HUGHES, JAMES JOSEPH *
- Born: 1817 Died: 1881
Stonecutter, of Dublin. James Joseph Hughes, a son of JOHN HUGHES , stonecutter of Dublin, and younger brother of WILLIAM HUGHES , was baptised at St Mary's Catholic church, Marlborough Street, Dublin, on 14 December 1817. He may possibly be the James Hughes who was awarded a premium by the Royal Dublin Society's Drawing School of Drawing in Architecture on 17 December 1835.(1) He had joined his father in business at 100 Talbot Street, Dublin, by 1841 and is subsequently recorded as a marble mason, chimneypiece and monument manufacturer at 97 and, later, 87 Talbot Street. In the mid-1850s he went to London, returning to Dublin in 1860. At some point he resumed business in London. Her died at his residence, 11 Henry Street, Hampstead Road, London, on 19 April 1881.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for was supplied by Paul Byrne, great-great-great grandson of John Hughes, in letter to A.M. Rowan, 10 Mar 2002.
(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Drawing admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).