Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Derry City, active from circa 1873 until circa 1893. Kennedy was possibly a pupil of GEORGE CARLISLE HENDERSON GEORGE CARLISLE HENDERSON , who proposed him for membership of the RIAI in 1878.(1) He is presumably the John Kennedy 'of London' who designed a wine merchant's premises in Waterloo Place, Derry, in 1873.(2) His pupils and assistants included WILLIAM EDWARD PINKERTON.  WILLIAM EDWARD PINKERTON.

RIAI: proposed as member by G.C. Henderson, seconded by ALBERT EDWARD MURRAY  ALBERT EDWARD MURRAY and JAMES HIGGINS OWEN JAMES HIGGINS OWEN , 13 November 1878;(3) elected 28 November 1878;(4) resigned membership, 1893.(5)

Addresses:(6) 18 Shipquay Street, 1876-77; 10 Castle Street, 1878-85; 9 Castle Street, 1888; 74 Great James's Street, 1888-94.

See WORKS.



References



(1) RIAI council meeting minutes, 13 Nov 1878, 213 (?or 214).
(2) The winner of the competition for a new church at Strabane the following year was also described as 'Mr Kennedy of London' in IB 16, 1 Sep 1874, 240, but this was amended to 'Mr John Kennedy of Londonderry' in IB 16, 1 Dec 1874, 322.
(3) See note 1, above.
(4) Jones citing RIAI ?general meeting minutes, 28 Nov 1878, ?214.
(5) Jones citing RIAI minutes, 1893; RIAI list of members, 1895.
(6) From Derry Almanac and RIAI lists of members..


7 work entries listed in chronological order for KENNEDY, JOHN [3]


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, WATERLOO PLACE, PREMISES (DAVID M. SMITH)
Date: 1873
Nature: Remodelling of premises of David N. Smith, wine merchant, by 'John Kennedy, London'. Builder: G. & R. Ferguson.
Refs: IB 15, 1 May 1873, 123

Building: CO. TYRONE, STRABANE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, CAMUS-JUXTA-MOURNE PARISH)
Date: 1874-1877
Nature: New cruciform church to seat 400 (or 420) in early English Gothic style, with 3-bay arcaded nave, aisle and massive belfry tower with broach spire. JK winner of competition. Contractor: James McClay, Strabane (£4,200). FS laid by Duchess of Abercorn, 17 Nov 1874. Consecratedby Bishop of Derry, 30 Oct 1879.
Refs: IB 16, 1 Sep,15 Nov,1 Dec 1874, 240,319,322(illus.);  Building News 27, 25 Sep 1874, ? (illus.) (see Archiseek, below, for illustration);  B 32, 5 Dec 1874, 1020; Londonderry Sentinel, 28 Oct 1879 (see Archiseek, below for full text);  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 21, no. 249, 1 Dec 1879, supplement, p.6;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 68,492-3; Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999), Pt. I, 50(illus.); Archiseek, http://archiseek.com/2013/1877-christ-church-of-ireland-strabane-co-tyrone/#.UZOVbtxOOot (last visited, May 2013)

Building: CO. TYRONE, EDENDERRY (OMAGH), CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1876-77
Nature: Addition of chancel, vestry, porch and bellcote; 'entire building has been remodelled'. New pulpit and reading desk. Church reopened Jan 1877. To cost about £450.
Refs: IB 19, 1 Feb 1877, 46;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 215, 1 Mar 1877, 78.

Building: CO. TYRONE, DUNNAMANAGH, CHURCH OF ST JAMES (CI, DONAGHEADY PARISH)
Date: 1877-79
Nature: New church, replacing church of 1788.  Early English style. Cruciform with nave, transepts, chancel (with vestry on S side)m tower (which forms porch) and spire.  FS laid 25 Jul 1877.  Built of rubble whinstone from neighbouring quarry with dressings, spire, &c. of Dungiven freestone. Contractors: Colhoun Bros., Derry.  Consecrated  28 Nov 1879.  Cost: £2,600.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 220, Jul 1877, 214;  22, no. 1, 3 Jan 1880, 18;  IB 20, 15 Apr 1878, 115,119(illus.);  James B. Leslie, Derry Clergy and Parishes (Enniskillen, 1937), 194; exterior illus. in  Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999), 66;  interior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 167.  

Building: CO. DONEGAL, KILTEEVOGUE, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1877-79
Nature: New church (replacing earlier church). Money being collected for same, Aug 1877. FS laid, 10 Nov 1877. Consecrated 16 Jul 1879. 4-bay , nave, short chancel, offset tower with spire at W end.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 221, Aug 1877, 247;  no. 225, 1 Dec 1877, 379; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 307;  F.W. Fawcett and D.W.T. Crooks, eds., Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999),  158(illus.).

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, HARBOUR, HARBOUR COMMISSIONERS' OFFICE
Date: 1882
Nature: 2-storey, 7-bay Italianate.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 390

Building: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, JOHN STREET, CATHEDRAL (FORMERLY CHURCH) OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1888
Nature: Restoration, mainly in region of roof, completed. Architect: 'Mr Kennedy'. Contractor: George Kerr, Sligo.
Refs: IB 30, 1 Nov 1888, 278;  interior and exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 249.