Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stone cutter and marble mason, of Dublin, active from 1839 or earlier. In Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1847 he appears in partnership with Andrew Kirwan. His altar for the Franciscan Church in Henry Street, Limerick, was described in the Catholic Directory for 1848 as 'one of the most splendid pieces of Irish manufacture, equal to any of the kind in Rome, at one fourth the cost'.  He appears to have died in 1867;  in May of that year his widow placed advertisements in the Freeman's Journal which announced that she was carrying on her late husband's business.(1)

Addresses: 29 Paradise Row, <=1839->=1841; 101 Upper Dorset Street, 1844; 17 Bolton Street,<=1847->=1867.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from the Post Office Directory, Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac and Thom's Official Directory.

(1) Freeman's Journal, 14,21 May 1867


8 work entries listed in chronological order for KIRWAN, MICHAEL *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HALSTON STREET, ST MICHAN'S CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1837p
Nature: Marble monument to Rev. Patrick Coleman (d. 1837) in E porch with figure of Grief by Ballantine & Kirwan.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 92.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CARRICK-ON-SUIR, CHURCH (RC, OLD)
Date: 1845ca
Nature: Marble high altar.
Refs: Catholic Directory (1845), 235

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, HENRY STREET, FRANCISCAN CHURCH (RC, OLD)
Date: 1847
Nature: Marble altar.
Refs: Irish Catholic Directory (1848), 235,325.

Building: CO. KILDARE, NEWBRIDGE, CHURCH OF ST CONLETH (RC)
Date: 1847-1859
Nature: New church in early Norman Gothic style, for Rev. Timothy Kavanagh, PP. FS laid 1847 by Rt. Rev. Dr Haley. Walls pierced by 10 double lancet windows. Stained glass of SS Briget & Conleth gift of J. O'Donohue of Rosehard House. Altar by Kirwan, Bolton St, Dublin.
Refs: IB 1, I Mar 1859, 32;  B 17, 5 Mar 1859, 173;  John McEvoy, ed., The Churches of Kildare and Leighlin 2000 AD (Strasbourg: Editions du Signe, 2000), 116(illus.)..

Building: CO. WEXFORD, GOREY, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL (RC)
Date: 1848ca
Nature: Marble altar.
Refs: Catholic Directory (1845), 235

Building: CO. LIMERICK, MONEYGAY, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1861
Nature: New marble altar. Contractor: Mr Kirwan, Bolton St.
Refs: DB 3, 15 Sep 1861, 637

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SEVILLE PLACE, CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE O'TOOLE (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: High altar in Carrara marble.
Refs: N. Donnelly, Short histories of Dublin Parishes III (1913), 137

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CASTLEKNOCK, CHURCH OF ST BRIGID (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Memorial to Rev. George O'Connell (d. 1842), signed 'A. Ballantine & Kirwan fecit'.
Refs: H. Potterton, Irish Church Monuments 1570-1880 (UAHS, 1975), 36