KELLY, JOHN WILLIAM
- Born: - Died: -
Engineer, of Ennis, Co. Clare. Kelly had become a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland by 1849.(1) In 1859 two papers written by him in December 1858, 'On the cause of failure of bridges on mountain rivers' and 'Description of a high weir built across a mountain river' were read to the Institute. He was no longer a member by 1870. There would appear to be no connection between John William Kelly and the John W. Kelly, CE, who, according to the Jones files (source not stated), is recorded as living at 12 Poolbeg Street, Dublin, from 1847 until 1865 and at 32 Gardiner's Place from 1868 until 1875. A John W. Kelly was working for the Drainage Commissioners in the 1840s and was the author of the Report on the proposed drainage of the lands along the Athboy River amd portion of the River Boyne which was published in Dublin in 1843.
See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY
(1) TICEI 3 (1847-49), list of members.
(2) TICEI 5 (1855-59), 155-161,161-169.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for KELLY, JOHN WILLIAM
|Building:||CO. WICKLOW, POWERSCOURT|
|Nature:||Proposal for repairing embankment and erecting overfall for artificial lake in Deer Park for 7th Viscount Powerscourt.|
|Refs:||Design, specification and accompanying letter, all dated 29 Sep 1860, in IAA, Powerscourt Album 1, pages 58 and 87(P).|
|Kelly, John William||'Description of a high weir built across a mountain river'||1859||TICEI 5 (1855-59), 161-169.|
|Kelly, John William||'On the cause of failure of bridges on mountain rivers'||1859||TICEI 5 (1855-59), 155-161; DB 1, 1 Mar 1859, 27.|