Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder, of 47 Cuffe Street, Dublin, listed as such in Wilson's Dublin Directory for the years 1807 to 1820. Thomas Kearns also appears in Pigot & Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824).   According to a list of brick- and stone-layers which was compiled by his fellow tradesmen in March 1834, Kearns 'Made a property & made some Houses in Cullens wood [and] died in good circumstances about 8 years since'.(1)  His will is dated 1826.(2)   The Thomas Kearns who appears at the same address in Wilson's directories for 1835 to 1837 and in the Post Office Directory for 1839 may have been his son. From 1835 onwards CHRISTOPHER KEARNS  CHRISTOPHER KEARNS is also listed at the same address.



References



(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(2) Arthur Vicars, Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810 (1897), 511.