Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

'Architect' who, according to the Ordnance Survey Memoir of 1835 enlarged the old Presbyterian meeting house in Clondermot parish, Co. Derry, in 1748.(1) The same source gives the inscription on a sundial over the main entrance: 'The gift of Thomas Hogg to the congregation of Glandermod, anno domino[sic] 1748, William Hair, minister'. Possibly Thomas Hogg gave the money for the enlargement of the church rather than acting as its architect or builder. The will of a Thomas Hogg, 'merchant', of Derry, was proved in the Prerogative Court in 1766.(2)



References



(1) A. Day, P. McWilliams & Noirín Dobson, eds., Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Vol. 34, 5.
(2) Arthur Vicars, Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810 (1897), 234.


2 work entries listed in chronological order for HOGG, THOMAS


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DERRY, ALTNAGELVIN, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (OLD)
Date: 1748
Nature: Built 1696 and enlarged in 1748 by Thomas Hogg, architect. who also presented the sundial.
Refs: A. Day, P. McWilliams, L. English and N. Dobson, eds., Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Vol. 34: Parishes of Co. Londonderry XIII 1831-8(1996), 5

Building: CO. DERRY, CLONDERMOT, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1748
Nature: Enlargement of church by 'Thomas Hogg, architect'. For William Hair, minister.
Refs: A. Day, P. McWilliams & Noirín Dobson, eds., Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Vol. 34, 5.