- Born: - Died: -
Architect and surveyor, of Dublin, active during the 1860s and 1870s. In 1865 Thomas Holbrook was briefly in partnership with JOHN HOLMES  as HOLMES & amp; HOLBROOK (1) and in 1872, equally briefly, with FREDERICK DARLEY as DARLEY & amp; HOLBROOK . After Darley's death, he continued to practise from 187 Brunswick Street. He was appointed secretary and surveyor to Clontarf Township circa 1871, and delivered a report at the first annual general meeting of the commissioners in October 1872.(2) He disappears from the directories after 1876. He died at some point before May 1880, when he is referred to in the Irish Builder as 'a young architect of considerable talent, who passed away some short time since, seemingly unnoticed'.(3) He is possibly the same person as the Thomas Hamilton Holbrook, who married Mary Elizabeth Patterson in Dublin on 17 September 1863.(4)
AAI: present at inaugural meeting, 3 October 1872.(5)
RIAI: elected associate, 1873.(6)
GLFI: member of Lodge 666, Dublin.(7)
Addresses: 180 Great Brunswick Street, 1866;(8) 15 Great Brunswick Sreet, 1867:(9) 196 Great Brunswick Street, 1867-1871; 187 Great Brunswick Street, 1872-1876.
Home: 1 Marino Crescent, Clontarf, 1874.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Jones's transcripts from Thom's directories.
(1) The only recorded work of the partnership is Rathmines Methodist Church, see DB 7, 15 Sep 1865, 228.
(2) IB 14, 1 Nov 1872, 298.
(3) IB 22, 1 May 1880, 131.
(5) IB 14, 15 Oct 1872, 280.
(6) RIAI general meeting minutes, 17 Apr 1873, 257.
(7) GLFI archives, Molesworth Street, Dublin.
(8) Freeman's Journal, 11 Aug 1866.
(9) Irish Times, 28 Dec 1867.
10 work entries listed in chronological order for HOLBROOK, THOMAS
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHARLESTON ROAD (RATHMINES), METHODIST CHURCH|
|Nature:||Alts. & imps., with John Holmes, to church built in 1854. Contractor: Beckett, Stephen's Gn. Church re-opened 15 Sep 1865.|
|Refs:||DB 7, 15 Sep 1865, 228|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONTARF, HOUSES (005)|
|Nature:||Tenders invited for erection of 5 houses at Clontarf for George Tickell, Aug 1866.
Freeman's Journal, 11 Aug 1866.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, LUCAN, METHODIST CHURCH|
|Nature:||New church to be built.|
|Refs:||IB 9, 1 Aug 1867, 200|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BELGRAVE SQUARE|
|Nature:||TH advertises plots of building land in Belgrave Square to let, Dec 1`867.
Irish Times, 28 Dec 1867.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHARLESTON ROAD (RATHMINES), METHODIST CHURCH SABBATH SCHOOL|
|Nature:||'A commodious and substantial building'. Contractor: Mssrs Beckett. £400.|
|Refs:||IB 12, 15 Sep 1870, 215|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RINGSEND, CHARLOTTE QUAY, IRISH GLASS BOTTLE CO.|
|Nature:||New glass and bottle works being erected on Charlotte Quay for Irish Glass Co, 'Mr Holbrook, architect'. Contractor: J. Nolan & Son.
|Refs:||Advertisement for tenders in Belfast News-Letter, 11 Apr 1870 (information from Ms Alison Moyra, Oxfordshire, Jul 2010); IB 13, 1 Feb 1871, 26|
|Building:||CO. LAOIS, ROSENALLIS, CHURCH OF ST BRIGID (CI)|
|Nature:||New tower & spire. Tenders invited Oct 1870.|
Leinster Express, 22 Oct 1870; exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 323.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHARLOTTE QUAY, FACTORY (ANDREW ECKFORD)|
|Nature:||Chemical factory & guano store.|
|Refs:||IB 13, 1 Feb 1871, 26|
|Building:||CO. OFFALY, BANAGHER, DISTILLERY|
|Nature:||Works at new distillery in former premises of Banagher Flax Co. Contractors: H. Pontifex, King's Cross, London; James Oxley, Frome, Somerset.
|Refs:||Offaly History, http://www.offalyhistory.com/articles/137/1/Banagher-Distillery/Page1.html (last visited Jul 2010 (reference supplied by Ms Alison Moyra, Oxfordshire, Jul 2010).|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BRIGHTON ROAD (RATHGAR), METHODIST CHURCH|
|Nature:||FS laid Feb 1874. Early English style. Contractors: J. & W. Beckett.|
|Refs:||IB 16, 15 Feb 1874, 63; D.M. Weir, Rathgar Methodist Church (1874), 33-38|