Architect, of Dublin. Thomas Hudman, only child of Daniel Hudman, debt collector, by his wife Sophia Matilda (née Barrand) was born in North Hyde, Middlesex, England, on 18 September 1852 and was articled to ROBERT WILLIAM EDIS in London in 1867, serving a four-year pupillage. He is described as an architect in the English census of 1871, when he was living with his parents in the Canal Office, Paddington, where his father was second clerk. After completing his pupillage he worked as an assistant in the offices of Frederic Chancellor in London and William Dawes and William Reid Corson in Manchester. He came to Ireland later in the 1870s to work in the office of WILLIAM HAGUE and subsequently joined the staff of JAMES HARGRAVE BRIDGFORD.& #160; In 1893 he set up his own practice.
Hudman was an active participant in the revival of the Architectural Association of Ireland in 1896 and, according to his obituarist in the Irish Builder, was 'largely instrumental in forming the classes which were then constituted'. He gave lectures and arranged tours for the association and in 1900 was temporary secretary of the sketching and camera club. Several of his photographs were published in the Irish Builder and were used to illustrate the Irish section of the American Architect and Builder's publication, The Georgian Period, issued in parts between 1899 and 1902. Hudman was invited to contribute the text for this section in 1901, as a result of his having given a lecture on Georgian architecture to the AAI the previous year. In December 1906 he embarked on a series of articles on 'The Industrial Resources of Ireland' for the Irish Builder. In announcing the series, the Irish Builder noted that his 'well-known practical knowledge and close acquaintance with the building trade [and] his habits of observation of such matters peculiarly fit him to write such a series of articles'. Only two of the promised series of articles actually appeared.
In 1885 Hudman married Ada Pile, a sister of Thomas Pile, auctioneer and wholesale fishmonger, who became lord mayor of Dublin in 1900 and was created a baronet in the same year. They had one child. Through his connection with the Pile family Hudman received the commission to design Earlsfort Mansions, a block of flats on Earlfort Terrace, which were erected by the builder James P. Pile, who was probably also a brother of Ada Pile, in 1896. Hudman's last recorded commission was for the Exchange Buildings in Lord Edward Street, erected in 1910-1912. In his latter years he gave up architecture and became secretary to the hosiery manufacturers Smyth & Co., of Balbriggan, although, according to his obituarist, 'his heart always remained with his old profession of architect'. He died at his home, 2 Kenilworth Road, Dublin, on 8 February 1937 at the age of eighty-five. His widow survived him.
AAI: elected member, 1897; lecture on 'Architectural Practice 200 Years Ago', 7 Nov 1899; secretary of sketching & camera club, 1900; lecture on 'Georgian Architecture in Dublin', 20 Nov 1900; vice-president, 1901-1902; lecture on 'Irish Abbeys', 31 January 1905; membership lapsed 1906; renewed membershuip 1913; lecture on 'The Annual Excursion, 1914', 15 Dec 1914; membership lapsed again, 1924.
RIAI: elected member, 16 Dec 1899, having been proposed by WILLIAM KAYE-PARRY , seconded by WILLIAM MANSFIELD MITCHELL and RICHARD CAULFIELD ORPEN ; membership lapsed 1903.
Addresses: Work: 49 Dawson Street, 1899.
Home: 16 Peafield Terrace, Blackrock, <=1879->=1883; 3 Summerville Terrace, North Circular Rd, 1896; Marsworth, Sandford Road, <=1899->=1902; 27 Belgrave Rd, Rathmines, <=1907-1912; 2 Kenilworth Road, Rathgar, 1913 until death.
See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile), from the obituary of Hudman in IB 79, 20 Feb 1937, 161, and from a submission by LaMar W. Skeen, Ogden, Utah, to www.familysearch.org.
IB 42, 15 Jul 1900, 427.
IB 42, 1 Aug 1900, 432 (Jerpoint Abbey); 43, 15,29 Aug 1901, 835,848 (Castletown). His photograph of a group of members of the AAI on the Association's expedition to Jerpoint in 1900 was reproduced in IB 69, 15 Oct 1927, 759.
IB 43, 13 Mar,4,18 Jul,15 Aug 1901, 654,814,819(illus.),?.
IB 48, 15,29 Dec 1906, 998,1061.
IB 48, 15 Dec 1906, 989. In at least one instance, the addition of a transept to Bray Presbyterian church, Hudman seems to have acted as a building contractor, see Irish Times, 12 Sep 1890.
B 70, 7 Mar 1896, 218. Hudman's obituarist states that he built many houses in Ranelagh, which may also have been a result of the connection with James P. Pile, perhaps a brother-in-law who lived at Sandford Park and developed the row of half-timbered houses along the Sandford Road periphery of the property. The very English style of these half-timbered houses suggests that Hudman could also have designed the half-timbered terrace at Nos. 20-31 Charleston Avenue, Ranelagh. He probably also designed Sandford Park, which Pile built for himelf in 1894 (see Deirdre Kelly, Four Roads to Dublin (Dublin: O'Brien Press, 1995), 116) and may also have designed Sandford Rectory (see Susan Roundtree, Ranelagh in Pictures (Ranelagh Arts Festival, 2009), 53). Another terrace of similar half-timbered houses is in Sandymoutnt Avenue, beside the station.
IB 52, 11 Jun 1910, 365; 54, 6 Jan 1912, 14.
Copy of death certificate in Jones files; the date of his date is wrongly stated to be 8 Feb 1936 in www.familysearch.org.
From lists of members and reports of general meetings in AAI Green Books unless otherwise stated.
IB 41, 15 Nov 1899, 188.
IB 42, 15 Jul 1900, 427.
IB 42, 1 Dec 1900, 560 (or 563?).
AAI Green Book (1916), 30.
RIAI annual general meeting minutes, 16 Dec 1899, 340.
RIAI lists of members.
From AAI and RIAI lists of members and Thom's directories unless otherwise stated.
IB 41, 15 Oct 1899, 158.
IB 54, 6 Jan 1912, 14.
Not Kenilworth Terrace, as stated in AAI membership lists.