Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Cork. Arthur Hill, the son of HENRY HILL HENRY HILL , was born in Cork on 8 June 1846. He was sent at an early age to the local School of Art and received his general education at a private school. He studied engineering at Queen's College, Cork, obtaining the Civil Engineering Diploma with Honours in 1865.(2) He then went to London, working in the office of THOMAS HENRY WYATT  THOMAS HENRY WYATT from 1866-1867 and subsequently attending the Royal Academy Schools and the West London School of Art as well as classes in design at the Architectural Association and lectures at University College. In the eight years between 1866 and 1874 he won several awards: the Donaldson Silver Medal from University College in 1868, a Silver Medal and Life Studentship from the Royal Academy for measured drawings in 1871,(3) two Silver Medals from the RIBA for measured drawings,(4) and a National Medallion from the Department of Science and Art, South Kensington. He appears to have been in partnership with his father by December 1869.(5) He continued to practise from the same address, 22 George Street, for the rest of his active professional life, a period of some forty-seven years.

From the time of his studies in London, Hill was a keen advocate of the establishment of university degree courses in architecture. When Queen's College, Cork, established an Architectural Section in connection with the Engineering Department in 1891, he was appointed lecturer to the new section.(6) He also delivered papers on architectural topics to the AAI and other bodies.

Hill had a deep interest in the architecture of the past, especially in Celtic Romanesque architecture. His measured drawings of Ardfert Cathedral, Kilmalkedar and Templenahoe gained him the first of his RIBA Silver Medals in May 1870,(7) and his monograph on Cormac's Chapel, Cashel, the second in 1874.(8) His measured drawings of the so-called 'French Prison' at Kinsale, were published in the Irish Builder in 1874.(9) He was a regular participant in the London Architectural Association's annual excursions, recording the buildings visited in sketches and photographs, some of which were reproduced in the Irish Builder.(10) He also travelled on the Continent, chiefly under the guidance of the English architect Edmund Sharpe (1809-1877). One of these visits is recorded in the The Domed Churches of the Charente, published by the Architectural Association as a memorial to Sharpe in 1884.

Hill married, on 10 August 1881, Flora May, daughter of E.P. Houghton of Stoneby, New Brighton, by whom he had two sons and a daughter. In 1909 his elder son, HENRY HOUGHTON HILL HENRY HOUGHTON HILL , joined him in the practice, which became known as ARTHUR & ARTHUR & amp; HENRY H. HILL HENRY H. HILL . Arthur Hill continued to play an active part in the practice until 1917, when he retired as the result of a severe paralytic stroke. In this year his designs for a large church in the Irish Romanesque style were exhibited at the RHA.(11) Henry Houghton Hill recalls in his obituary of his father, that 'after a slow and tedious recovery he returned to his pencil; and in spite of very impaired powers, his chief delight still lay in designing "chateaux en Espagne"'. Arthur Hill died on 24 February 1921 at Redgarth, Douglas Road, Cork, the house which he had designed for himself, 'having finished his last little drawing,' as his son remembered, 'only five days before'. ALBERT EDWARD MURRAY  ALBERT EDWARD MURRAY described Hill as having 'a distinct personality, adhering even in his dress, to old times rather than modern' and as being 'an artist in every sense of the word, caring little for the business side of his profession'. Hill played the organ and the piano, his musical skills being much in demand on the London Architectural Association's excursions.

Hill's pupils and assistants included HUGH WILLIAM FLANAGIN HUGH WILLIAM FLANAGIN , HENRY JOHN MURPHY HENRY JOHN MURPHY ,(12)  THOMAS EDMONDE ROBERTS  THOMAS EDMONDE ROBERTS and the painter Richard Henry Albert Willis.

RIAI: elected member, December 1893;(13) elected fellow, 29 May 1906.(14)
RIBA: elected associate, 14 December 1868, proposed by Thomas Henry Wyatt, GEORGE GODWIN  GEORGE GODWIN and CHARLES JOHN PHIPPS CHARLES JOHN PHIPPS ; Elected fellow, 7 November 1887, proposed by RICHARD ARTHUR HILL RICHARD ARTHUR HILL , R.P. Spiers and A. Cates.
RSAI; elected member, 20 October 1869, having been proposed by T.R. Lane;(15) elected fellow, 1888.(16)
Cork University Engineering Students' Society: elected vice-president, 1913.(17)
RIA: member.(18)

Addresses: Work: 22 George's St, Cork, 1869 until death.
Home: 24 Keppel Street, London, 1868; Redgarth, Douglas Road, Cork, <=1903 until death.

See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY BIBLIOGRAPHY . For the purposes of this database, works by the partnership of Henry & Arthur Hill are filed under HENRY HILL HENRY HILL , and works by the partnership of Arthur & Henry H. Hill after 1917, when Arthur Hill suffered his stroke, are filed under HENRY HOUGHTON HILL. HENRY HOUGHTON HILL.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the article on Hill in IB 43, 7 Nov 1901, 919 (with portrait photograph) from the biography of Hill in Richard J. Hodges, Cork and County Cork in the Twentieth Century (1911), 218 (with portrait photograph), from Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), I, 908, and from the obituary by Henry Houghton Hill in RIBAJ 28, 19 Mar 1921, 300, with an appended tribute by Albert E. Murray. Other obituaries are in JRIAI (1922), 16-17, JCHAS 1921, 40-41, AJ 53, 23 Mar 1921, 364, and IB 63, 12 Mar 1921, 177, and Irish Book Lover 12 (1921), 142. Other photographs of Hill are in IB Jubilee Number (1909), 49; JCHAS 15 (1909), 115; AJ 53, 30 Mar 1921, 383

(1)
The degree was converted into a BE in 1869.
(2)
B 26, 27 Jun 1868, 475.
(3)
The drawings were of the round part of the Temple Church, City of London; one is in the RIBA drawings collection; see Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects G-K (1973), 106; one was exhibited at the Dublin Exhibition of Arts, Industries, Manufactures & Loan Museum in 1872, together with a design for a triumphal arch and a design for a royal residence. Hill exhibited another architectural drawing at the Irish Exhibition of Arts & Manufactures in Dublin in 1882.
(4)
He also entered the RIBA's Soane medallion compitition in 1871 and 1875, receiving honourable mention in 1871, see B 29, 11 Mar 1871, 180, and Architect 13, 29 May 1875, 313.
(5)
See IB 11, 1 Dec 1869, 274; according to H.H. Hill's obituary of his father the partnership began 'in the early seventies'.
(6)
IB , 15 May 1891, 118; 36, 15 Jan 1894, 14.
(7)
B 28, 22 Oct 1870, 853.
(8)
B 32, 8 Aug 1874, 662, IB 15, 1 Nov 1873, 296.
(9)
IB 16, 15 Aug 1874, 227.
(10)
See IB 45, 10 Sep 1903, 1986; 46, 24 Sep 1904, 614,622; 47, 4 Nov 1905, 774.)
(11)
Nos. 277-282; a a plan, perspective view and section were rebroduced in Building News, 1 Aug 1917, and a perspective view in IB 59, 27 Oct 1917, 538.
(12)
IB 50, 21 Mar 1908, 165; Murphy's illustration of the Zeus Altar at Pergamum is reproduced in the same issue.
(13)
RIAI council meeting minutes, 7 Dec 1893, 308; general meeting minutes, 16 Dec 1893, 310.
(14)
RIAI general meeting minutes, 29 May 1906, 414.
(15)
JRSAI 10 (1868-69), 435.
(16)
JRSAI 24 (1896),list of members.
(17)
IB 55, 1 Mar 1913, 129.
(18)
IB 63, 12 Mar 1921, 177.


66 work entries listed in chronological order for HILL, ARTHUR


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. CORK, CORK, PATRICK STREET, NO. 080 (HARRINGTON)
Date: 1876
Nature: Limestone at ground level; upper storeys brick. Ornamental carving by McLeod, under architect's directions. Pulled down to make way for Pavilion Cinema.
Refs: Drawing exh. RA 1876, no. 997; photographs of street front in Hill collection, Cork Museum (copy photograph by IAA, neg. no. S/2328/1) and in collection of Myrtle Allen, Ballymaloe, Co. Cork (copy photograph by IAA, neg. no. S/2327/13); Architect 15, 16 Sep 1876, 164(illus.)

Building: CO. CORK, FERMOY, ST COLMAN'S COLLEGE
Date: 1888
Nature: Payments to AH for gymnasium, Jul-Oct 1888.
Refs: College account books, Jul-Oct 1888 (information from Rev. James Field, St Colman's College)

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, EMMET PLACE, CRAWFORD SCHOOLS OF SCIENCE & ART
Date: 1888-90
Nature: Addition of W wing, to hold new stair, picture gallery, lecture theatre for 250 people and 5 science classrooms.. Contractor: Samuel Hill. Paid for by William Horatio Crawford.
Refs: Designs exh. Irish Exhibition in London, 1888, nos. 443-447; perspective drawing exh. RHA 1890, no. 507, and repr. in IB 32, 15 May 1890, 118,126; Architect 42, 12 Jul 1889, 23(illus. with ?same perspective view); IB Jubilee Number 1909, 50(illus.)

Building: CO. CORK, GLENGARRIFF, ECCLES HOTEL
Date: 1888p;1895
Nature: Tenders invited for executing alts. & adds. New laundry for hotel (presumably Eccles Hotel), 1895.
Refs: IB 30, 15 Jul 1888, advertisement; Architect 54, 16 Aug 1895, supplement p.10.

Building: CO. CORK, MITCHELSTOWN, MUNSTER & LEINSTER BANK
Date: 1889
Nature: Alts. £522.
Refs: Architect 52, 27 Sep 1889, suppl. p. 6

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, FATHER MATHEW QUAY, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (RC, CAPUCHIN)
Date: 1889
Nature: Competition entrant. His design one of final 3 designs selected, for which her received £50.
Refs: 2 perspective views (1 s. & d.) in collection of Myrtle Allen, Ballymaloe House, Co. Cork (copy photographs by IAA, neg. nos. S/2324/8,10); Architect 42, 19 Jul 1889, 39

Building: CO. CORK, FERMOY, CHRIST CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1890
Nature: Vestry and organ chamber to be built.
Refs: Archtect 44, 28 Nov 1890, suppl. p. 3

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, JOHN REDMOND STREET, NORTH CHARITABLE INFIRMARY
Date: 1891
Nature: Gibbings Memorial Ward. Tender of E. & P. O'Flynn for £12,324 accepted.
Refs: Architect 46, 25 Sep 1891, suppl. p.2, and 23 Oct 1891, suppl. p.3; IB 33, 1 Nov 1891, 249

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SOUTH MALL, NO. 030-31 (TURKISH BATHS)
Date: 1891
Nature: On site of South Mall Hall. For Cork Turkish Baths Co., Ltd. Contractors: E. & P. O'Flynn.
Refs: Architect 47, 20 May 1891, 333; IB 33, 1 Nov 1891, 248;  Roger Herlihy, A Walk through the South Parish (Cork: Red Abbey Publications, 2010), 72-74(illus.).

Building: CO. CORK, BRINNY (UPTON), CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1891-94
Nature: Proposed tower. Tower completed 1894.
Refs: Signed & dated drawing (elevations) in collection of Myrtle Allen, Ballymaloe, Co. Cork (photographed by IAA, neg. no S/2321);  Irish Times, 12 Feb 1894.

Building: CO. CORK, FERMOY, PREMISES (JOHN POUCH[PUNCH?] & CO.)
Date: 1896
Nature: Alts. & imps. Builder: P. Creedon, Fermoy.
Refs: IB 38, 1 Aug 1896, 161

Building: CO. CORK, ROSSCARBERY, CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST FACHTNA (CI)
Date: 1896
Nature: New stalls designed by AH, who also presented ironwork for W door.
Refs: Charles A,. Webster, The Cathedral Church of St Fachtna, Ross (1927), ?

Building: CO. CORK, FOTA HOUSE
Date: 1897
Nature: Alts. & adds., for Hon. A.H. Smith-Barry. Also new gateway.
Refs: Architect 57, 16 Apr 1897, 254(illus.); IB 39, 1 Dec 1897, 228 (gives architect of alts. and adds. as W.H. Hill, but AH seems more likely)

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, PATRICK STREET, NO. 023 (MSSRS. HARVEY)
Date: 1898
Nature: Alts. for Mssrs. Harvey. £479. Builder: A. Gaul.
Refs: IB 40, 1 Sep 1898, 135

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, DOUGLAS ROAD, HOUSE (?ILFRACOMBE)
Date: 1898
Nature: For J. Wolfe.
Refs: IB 40, 1 Feb 1898, 20

Building: CO. CORK, YOUGHAL, STRAND, SEWERAGE SCHEME
Date: 1899
Nature: Contractor: Michael Connors, Youghal. £16,000.
Refs: IB 41, 1 Nov 1899, 172

Building: CO. CORK, CROSSHAVEN, HOUSE
Date: 1899-1900
Nature: For Mrs Barter. Tender of T.B. Buckley, Crosshaven, of £694.11s.8d, accepted..
Refs: Drawing (elevations & plans) signed and dated 20 Dec 1899 in collection of Myrtle Allen, Ballymaloe House, Co. Cork (photograph in IAA, neg. no. S/2325/4); B 78, 30 Jun 1900, 654; 79, 8 Sep 1900, 220; Architect 64, 6 Jul 1900, supplement p.15; IB 42, 15 Aug 1900, 458

Building: CO. CORK, GLENGARRIFF, ECCLES HOTEL
Date: 1901
Nature: Addition to be started soon.
Refs: IB 43, 29 Aug 1901, 845

Building: CO. CORK, BUTTEVANT, MUNSTER & LEINSTER BANK
Date: 1901
Nature: New.
Refs: IB 43, 16 Jun 1901, 599

Building: CO. CORK, DUNMANWAY, MUNSTER & LEINSTER BANK
Date: 1901
Nature: New branch bank. Tenders invited Feb 1901. Contractor: Samuel Hill, Cork. £1,800.
Refs: B 80, 2 Feb 1901, 124; IB 43, 30 Jan,13 Feb,6 Jun 1901, 622,637,753

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SHANAKIEL ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY SHANDON (CI)
Date: 1902
Nature: Further adds.
Refs: IB 43, 13 Feb 1902, 1042

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, FITZGERALD PARK, INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITION (1902)
Date: 1902
Nature: Hall for Fine Arts & Archaeological Section, Canadian pavilion (Builder: Anthony Gaul, Cork), President's Pavilion and central bandstand des. by AHH.
Refs: IB 42, 7 Nov 1901, 926; 43, 13 Mar,10 Apr 1902, 1069,1106; 45, 3 Dec 1903, 3015(illus.); AJ 16, ? ? 1902, 415

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, LEITRIM STREET, EUSTACE & CO.
Date: 1902
Nature: Rebuilding of sawmills destroyed by fire. Contractor: E. & P. O'Flynn, Cork.
Refs: B 82, 11 Jan 1902, 52; IB 43, 16 Jan,13 Feb 1902, 1014,1040

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, ACADEMY STREET, BAKER & WRIGHT LTD
Date: 1902
Nature: Rebuilding. Contractor: J. Delany & Co., Cork (£1,900).
Refs: IB 43, 9,23 Oct 1902, 1436,1452; B 83, 18 Oct 1902, 355

Building: CO. CORK, MALLOW, MAIN STREET, NO. 067
Date: 1902
Nature: Rebuilding.
Refs: IB 44, 31 Jul,14,28 Aug,11 Sep 1902, 1346,1370,1382,1402

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, PATRICK STREET, NO. 065-66 (WOODFORD, BOURNE & CO.)
Date: 1903-1907
Nature: Work on premises (i.e. new premises?)
Refs: Summaries of monies owed by Woodford, Bourne & Co. Limited, Cork, to Samuel Hill and Arthur Hill for work done on company premises in UCC, Boole Library, BL/BC/WB 99 (see Boole Library Archives Service, http://booleweb.ucc.ie/documents/WB%20Full%20List.pdf (last visted Oct 2009). 

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, DOUGLAS ROAD, REDGARTH
Date: 1903a
Nature: house 'lately built for himself'.
Refs: IB 45, 22 Oct 1903, 2044(illus. in supplement))

Building: CO. CORK, BUTTEVANT, HOUSE & SHOP
Date: 1904
Nature: For J. O'Donnell.
Refs: IB 46, 4 Jun 1904, 350

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, JOHN REDMOND STREET, NORTH CHARITABLE INFIRMARY
Date: 1904-05
Nature: New operating theatre. Completed summer of 1905. Contractors: E. & P. O'Flynn.
Refs: IB 46, 16,30 Jul 1904, 458,496; 47, 29 Jul 1905, 513.

Building: CO. CORK, DOUGLAS, HOUSE
Date: 1905
Nature: -
Refs: IB 47, 22 Apr 1905, 278

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, HANOVER STREET, STORE
Date: 1906
Nature: For Mr M. O'Donoghue.
Refs: IB 48, 15 Dec 1906, 1008

Building: CO. CORK, SKIBBEREEN, TOWNSHEND STREET, HOUSE
Date: 1906
Nature: House, with stables & offices.
Refs: IB 48, 14 Jul 1906, 566

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, WASHINGTON STREET, PREMISES
Date: 1906
Nature: For M. O'Donoghue.
Refs: IB 48, 13 Jan 1906, 30

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, BARRYMORE ESTATE, HOUSES (002)
Date: 1907
Nature: Tenders sought.
Refs: B 92, 11 May 1907, 583; IB 49, 18 May 1907, 358

Building: CO. CORK, YOUGHAL, STORES
Date: 1907
Nature: Stores & other work, for T. W. Paisley (?Pasley).
Refs: IB 49, 9 Mar 1907, 178

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, EMMET PLACE, OPERA HOUSE
Date: 1908
Nature: Alts. & imps., redecoration. Builder: William O'Connell, Cork.
Refs: IB 50, 14,28 Nov 1908, 705,721; 51, 9 Jan 1909, 5

Building: CO. CORK, FERMOY, QUEEN'S SQUARE, BUSINESS PREMISES (003)
Date: 1908-1916
Nature: Reconstruction of 3 business premises destroyed by fire. Builder (of 2): Mahony, Fermoy. Builder (of 1): Creedon, Fermoy.
Refs: Elevation of 2 of the houses in collection of Myrtle Allen, Ballymaloe House, Co. Cork (photographed by IAA, neg. no. S/2325/1); IB 50, 8,22 Aug 1908, 493,510; 58, 14 Oct 1916, 498(illus.)

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, ROLLER-SKATING RINK
Date: 1909
Nature: New, near GS Railway Terminus. Builder: John Delany & Co., Cork.
Refs: IB 51, 11 Dec 1909, 790

Building: CO. CORK, DRIPSEY, WOOLLEN MILLS
Date: 1909
Nature: For A. O'Shaughnessy.
Refs: IB 51, 2 Oct 1909, 630

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SHARMAN CRAWFORD STREET, CRAWFORD MUNICIPAL TECHNICAL INSTITUTE
Date: 1909-10
Nature: New schools on site of Sir John Arnott's old brewery. Building started Nov 1909. Contractor: Samuel Hill, Cork (£14,074).
Refs: Design exh. RA 1910, no. 1411, and RHA 1911, no. 351; sketch views looking along street to site by AH, 1909, showing appearance before and after constrution of new building in Hill Collection, Cork Museum, ref. G301 (photocopy in IAA, RP.B.19.2); also photograph of completed building (photographed by IAA, neg. no. S/2330/8); IAA, PKS 0008, 0892, B21/74, A09 (Dec 1911); IB 50, 26 Dec 1908, 805; 51, 6 Feb,24 Jul,4,18 Sep,16,30 Oct,13,27 Nov 1909, 65,81,453,549,598,662,677,726,744,756(illus.); 52, 8 Jan,9 Jul,10 Dec 1910, 21,429,763; 53, 18 Feb,27 May,8 Jul 1911, 111,361,461; 54, 17 Aug 1912,470,478(illus.); B 97, 27 Nov 1909, 596; 102, 19 Apr 1912, 443(illus.); Building News 97, 3 Dec 1909, 851; IA & C 1, 8 Apr 1911, 144

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, COLLEGE ROAD, UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
Date: 1909-1911
Nature: New science buildings (chemistry & physics labs.) and? block of classrooms. Contractor: W. O'Connell & Co. Ltd. £12,000.
Refs: IB 51, 24 Jul,27 Nov 1909, 453,756; 52, 2 Apr,14 May,10 Dec 1910, 217,301,763; 53, 30 Sep 1911, 661; ?IA & C 1, 4 Feb 1911, 28

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, MILITARY ROAD, TECHNICAL INSTITUTE
Date: 1909-1912
Nature: 7-bay, 3-storey, with attic, Queen Anne style.
Refs: Unsigned, undated elevations and plans in collection of Myrtle Allen, Ballymaloe, Co. Cork (photographed by IAA, neg. no. S/2326/17, S/23271,3,5); IAA, PKS 0008, 0892, B21/74

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SOUTH MALL, NO. 063-66 (MUNSTER & LEINSTER BANK)
Date: 1909-1913
Nature: Arthur Hill wins competition for new head office Assessor: G.C. Ashlin).  Project carried out with H.H. Hill. Tenders invited, Oct 1910. Contractor: John Sisk (£24,739). First half finished, for £35,000, 1913.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1912, no. 414; IB 51, 11 Dec 1909, 769; 52, 5 Feb,14 May,1,15 Oct,26 Nov 1910, 85,301,615,644,732; 53, 1 Apr,5 Aug 1911, 202(illus),206,218,526; 54, 6 Jan 1912, 14(illus.),18; 55, 21 Jun 1913, 415; 57, 19 Jun 1915, 280(illus.), 63, 5 Nov 1921, 729;   B 99, 15 Oct 1910, 449; 100, 12 May 1911, 581(illus.); 113, 5 Jan 1917, 11,22(illus.);  Building News 97, 17 Dec 1909, 899; 107, 11 Sep 1914, 332;  Freeman's Journal, 7,8,10 Oct 1910;   Architectural Review 41 (1917), 81; AJ 53, 2,9,16,30 Mar 1921, 247-249(illus.),298,326(illus.),386,391(illus.); IA & C 1, 28 Jan 1911, 12;  Building a Business: 150 Years of the Sisk Group, ed. by Madeleine Lyons (Dublin:  Associated Editions, 2009), 17(illus.),34(illus.),35,50-51(illus.),52-55(illus.).

Building: CO. CORK, MACROOM, PREMISES
Date: 1910
Nature: Rebuilding, for Dr. Kelleher.
Refs: IB 52, 23 Jul 1910, 473

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, MACCURTAIN STREET, HOTEL METROPOLE
Date: 1910-11
Nature: Rebuilding after damage by fire & large extension. Builder: John Delany & Co., Henry St, Cork.
Refs: IB 52, 11 Jun 1910, 365; 53, 27 May 1911, 369; IA & C 1, 11 Feb 1911, 42

Building: CO. LIMERICK, MOUNT COOTE (KILMALLOCK)
Date: 1911
Nature: Adds, for Sir Gilbert Greenall. Contractor:. Otway & Hill. (House demolished c. 1960)
Refs: IAA, PKS 0928 and B21/63 (includes skech plan of cellar and kitchen)

Building: CO. CORK, FOTA HOUSE
Date: 1911
Nature: Renovation of garden pavilion built by AH some years ago. Alts. to include copper dome. With H.H. Hill, for Lord Barrymore. Builder: D. Hegarty, Merchants St, Cork.
Refs: IB 53, 8 Jul 1911, 470

Building: CO. CORK, MACROOM, HOUSE
Date: 1911
Nature: Adds. & alts.
Refs: IA & C 1, 8 Apr 1911, 145

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, CASTLE STREET, SHOP & DWELLINGS
Date: 1911
Nature: -
Refs: IA & C 1, 24 Feb 1911, 71

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, PATRICK STREET, NO. 95 (CORK EXAMINER)
Date: 1911
Nature: New buildings. With H.H. Hill. Builder: D. Hegarty, Merchants St, Cork.
Refs: IB 53, 8 Jul 1911, 461; JCHAS (1921), 40

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, MACCURTAIN STREET, NO. 051-52 (T. CADE & SON)
Date: 1911
Nature: Alts. to mineral water manufactory. With H.H. Hill. Builder: D. Hegarty, Cork.
Refs: IB 53, 14 Oct 1911, 693

Building: CO. CORK, CLOYNE, CATHEDRAL OF ST COLMAN (CI)
Date: 1911
Nature: Improvements, including new rafters, resting on stone corbels. Builder: W. O'Connell & Co., Cork. Cost defrayed by an anonymous donor in India.
Refs: IB 53, 14 Oct 1911, 693

Building: CO. CORK, DOUGLAS, GOLF CLUB
Date: 1911
Nature: Pavilion. Builder: R. Duggan.
Refs: Drawing (elevation & plan) and 2 photographs of exterior in collection of Myrtle Allen, Ballymaloe House, Co. Cork (photographed by IAA, neg. nos. S/2324/16,S/2325/15,S/2326/1); IB 53, 30 Sep 1911, 646,656(illus.)

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, MACCURTAIN STREET, COLISEUM PICTURE THEATRE
Date: 1912-13
Nature: By A. & H.H. (or W.H. Hill) with Mr Houston, architect to Southern Coliseums Ltd., of Belfast and Mr Delaney, City Engineer. Builder: O'Connell & Co., Hanover St.  Decorator: O'Connell & Co. Great George's St. (Cork Examiner states that architect was William Henry Hill.)
Refs: 'Design for a cinematograph hall' exh. RHA 1913, no. 521; IB 54, 14 Sep 1912, 535; 55, 15 Mar,13 Sep 1913, 175,586; B 103, 6 Sep 1912, 291; 104, 31 Jan 1913, 162; 

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, LEITRIM STREET, EUSTACE & CO.
Date: 1913
Nature: Addition to premises. Builder: Murphy Bros., Pope's Quay.
Refs: IB 55, 10 May 1913, 319

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SOUTH TERRACE, SYNAGOGUE
Date: 1913-15
Nature: New synagogue. FS laid on 2 Feb 1913 by Mr D.J. Cohen, vice-president and treasurer of the Hebrew Congregation in Dublin.  'The new synagogue when finished will be the third in Ireland.'  Contractor:: Wm. L. Kelleher, Drinan St, Cork. Opened, 26 Mar 1915.
Refs: IB 55, 15 Feb 1913, 115; Sharman Kadish, Jewish Heritage in England (English Heritage, 2006), 207;  Roger Herlihy, A Walk through the South Parish (Cork: Red Abbey Publications, 2010), 40-41(illus.; also colour plate between pp. 53 & 54).


Building: CO. CORK, CORK, JOHN REDMOND STREET, NORTH CHARITABLE INFIRMARY
Date: 1914
Nature: Residential quarters for resident medical staff, casualty ward, pathological laboratory, external & internal painting, radiographic dept.(latter with H.H. Hill)
Refs: IB 56, 20 Jun,1 Aug,19 Dec 1914 391,471, 689

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, LEITRIM STREET, EUSTACE & CO.
Date: 1915
Nature: Extension of offices. By A. & H.H. Hill. Tenders sought.
Refs: B 109, 24 Sep 1915, 236; IB 57, 25 Sep 1915, 426

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, WILLIAM STREET, T.R. LESTER LTD.
Date: 1916
Nature: Rebuilding of stores of T.R. Lester Ltd., lately destroyed by fire. Contractor: C. Greeve.
Refs: IB 58, 27 May 1916, 235

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, LECADUR?
Date: 1917a
Nature: House on outskirts of town.
Refs: B 113, 2 Nov 1917, 257-8(illus.); obituary of AH by Henry Houghton Hill in RIBAJ 28, 19 Mar 1921, 300

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, PATRICK STREET, NO. 016
Date: ?
Nature: Destroyed in disturbances of 1921.
Refs: Obituary of AH by Henry Houghton Hill in RIBAJ 28, 19 Mar 1921, 301

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, PATRICK STREET, NO. 013
Date: ?
Nature: Destroyed in disturbances of 1920.
Refs: Obituary of AH by Henry Houghton Hill in RIBAJ 28, 19 Mar 1921, 301

Building: CO. CORK, CASTLETOWNSEND, THE RED HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: (House belogned to Col. E.K.G. and G.P.V. Aylmer in 1916).
Refs: Obituary of AH by Henry Houghton Hill in RIBAJ 28, 19 Mar 1921, 300

Building: CO. CORK, CROSSHAVEN, COTTAGE
Date: ?
Nature: Gabled, 2-storey cottage.
Refs: Drawing (elevations & section) in collection of Myrtle Allen, Ballymaloe House, Co. Cork (photographed by IAA, neg. no. S/2324/13)

Building: CO. CORK, DOUGLAS, TRAMORE
Date: ?
Nature: Designed by AH.
Refs: Photograph of ?library in collection of Myrtle Allen, Ballymaloe House, Co. Cork (copy photograph by IAA, neg. no. S/2325/13)

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, MACCURTAIN STREET, NO. 047 (VICTORIA BUILDINGS)
Date: ?
Nature: -
Refs: JCHAS (1909), 115; IB Jubilee No, 1909, 55(illus.).

Author Title Date Details
Hill, Arthur 'Kilmakedar, Co. Kerry' 1869 JRSAI 10 (1868-69), 560. (Published as book, Cork, 1870.)
Hill, Arthur Templenahoe, Ardfert (Ancient Irish Architecture: Illustrations of Celtic Churches, No. 2) 1870 Cork, 1870. (See IB 13, 1 Jan 1871, 12. Copy in IAA.)
Hill, Arthur Kilmalkedar, near Dingle (Ancient Irish Architecture: Illustrations of Celtic Churches, No. 1) 1870 [Cork], 1870. (See IB 13, 1 Jan 1871, 12.)
Hill, Arthur Ardfert Cathedral in ye county of Kerry (Ancient Irish Architecture) 1870 Cork, 1870; London: Kell Bros, 1870. (See IB 12, 1 Sep,15 Oct 1870, 211,251.)
Hill, Arthur 'On some ancient Irish churches' 1870 RIBAJ 1869-70, 151-159. ((Lecture given to RIBA, 2 May 1870.)
Hill, Arthur 'On College Education' 1874 Architect 11, 20 June 1874, supplement p. 6, RIBAJ (1874), ?. (Text, summary or mention of paper read at conference of architects in London in June 1874.)
Hill, Arthur Monograph of Cormac's Chapel, Cashel 1874 Cork, 1874. (See IB 15, 1 Nov 1873, 296; 16, 15 Jul 1874, 205.)
Hill, Arthur 'Cormac's Chapel, Cashel' 1876 IB 18, 15 Sep 1876, 268,278. (Letter to editor, with plan and section.)
Hill, Arthur 'The cathedral and other churches at Ardfert' 1884 JRSAI 16 (1883-84), 291.
Hill, Arthur 'Report on the state of Kilmallock Abbey' 1889 JRSAI 19 (1889), 169.
Hill, Arthur 'Ball Room Floor' 1894 B 67, ? ? 1894, 438. (Letter to editor.)
Hill, Arthur 'The Institute of Architects and the propsects of Architecture' 1903 IB 44, 29 Jan 1903, 1682.
Hill, Arthur 'On public appreciation of architecture' 1906 RIBAJ 13 (1906), Summary of Proceedings of Congress, xxxiv
Hill, Arthur 'St Patrick's Church, Glanmire Road' 1908 JCHAS 14 (Jan-Mar 1908), 65-66.
Hill, Arthur 'Highways and byeways in the history of Architecture' 1908 IB 50, 21 Mar 1908, 166-173. (Lecture delivered to AAI, 21 Jan 1908.)
Hill, Arthur 'Architecture in Cork, 1859-1909' 1909 IB Jubilee Number (1909), 49-55; JCHAS 15 (1909), 115-118.
Hill, Arthur 'Pictorial Art and Architecture' 1915 IB 57, 30 Jan 1915, 49. (Summary of paper read to AAI on 12 Jan 1915, see also editorial comment on p. 52 of same issue.)
Hill, Arthur 'Notes on Salonica' 1916 IB 58, 25 Mar 1916, 146.
Hill, Arthur 'Commercialism and Art' 1917 Letter published in IB 59, 12 May 1917, 226 (Letter to editor; editorial comment on p. 222.)
Hill, Arthur (?) A visit to the domed churches of Charente by the A- A-. Published as a memorial to E.S[harpe]. 1882 London: Architectural Association [1882]. (According to Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects G-K (RIBA, 1973), 106, Arthur Hill and Edmund Sharpe were the authors of this anon. work.)