KERR, JOHN ROBERT
- Born: - Died: -
Architect and engineer, of Cork. John Kerr, who was born in Co. Sligo in 1861 or 1862,(1) graduated with the BE degree from Queen's College, Cork, in 1881.(2) He s listed as an architect in Cork in Guy's Cork Directory for 1893. He was engineer of the Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway from 1900 or earlier.(3) In 1906 he was in charge of the scheme for connecting the railway to the Great Southern and Western Railway in Cork.(4) By 1916 he had become general manager as well as engineer.(4) He retained this position until at least 1922(5) and probably until the company was amalgamated with the Great Southern Railway in 1924. His pupils and assistants included EUGENE ADOLPHE LOGIER.& #160; At the time of the 1911 census, he had been married to his wife, Jannet Mary, for twenty-one years and had three children.
Address: 37 Gillabbey, Bishopstown, Cork, 1911.
(1) 1911 census of Ireland, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (last visited Oct 2009). He may be the John R. King Kerr, son of Matthew and Mary Ann Kerr, who was christened in Dromore West parish church, Ballina, on 30 July 1861 (www.familysearch.org)..
(1) Information from Aiofe Ni Bhraoin, Cork College Archives.
(2) Thom's Directory (1900), 1021; IB 42, 15 Feb 1900, 281.
(3) IB 48, 15 Dec 1906, 1014.
(4) Guy's Cork Almanac and Directory (1916), 108.
(5) Thom's Directory (1922), 1046.