Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder and timber merchant, of Dublin, listed as such in Wilson's Dublin Directory for the years 1788 to 1797 with an address at 54 Queen Street from 1788 to 1794 and at 66 Queen Street from 1795 to 1797. He is presumably the person of the same name who was admitted to the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 6 February 1772(1) and who married Jane North at the church of St Michael the Archangel on 8 February 1777.(2) Initially he conducted his business from Dirty Lane, Thomas Street; in Faulkner's Dublin Journal for 6-8 July 1780 he announced his move to 54 Queen Street 'for the greater convenience of carrying on his business in a more extensive manner'. He was described as a timber merchant of Queen Street when he witnessed the will of Elizabeth Pountney of Dublin on 15 July 1783.(3)

Lancake was one of the three representatives of the Guild of Carpenters on the Common Council of the City of Dublin for the years 1790, 1791 and 1792.(4) A payment to him of £31.10s.4ds. for carpenter's work was authorized by the Corporation at the Assembly of 19 October 1792.(5)

See also ISAAC LANCAKE. ISAAC LANCAKE.



References



(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Drawing admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(2) www.familysearch.org.
(3) Eilish Ellis and P. Beryl Eustace, eds., Registry of Deeds Dublin Abstracts of Wills…1785-1832, (Irish Manuscripts Commission, 1984), 36 (no. 56).
(4) CARD XIV, 544.
(5) CARD XIV, 294.