- Born: - Died: -
Carpenter and architect, of Cork, active circa 1776-1801.(1) Samuel Hobbs, who lived in the parish of St Nicholas, Cork, appears to have succeeded ANDREW DALTON as carpenter to Cork Corporation. He carried out a variety of work for the Corporation between 1776 and 1800.(2) and was granted the freedom of the city on 23 January 1790.(3) The Hibernian Chronicle records the marriages of two of Hobbs's daughters: one married WILLIAM FLAHERTY on 24 April 1784, the other a Mr Murray on 18 April 1790.
(1) MS. copy book of bills, estimates, bills of measurement, valuations &c. kept by William Deane, 1797-1809, in IAA, Acc. 2009/91 (microfilm in NLI) contains reference to Hobbs as still living on 2 Mar 1801, when he signed a report (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44)
(2) There are frequent references to Hobbs during the years 1776-1800 in R. Caulfield, ed, Council Book of the Corporation of Cork (1876) from 1776 onwards.
(3) T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 208.
3 work entries listed in chronological order for HOBBS, SAMUEL
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, WANDESFORD BRIDGE|
|Nature:||Single segmental arch of red clay slate rubble. Begun Aug 1776. 'Mr Samuel Hobbs, master builder, superintended this work, and completely carried it into execution' (Tuckey). Collapsed, 20 Jan 1785 (and rebuilt?)..|
|Refs:||Francis H. Tuckey, The County and City of Cork Remembrancer (Cork, 1837), 174,180; J. Windele, Historical and descriptive notices of the City of Cork (1849), ?; APSD II, C, 147|
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, THEATRE|
|Nature:||Design for colonnade.|
|Refs:||Drawing, printed plan and estimate and other material stuck into MS commonplace book relating to theatre and social life in Cork ca 1757-1797 (P. & B. Rowan, Catalogue 31: The eighteenth century, a catalogue, no. 85)|
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, MEAT MARKET|
|Nature:||With William Flaherty.|
|Refs:||R. Caulfield, ed, Council Book of the Corporation of Cork (1876), ?|