Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect and 'CE', of Dublin. John Holmes appears to have been a son of John Holmes, who had a hosiery and linen warehouse at 10 William Street and lived at Castlewood House, Rathmines. His first appearance as an architect is in partnership with THOMAS HOLBROOK  THOMAS HOLBROOK in 1865 as the designer of additions and improvements to Rathmines Methodist Church.(1) At about this time he became a member of the RIAI's association for architectural study but was struck off in 1866.(2) He subsequently practised independently. Although he retained an office until his death in 1900, very few works by him are recorded, and it may be that he was more a man of means than a serious architect. He died in 1900.(3)

AAI: elected member, 1872;(4) co-auditor, 1874.(5)
ICEI: elected associate, 1 June 1881.(6)

Addresses:(7) 180 Great Brunswick Street, 1865;(8) 10 William Street, 1871-1877; 114 (or 113?) Stephen's Green West, 1879-82; 11 Fleet Street, 1884-1900.
Home: Castlewood House, Rathmines, 1865-71; 13 Cambridge Road, Rathmines, 1874; 38 Haddington Road, 1884-1900 (and Kilrock, Howth, 1884, only).

See WORKS.



References



(1) DB 7, 15 Sep 1865, 228; curiously his application for membership of the ICEI (ICEI membership applications, II, 93) made in 1881, states that 'he has served his terms as an architect and has practised as such for the last 7[sic] years'.
(2) RIAI council meeting minutes, 30 Oct 1866, 60.
(3) TICEI 28 (1898-1901), report of council for 1900.
(4) IB 14, 15 Oct,15 Nov 1872, 281, 313.
(5) Post Office Directory (1874), 121.
(6) TICEI 13 (1874-1881), ?.
(7) From Thom's and Post Office directories and TICEI lists of members unless otherwise stated.
(8) DB 7, 15 Sep 1865, 228.


7 work entries listed in chronological order for HOLMES, JOHN [2]


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHARLESTON ROAD (RATHMINES), METHODIST CHURCH
Date: 1865
Nature: Alts. & imps., with Thomas Holbrook.. Contractor: Beckett, Stephen's Gn. Church re-opened 15 Sep 1865.
Refs: DB 7, 15 Sep 1865, 228

Building: CO. DUBLIN, FOXROCK, BRAY ROAD, KNOCKSINNA
Date: 1873
Nature: Mansion at Stillorgan, Dublin, for Robert Smyth, Esq., with gate lodge, ornamental gates &c.
Refs: IB 15, 15 Oct 1873, 281

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHMINES, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1875
Nature: Submits two entries in competition.
Refs: IB 17, 15 May 1875, 135(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HOWTH, SCHOOL (CI)
Date: 1880-81
Nature: New school for vestry of Howth C of I church. Opened, May 1880.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 22, no, 14, 3 Apr 1880, 285; no. 15, 8 May 1880, 384;  Irish Times, 21 Apr 1881, 7.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HOWTH, KILROCK
Date: 1880a
Nature: JH may have designed this detached, 4-bedroom house, 'facing the sea', which he advertised to let 'for a season' in June 1880 (and lived in briefly himself in 1884).
Refs: Irish Times, 24 Jun 1880, 8.

Building: CO. MEATH, LONGWOOD (TRIM), DISPENSARY & DWELLING HOUSE
Date: 1893-4
Nature: New dispensary for Guardians of Trim Union. Tenders invited Nov 1893- Jan 1894..
Refs: IB 35, 15 Nov,1 Dec 1893, 265,273; 36, 1 Feb 1894, 28;  Irish Times, 26 Jan 1894.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FLEET STREET, NO. 006 (FRED LEWIS & CO.)
Date: 1897
Nature: Remodelling of premises destroyed by fire in Aug 1897 for Fred Lewis & Co., perfumers. Contractors: Mssrs. Warren.
Refs: Irish Times, 16 Dec 1897.