Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder, of 16 Phoenix Street, Dublin, listed as such in Wilson's Dublin Directory for the years 1831-1837. Hopkins of Phoenix Street appears on a list of Dublin master carpenters and builders compiled in March 1834.(1)    In an advertisement placed in the first number of the Dublin Builder in January 1859 William Hopkins & Son describe themselves as 'By Appointment Contractors to her Majesty's Hon. Board of Ordnance'. Hopkins remains in the directories until 1863, when he gives a second address at Newcastle, Rathcoole. He has disappeared by 1874.



References



(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31;  this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.