Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Assistant county surveyor for Co. Down from 1882(1) until 1912. Thomas Lamon, who, according to the 1911 census, was born in Co. Derry circa 1847, served a five year apprenticeship from 1876 until 1881 with JOHN SELFRIDGE JOHN SELFRIDGE , engineer to the Ironmongers' Company in Co. Derry. This was followed by nine years as an assistant to RICHARD WILLIAMSON RICHARD WILLIAMSON , county surveyor for Co. Derry, and his successor, ARTHUR CHARLES ADAIR ARTHUR CHARLES ADAIR . In 1879 Lamon was appointed assistant engineer to JAMES PERRY JAMES PERRY , county surveyor for Co. Roscommon, to carry out works for the Board of Works. In about 1883 he was appointed an assistant county surveyor for Co. Down. He remained in this position until his death in 1912.(2) He was also town surveyor for Bangor and for Newtownards.(3)   The 1911 census records him as living at south Corporation, Newtownards, with his wife, Annie, and three daughters.   He died in 1912.

ICEI: elected associate, 1895.(4)



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from ICEI membership applications, III, 13.

(1)
Thom's Directory (1883), 1067.
(2)
Building News 102, 14 Jun 1912, 866.
(3)
IB 41, 15 Nov 1899, 187.
(4)
TICEI, lists of members.