HOARE, DEANE (REV.)
- Born: 1724 Died: 1800
Amateur architect. The Rev. Deane Hoare, a son of Robert Hoare of Cork and his wife Jane, née Newenham, was born in Cork in 1724 and admitted to Trinity College, Dublin, in 1740. He became a curate at St Mary's Cathedral, Limerick, and rector of Killeely in the north liberties of the city, where he 'designed and built a handsome house on the glebe grounds for the Incumbents' in 1768.(1) He is also said to have designed the Assembly Rooms in Limerick in 1769.(2) According to Burke's Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, he was a 'gentleman of great benevolence and philanthropy, under whose superintendance the cathedral of Limerick was much improved and beautified in 1752'. He also designed the House of Industry on the North Strand, begun in 1774.(3) He died in Limerick in 1800. He was married to Susan Ingram and had two sons in holy orders.
Address: Bow Lane, Limerick, 1769.(4)
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from www.familysearch.org and Alumni Dublinenses, 402.
(1) M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 363. Note, Lenihan mistakenly refers to 'Killeedy'.
(2) John Ferrar, The History of Limerick…to the year 1787 (1787), 206-7. See John Logan, 'Dropped into this Kingdom from the clouds': The Irish career of Davis Dukart, architect and engineer, 1761-1781', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 10 (2007), 83.
(3) Ferrar, op. cit., ?.
(4) Ferrar's Limerick Directory (1769).
3 work entries listed in chronological order for HOARE, DEANE (REV.)
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, KILLEELY, GLEBE HOUSE|
|Nature:||'In this year  the Rev. Mr Dean Hoare being Rector of Killeedy [sic], designed and built a handome house on the glebe grounds for the Incumbents. The house is in the North Liberties and commands a fine view of the Shannon, Salmon-weir, King's Island, Corbally, &c'.
M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 363. Note, Lenihan mistakenly refers to 'Killeedy', which is actually near Newcastle West.
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, ASSEMBLY MALL, ASSEMBLY ROOMS|
|Nature:||Attributed to DH by Ferrar.|
|Refs:||John Ferrar, The History of Limerick (1787), 206-7; for unsigned elevation in the collection of the Knight of Glin, see Judith Hill, The Building of Limerick (1991), 133 (Hill does not endorse the attribution to Hoare); see also John Logan, 'Dropped into this Kingdom from the clouds': The Irish career of Davis Dukart, architect and engineer, 1761-1781', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 10 (2007), 45,46(illus.)|
|Building:||CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, NORTH STRAND, HOUSE OF INDUSTRY|
|Nature:||Designed by DH. FS laid 10 Mar 1774. Completed under the superintendence of Launcelott Hill, Esq.(Registrar of the Diocese of Limerick, d. 1810)|
|Refs:||J. Ferrar, The History of Limerick…to the year 1787 (1787), ?; Patrick Fitzgerald & John James McGregor, The history, topography, and antiquities, of the county and city of Limerick (Dublin, 1826-7), II, 595.|