- Born: - Died: -
Architect and 'CE', of Dublin. Charles Lanauze entered the Board of Works as a drawing clerk in 1863.(1) He was briefly promoted to the position of joint draughtsman with JOHN C. CAMPBELL circa 1880, but both men appear to have been replaced soon afterwards by EDWARD KAVANAGH , who was appointed to the position of principal draughtsman in July 1881.(2) He is presumably the 'C.L.' who initialled drawings for the coast guard stations at Knockadoon, Co. Cork (1865), and Castletownsend, Co. Cork (1866) in the drawings collection of the Office of Public Works in the National Archives. He may be the Lanauze of Lanauze & Stirling who designed Sane's 'gin palace' on the Clontarf Road circa 1870.(3)
AAI: elected member, 18 Dec 1873.(4)
Address: 49 Grosvenor Sq, Rathmines, <=1874->=1883.(5)
(1) Jones transcript from Board of Works records.
(2) Jones transcripts from Thom's directories show Campbell as 'Draughtsman' in the 1881 edition, Lanauze and Campbell as joint draughtsmen in the 1882 edition and Kavanagh as 'Principal Draughtsman' in the 1883 edition, although Kavanagh had been appointed to the postion in July 1881.
(3) IB 14, 1 Feb 1871, 37.
(4) IB 16, 1 Jan 1874, 12.
(5) Post Office Directory (1874) and Thom's Directory (1883).
1 work entries listed in chronological order for LANAUZE, CHARLES
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NORTH STRAND ROAD (& ANNESLEY PLACE), SANE'S PROVISION MERCHANTS|
|Nature:||'Gin palace' at junction of North Strand Rd and Annesley Pl. designed by 'Lanauze & Stirling' (probably CL and William Stirling)|
|Refs:||IB 13, 1 Feb 1871, 37|