HAMMOND, SIMON *
- Born: - Died: 1748a
Mason and master builder, of Dublin, active from the 1720s until the 1740s. Simon Hammond was overseer of bricklayers for the new Parliament House from 1729(1) and worked under MICHAEL WILLS at Steevens's Hospital in the 1730s.(2) He was one of two representatives of the Guild of Bricklayers on the Common Council of Dublin, 1738-1741.(3) A transcript of his will, which was granted in the Prerogative Court in 1748, is listed in theEneclann Index of Irish Wills 1484-1858 (CD).(4)
Address: Abbey Street, 1838.(5)
(1) Jhof CIV, xxxi- (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(2) MS. cash book of Michael Wills, Acc. 80/81.
(2) CARD VIII, 480.
(3) Index of Irish Wills 1484-1858 (Eneclann CD-ROM), Document ID 29482; NA/PRO (Kew) SO 1.20 f.77 have reference to him working as a bricklayer on the Four Courts in 1749 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(4) Nodlaig P. Hardiman and Máire Kennedy, eds., A Directory of Dublin for the year 1738 (Dublin Corporation Public Libraries, 2000), 43.