Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Amateur architect and Church of Ireland clergyman.  Henry Hutchings was born in Co. Wexford in 1818, the son, according to Alumni Dublinenses, of Robert Hutchings 'Generosus [gentleman]'.(1)   He was admitted to Trinity College, Dublin, in 1840 at the age of twenty and obtained the BA degree in 1844.  Henry Hutchings, 'AB, TCD' and architect, appears in Thom's Directory for 1858 at No. 5 Antila Place, Ballsbridge, Dublin, but, if he had ever been in any doubt about which career to pursue, by 1874, when he received the MA degree, he had chosen the Church. The Post Office Directory for 1874 lists the Rev. Henry Hutchings simply as 'curate of Skerry and Rathcavan' at Fairy Villa, Sandymount Avenue, Dublin.  

After holding the curacies of Skerry and Rathcavan, Co. Antrim, and Charlemont, Co. Armagh, Hutchings became rector of Kilcluney, Co. Armagh, in 1877.  With a leaning towards religious ceremony which he was not able to indulge in his church, in 1886 he created an elaborately decorated private chapel in the rectory, known locally as 'The Abbey', where he was able to conduct services with a robed choir.   For the parish church he is said to have carved the pulpit and communion rails and probably also the framed passages from the scriptures on either side of the east window.(2)   The stained glass of 1896 in the east window by Mayer of Munich commemorates his ministry.

Henry Hutchings retired from Kilcluney in 1896 and died in 1899,  He was married to Charlotte (née Wall) and had five children.

See WORKS.



References

Information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Bygones and Byways, http://www.bygonesandbyways.com/folders/individuals/henry_hutchings.htm (last visited, Apr 2014).  This website includeshotographs of the chapel interior.


(1) G.D. Burtchaell & T.U. Sadleir, eds., Alumni Dublinenses (1935), 422.
(2) Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 265.


2 work entries listed in chronological order for HUTCHINGS, HENRY


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ARMAGH, GLASDRUMMOND (OR GLASSDRUMMOND), KILCLOONEY (OR KILCLUNEY) RECTORY
Date: 1886-1890
Nature: Creation of private chapel in rectory with Romanesque and Flamboyant Gothic detail. (Interior moved to parish hall, 1995). Chapel opened 1890 by Rev. W.P. Magee, rector of Kilmore.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 265;  illus. in Bygones and Byways,  http://www.bygonesandbyways.com/folders/individuals/henry_hutchings.htm (last visited, Apr 2014).

Building: CO. ARMAGH, GLASDRUMMOND (OR GLASSDRUMMOND), CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI, KILCLOONEY OR KILCLUNEY PARISH)
Date: ?
Nature: Scripture panels on both sides of E window with 'hybrid arched Gothic frames carved with Romanesque chevrons...must be the work of the skilful C19  rectore, the Rev. Henry Hutchings'.(Mulligan).  HH also carved communion rail and pulpit.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 265; 
Bygones and Byways,  http://www.bygonesandbyways.com/folders/individuals/henry_hutchings.htm (last visited, Apr 2014).