Complete remodelling and restoration.; 'recently reopened'. Contractor: Mr Duncan, Dromahair.
Refs: IB 30, 15 Feb 1888, 55

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ATHLONE, ABBEY ROAD, UNION WORKHOUSE
Date: 1889
Nature: Adds. to accommodate nuns. Cost: £385.
Refs: Architect 41, suppl. 29 Mar 1889, 1; suppl, 5 Apr 1889, 1

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KNOCKTOPHER ABBEY
Date: 1890
Nature: Proposed new wing. For Hercules Robert Langrishe. Not executed.
Refs: Drawings, s. & d. Athlone, 20 Mar 1890, in possession of Hugh R. Langrishe, grandson of RL

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ATHLONE, NORTHGATE STREET, LECTURE HALL
Date: 1890
Nature: Tenders invited for erecting same, Jun 1890.
Refs: Irish Times, 6 Jun 1890.

Building: CO. LONGFORD, KENAGH, CHURCH (CI, KILCOMMICK PARISH)
Date: 1891;1895
Nature: Memorial pulpit in memory of Rev. J.J. Hayes erected by his brother and sister. Caen stone with shafts of Irish polished marble. Work delayed for over three years but now carried out by C.W. Harrison & Sons, Great Brunswick St.
Refs: IB 33, 1 Dec 1891, 275; 37, 1 Apr 1895, 96; Irish Times, 28 Mar 1895; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 340

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, DUBLIN ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM (ST CANICE'S HOSPITAL)
Date: 1893;1898
Nature: Proposed RC chapel and other works (dining hall, 2 connecting wings, fire escape wings, conversion of old chapel into dormitory, water softening house). With Thomas Drew. Clerk of Works: Lorenzo Baker. Builder: W.K. Cleere. Further? works incl. Protestant church, 1897-99.(But H.R. Langrishe says that all refs. are to the same chapel, which was intended for RCs but ended by being for Protestants.)
Refs: IAA, PKS 0726, B15/66, B18/30, A07 (Aug 1892-May 1893,p.445); IB 35, 15 May 1893, 122; 42nd Report on District, Criminal and Private Lunatic Asylums (1893), 9; J. Williams, A Companion Guide to Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 247; typescript biography of Richard Langrishe by Hugh R. Langrishe (2007), 59.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1898
Nature: Re-flooring with Kilkenny marble (sanctuary) and encaustic tiles. Marble laid by Colles.Contractor for foundation bed and tiling: William Cleere.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1900a
Nature: Carved oak clergy stalls in cathedral and small oak reredos. Carried out by De Wespelaere of Bruges.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA); IB 42, 1 Nov 1900, 534-535

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: 1902-03
Nature: Oak screens in entrance arches of N and S chapels of chancel and in arch behind Bishop's throne, erected as memorial to Dean Thomas Hare (d.1901) and carried out buy De Wespelaere, Bruges.
Refs: IB 43, 22 May 1902, 1262; MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)

Building: CO. GALWAY, CLONFERT, CATHEDRAL OF ST BRENDAN (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: RL reports to RSAI on alterations to cathedral by J.F. Fuller.
Refs: Building News 78, 16 Feb 1900, 248

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Chapter house gateway.
Refs: JRSAI 53 (1923), 110

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Memorial brass under westernmost window in S side of nave, in memory of members of RL's sister and her grandsons. Carried out by T.R. Scott & Co., Upper Abbey St, Dublin.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Chapter house stalls. Carried out by T.R. Scott & Co., Upper Abbey St, Dublin.
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COACH ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST CANICE (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Removal of roughcast from inner surfaces of nave and transept walls .
Refs: MS. memoir by RL of work carried out by himself at St Canice's 1871-1904 (copy of transcript by RL's grandson in IAA)

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, MARKET STREET, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Replacement of eaves on tower with parapet
Refs: Typescript biography of Richard Langrishe by Hugh R. Langrishe (2007), 24.

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ATHLONE, CONNAUGHT GARDENS, ST PETER'S CHURCH HALL
Date: ?
Nature: New church hall behind church.
Refs: Typescript biography of Richard Langrishe by Hugh R. Langrishe (2007), 26

Building: CO. KILKENNY, ARCHERSFIELD
Date: ?
Nature: RL lived in house from 1909 or earlier until1922 and may  have designed garden wing.
Refs: St Patrick's Kilkenny: Gravestone Inscriptions with historical notes on the parish (Kilkenny Archaeological Society, n.d.), 90.

Author Title Date Details
Langrishe, Richard 'St Canice's Cathedral, Kilkenny' 1878 IB 20, 1 Sep 1878, 254. (Address read during visit of British Association to Kilkenny, published as handbook in May 1879.)
Langrishe, Richard 'Irish church bells' 1882;1884;1888 JRSAI 15 (1879-82), 455-459; 16 (1883-84), 474-482; 18 (1887), 28-45.
Langrishe, Richard 'Notes on Sligo Abbey' 1884 JRSAI (1883-84), 471-474.
Langrishe, Richard 'The visit of the Architectural Association to Kilkenny' 1888 IB 30, 1 Aug 1888, 201. (Letter to editor; see also response in IB 30, 15 Aug 1888, 214.)
Langrishe, Richard 'The visit of the Architectural Association' 1888 IB 30, 15 Jun 1888, 159. (Letter to editor in response to article in IB 30, 1 Jun 1888, 143, published inwith appended editorial comment.)
Langrishe, Richard 'The sieges of Athlone in 1690 and 1691' 1891 JRSAI 21 (1890-91), 280-281,370-380.
Langrishe, Richard 'The Walls of Athlone' 1891 JRSAI 21 (1891), 276-279; IB 33, 1 Apr 1891, 81.
Langrishe, Richard 'The priory of Inistioge' 1896 JRSAI 26 (1896), 370-378.
Langrishe, Richard 'The origin of the Grace family of Courtstown, co. Kilkenny' 1900;1902 JRSAI 30 (1900), 319-323; 32 (1902), 64-67.
Langrishe, Richard 'The Bourchier Tablet in the Cathedral Church of St Canice, Kilkenny, with some account of that family' 1905 JRSAI 34 (1904), 365-379; 35 (1905), 21-33.
Langrishe, Richard 'Notes on Jerpoint Abbey, Co. Kilkenny' 1906 JRSAI 36 (1906), 179-197.
Langrishe, Richard (ed.) Handbook to the Cathedral Church of St Canice, Kilkenny 1879 Kilkenny, 1879. (Notice in IB 21, 1 May 1879, 127.)