BARRINGTON, WILLIAM 
- Born: 1825 Died: 1895
Civil engineer and architect, of Limerick. William Barrington, son of Benjamin Barrington and Catherine (née Christie) was born in Limerick on 14 March 1825(1) and became a pupil of Sir JOHN MACNEILL at the age of twenty. During the last part of his pupilage he acted as resident engineer on Great Southern and Western Railway from Dundrum to Kilmallock, and in 1850 he was resident engineer on the construction of the Cork Tunnel. He was assistant engineer on the Killarney Junction Railway under WILLIAM RICHARD LE FANU , from February 1851 until September 1852, assistant engineer on the Limerick and Foynes Railway under Le Fanu, from 1854 to 1859, and chief engineer on the Castleconnell to Killaloe extension of the Waterford and Limerick line, from1864 or earlier until 1866 or later. Between 1860 and 1884 he was involved in the construction of the following lines: the Rathkeale and Newcastle Junction line, with Sir JOHN BENSON , from 1861;(2) the Limerick and Kerry line, from 1874 or earlier until 1875 or later; the Ilen valley and Bantry extensions of the Cork and Bandon line; and the West Clare line, from 1874 or earlier until 1875 or later. During the same period he was also involved in the arterial drainage system of Ireland, and with THOMAS FOSBERRY and WILLIAM SIDNEY COX designed and carried out, as chief engineer, the drainage of the Mulkear district. After 1884 the onset of creeping paralysis, thought to have been caused by the shock of his wife's sudden death, prevented him from undertaking much work. For the last seven years of his life he was a complete invalid. He died on 12 January 1895. He was the uncle of WILLIAM BARRINGTON . (3) His pupils and assistants included RICHARD ALOYSIUS LAVERTINE and THOMAS WILLIAM MILES.
Barrington was one of the architects, surveyors and engineers who produced drawings of properties to illustrate the incumbered estate rentals in the 1850s.(4)
Inst.CE: elected member, 6 February 1872.
Addresses:(5) 51 George Street, Limerick, 1867; 22 Barrington Street, 1870; 84 George St, Limerick, <=1875 to >=1886; The Ferns, Castleconnell, Co. Limerick, at time of death.(6)
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Thom's directories and from the obituary of Barrington in Min.Proc.Inst.CE 120 (1894-5), Pt. 2, 341-2
(2) IB 3, 1 Sep 1861, 621.
(3) Postal Directory of Munster (1886).
(3) Limerick Leader,12 Jan 1895.
(4) His romantic view of Garry Kennedy demesne, Co. Tipperary , sold on 5 Nov 1857, is reproduced in Mary C. Lyons, Illustrated Incumbered Estates Ireland, 1850-1905 (1993), 194.
(5) Typescript transcript of references to architects, engineers and bulders in Limerick City trades directories, 1769-1891, by Michael Maguire, Limerick City Library.
(6) Limerick Leader, 12 Jan1895.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for BARRINGTON, WILLIAM 
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CARLISLE BRIDGE (NEW)|
|Refs:||DB 4, 1 Sep 1862, 216|
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, PERY SQUARE, PEOPLE'S PARK|
|Nature:||New public park, of c.10 acres and embracing old Pery Sq opened by mayor, 20 Aug 1877. Formed by subscription in memory of late Richard Russell of John Morriss Russell & Sons. Fountain erected by employees of firm.|
|Refs:||IB 19, 1 Sep 1877, 252|