JONES, CHARLES BOOTH
- Born: 1843 Died: 1919
County surveyor for the southern division of Cork East Riding, 1872, and for Co. Sligo, 1872-1906. Charles Booth Jones, son of Charles Jones,(1) was born in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, on 11 June 1843. He entered Trinity College, Dublin, in October 1861 and received the Licence in Civil Engineering in 1864.(2) He then served as pupil and assistant to Charles Hazlett Swiney until 1868, the year of Swiney's death.(3) He next became an assistant to JOHN HENRY BRETT , county surveyor for the western division of Co. Limerick and, from 1869, for Co. Kildare, with whom he remained until December 1871. In December 1871 he came first in the county surveyorship examinations and on 1 February 1872 was appointed to the county surveyorship of the southern division of the east riding of Co. Cork at a salary of £400 per annum.(4) On 4 May of the same year he was transferred to Co. Sligo.
After nearly thirty-four years in the Co. Sligo surveyorship, Jones tendered his resignation on medical grounds in March 1906 but remained in post until the appointment of his successor, ROBERT JOSEPH KIRWAN , in February 1907.(5) After retiring he moved to Dublin, where he died on 30 November 1919. He was buried at Mount Jerome cemetery with his wife Jincie (née Pollock)(d.1945)
Inst.CE: elected member 6 December 1881 (proposed by JOHN BOWER ); resigned 19 December 1899.
RSAI: elected member, 1879.(6)
GLFI: became member of Lodge 250 (Dublin) on 4 February 1871.(7)
Addresses: 19 Trinity College & County Surveyor's Office, Athy, 1871;(8) The Mall, Sligo, <=1881->=1899; 10 Maxwell Road, Ratmines, Dubloin, 1911.(9)
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the archives of the Institution of Civil Engineers, London, kindly transmitted by Mrs Carol Morgan, Archivist, and from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 217, which gives the fullest account of Jones's career.
(1) Possibly Charles John Jones of Rushen, Enniskillen, who is listed among the nobility and gentry in Belfast and Province of Ulster Directory (1852), 556.
(2) R.C. Cox, compiler, Trinity College School of Engineering: 'Graduates' in Engineering 1843-1992 (1993), unpaginated.
(3) For Swiney, see Sarah Bendall, ed., Dictionary of Land Surveyors and Local Map-Makers of Great Britain and Ireland 1530-1850 (2nd edition, 1997), II, 498 (S633)
(4) IB 14, 1 Feb 1872, 46.
(5) (Sligo Champion, 3 Mar 1906 (B.O'D.).
(6) JRSAI 19 (1889), list of members.
(7) GLFI archives.
(8) See note 7, above.
(9) 1911 census of Ireland, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (last visited Oct 2009).
4 work entries listed in chronological order for JONES, CHARLES BOOTH
|Building:||CO. CORK, CROSSHAVEN, HARBOUR|
|Nature:||New pier just completed; sea wall also being erected. Builder: Joshua Hargrave, Cork.|
|Refs:||IB 15, 15 Apr 1873, 109|
|Building:||CO. SLIGO, BILLA (BALLYSADARE), BRIDGE|
|Nature:||Single-arch masonry bridge over Owenbeg river. Designed by CBJ. Builder: McDonough, Ballysadare. Cost: £500.
|Refs:||Inscription on bridge, quoted by Terence O'Rorke, History of Sligo (1889), II, 556; William Gregory Wood Martin, History of Sligo, county and town, from the earliest ages to the close of the reign of Queen Elizabeth (to the present time) (Dublin, 1882-92), III, 201; Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 217; National Inventory of Architectural Heritage http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?county=SL&name=&town=&townland=0194&type=quick&page=1 (last visited 8 Oct 2008)|
|Building:||CO. SLIGO, TUBBERCURRY, RUE BURIAL GROUND|
|Nature:||Execution of all works at, for Tobercurry RDC.|
|Refs:||IB 45, 7 May,4 Jun 1903, 1750,1810|
|Building:||CO. SLIGO, EASKEY, SEWERAGE|
|Nature:||Tender of M. Kevany, Lugmore, for £253 accepted.|
|Refs:||IB 46, 17,31 Dec 1904, 870,886|