Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

County surveyor for Co. Westmeath , 1876-1927. Arthur Edward Joyce, a son of Arthur Appleyard Joyce, JP, of Rahasane Park, co. Galway, was born on 10 May 1851. He studied engineering at the Royal College of Science for three years and received the diploma in engineering in June 1875. He then spent eighteen months as a pupil of JAMES PRICE [1] JAMES PRICE [1] . On 15 December 1876 he was appointed county surveyor for Westmeath, a position which he filled with courteous and genial efficiency for fifty years. In addition, according to his obituary in the Westmeath Examiner, he 'mapped and planned the Rosslare and Fishguard route' and was a promoter of the Mullingar, Kells & Drogheda Railway and the Mullingar& Mountmellick Railway.

Joyce died on 11 January 1927 as the result of a hunting accident. He had been an enthusiastic member of the Westmeath Hunt throughout the fifty years he lived in the county, and was also responsible for the formation of the Westmeath Polo Club in 1881. After his funeral at Mullingar Cathedral, his coffin was carried through the town by the road workers who had been associated with him, in tribute to his personal popularity and professional effectiveness. He was buried in Walshestown cemetery. At the time of the 1911 census he was a widower.

ICEI: elected member 11 April 1877.(2)

Addresses:(3) Prospect, Mullingar, 1877-1889; Belmont, Mullingar, 1890->=1896; Ballinagore, Westmeath, <=1898->=1913; Earl Street, Mullingar, <=1911 until death.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from ICEI membership applications, II, 50, and from the obituary and account of his funeral in the Westmeath Examiner, 15 Jan 1927. the fullest account of Joyce's career as county surveyor is in Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 219-220.


(1) TICEI 53 (1926-27), 233.
(2) TICEI 12 (1876-79), 34.
(3) From TICEI membership lists.


9 work entries listed in chronological order for JOYCE, ARTHUR EDWARD


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1889-90
Nature: Additions, including Turkish bath, with W. Kaye Parry. £21,500. Builder: J. Good. Electric light, 1890. Water supply, drainage and sanitary plumbing. Also boiler house & chimney?
Refs: IAA, PKS 0681, B14/47, B15/17, A07 (Apr 1889-Jun 1890, pp.338,387-388); IB 30, 15 Nov 1888, 282; 32, 1 Dec 1890, 283;  Architect  41, 31 May 1889, suppl. p.2; 42, 11 Oct 1889, suppl. p.2;  candidate's circular, 6 Nov 1893, submitted to Inst. CE (information from Miss Carol Arrowsmith, Inst.CE archives); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 420,Pl.129.

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1889-90
Nature: Additions, including Turkish bath, with W. Kaye Parry. £21,500. Builder: J. Good. Electric light, 1890. Water supply, drainage and sanitary plumbing. Also boiler house & chimney?
Refs: IAA, PKS 0681, B14/47, B15/17, A07 (Apr 1889-Jun 1890, pp.338,387-388); IB 30, 15 Nov 1888, 282; 32, 1 Dec 1890, 283;  Architect  41, 31 May 1889, suppl. p.2; 42, 11 Oct 1889, suppl. p.2;  candidate's circular, 6 Nov 1893, submitted to Inst. CE (information from Miss Carol Arrowsmith, Inst.CE archives); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 420,Pl.129.

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1897;1900
Nature: Boiler house, 1897 (Builder: J. Good); kitchen, scullery and pantry fittings, 1900.
Refs: IAA, PKS B17/36 and A08 (May 1897); IB 42, 15 Oct 1900, 510

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, FAIR GREEN, SANDES SOLDIERS' HOME
Date: 1903
Nature: New. For Miss Elise Sandes. Tenders sought, Oct 1903.
Refs: IB 45, 8 Oct,5 Nov 1903, 2026,2074; B 85, 3 Oct 1903, 346; see Bryan MacMahon, 'Sandes Soldiers' Homes', Irish Sword Vol. 25, No. 1 (Summer, 2007), 241-256

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, COUNTY INFIRMARY
Date: 1908-09
Nature: New operating theatre erected with money from bequest of Miss Julia Duignan in memory of her brother Dr Charles Duignan. (Also extensions to rear, c.1910?)
Refs: IB 50, 5 Sep 1908, 537; www.buildingsof ireland.ie

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, COUNTY HALL
Date: 1910-13
Nature: New. Builder: James Wynne, Dundalk. Completed Spring, 1913. Cost: over £5,000.
Refs: Copy drawings, signed by Joyce & James Wynne, 10 & 20 Aug 1910, in Westmaeath County Library, Mullingar; IB 52, 6 Aug 1910, 504; 55, 12 Apr 1913, 245; Building News 99, 12 Aug 1910, 244; 104, 18 Apr 1913, 543

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ATHLONE, COURT HOUSE
Date: 1911-16
Nature: New. Builder: C. Mullvary & Son, Roscommon.
Refs: IB 53, 8 Jul 1911, 461; 56, 31 Jan,28 Mar 1914, 75,199; 58, 10 Jun 1016, 256

Building: CO. MEATH, ATHBOY, LISCLOGHER, HOUSE
Date: 1913
Nature: New, for Mr. J.E. Knott. Tenders sought.
Refs: IB 55, 26 Apr 1913, 287

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, TECHNICAL SCHOOL
Date: 1920
Nature: New.
Refs: IB 62, 10 Apr 1920, 230