Selected: JOSEPH & SMITHEM #


Born: -
Died: -


Architectural partnership, of London, formed in 1885 by Nathan Solomon Joseph (1834/5-1909) and Charles James Smithem (d. 1937), for whom see Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), I, 1047, and II, 658. Jones & Smithem, later Jones, Son, & Smithem, were architects to the Guinness Trust. For Dublin they designed the Bull Alley complex of workmen's housing in Bride Street and Patrick Street (1901-c.1904), the workmen's hotel in Bride Road known as Iveagh House (1904) and the public baths in Bride Road (1905-6).(1)

See WORKS.

References


(1) IB 43, 30 Jan,20 Jun 1901, 606,767; 45, 30 Jul 1903, 1883; 46, 17 Jun 1904, 862; 47, 29 Jul 1905, 525; 49, 6 Apr 1907, 234; some of the earlier references wrongly give the design to Delissa Joseph (1859-1927), the nephew of Nathan Solomon Joseph.

3 work entries listed in chronological order for JOSEPH & SMITHEM #


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET (& BRIDE STREET), IVEAGH TRUST ARTISANS' DWELLINGS SCHEME
Date: 1901-1904ca
Nature: Bull Alley development of 250 tenements and 26 shops. Supervised by Kaye Parry & Ross.
Refs: IB 43, 16,30 Jan,20 Jun 1901, ?,606,767; 45, 30 Jul 1903, 1883; 49, 6 Apr 1907, 234;    Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 653.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BRIDE ROAD, IVEAGH HOUSE
Date: 1904
Nature: 'workmen's hotel' containing 516 cubicles and communal washing, dining facilities &c.. Supervised by Kaye Parry & Ross (but Casey says supervised by R.J. Stirling. Builder: S.H. Bolton & Sons.
Refs: IB 46, 17 Dec 1904, 862; 47, 29 Jul 1905, 525; 49, 6 Apr 1907, 234; B 89, 12 Aug 1905, 189;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 653.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BRIDE ROAD, IVEAGH TRUST PUBLIC BATHS
Date: 1905-06
Nature: Erection of building designed by Joseph & Smithem supervised by Kaye Parry & Ross. Opened 6 Jun 1906. Builder: W. Beckett, Percy Pl.
Refs: IB 46, 17 Dec 1904, 862; 48, 16 Jun 1906, 484; 49, 6 Apr 1907, 234;    Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 653-4.