Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stained glass manufacturers, of London. The firm of Heaton, Butler & Bayne was established in 1862, when Clement Heaton (1824-1882) and James Butler (1830-1913) took Robert Turnill Bayne (1837-1915) into partnership. Bayne became chief designer to the company. In 1882 Heaton's son CLEMENT J. HEATON  CLEMENT J. HEATON became a partner. The firm closed in 1953.

See WORKS, for Irish work only.



References

All information in this entry is from GroveArt, the website of the Grove Dictionary of Art on www.artnet.com.


38 work entries listed in chronological order for HEATON, BUTLER & BAYNE *#


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET, ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1872;1889;1890;1895;1915
Nature: Stained glass windows: Raising of Lazarus (in N aisle of choir, 1915; St Patrick (on W wall of S transept, 1890; Stoning of St Stephen, in N aisle of nave, 1872); Christ in Glory and Holy Women at the Tomb (in N aisle of nave, 1895).; Dorcas (in S wall of retrochoir, 1889).
Refs: For images, see Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3053/ (last visited, Jan 2013);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 619-20.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, ROSSMORE PARK, MAUSOLEUM
Date: 1874
Nature: Armorial stained glass window . (Destroyed)
Refs: Building News 30, 7 Apr 1876, 342 (illus.). (Reference and other information from Rossmore Mausoleum Conservation Group.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 484.

Building: CO. TYRONE, DUNGANNON, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST ANNE (CI, DRUMGLASS PARISH)
Date: 1874
Nature: Stained glass widow in memory of Dr William Dawson and Mrs Elizabeth Dawson.  By H, B & B 'from instructions by Thomas Drew, MRIA'. Grisaille work with family crest of a 6-pointed star in apex.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 16, no. 184, 23 Sep 1874, 163.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, PROBY SQUARE, ALL SAINTS CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1876
Nature: 3-light E window by Heaton & Butler installed.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 18, no. 208, 23 Aug 1876, 252;  illus. in Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2962/ (last visited, Nov 2015).

Building: CO. DOWN, CULTRA, BALLYCULTRA (LATER CULLODEN, LATER BISHOP'S PALACE)
Date: 1877
Nature: 'The lofty traceried windows lighting staircase are filled with painted glass by Mssr. Heaton, Butler & Bayne.' (Other windows by Ballantine, Edinburgh.)
Refs: Architect 18, 8 Dec 1877, 312;  Paul Harron, Architects of Ulster: Young & Mackenzie, a transformational provincial practice 1850-1960 (Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 2016), 25(illus.).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LEESON PARK, CHRIST CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1877
Nature: New stained glass window erected.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 217, 1 May 1877, 151 (this is probably the W window, see Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2978/ , last visited Oct 2015.)

Building: CO. MEATH, KELLS, CHURCH OF ST COLMCILLE (CI)
Date: 1878
Nature: Stained glass window erected as memorial to late Marquess of Headfort. Designed by J.F. Fuller.
Refs: IB 20, 1 Nov 1878, 310

Building: CO. CARLOW, AGHADE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1878;1894;1895;1903
Nature: 3 stained glass windows in new chancel, 1878 (St Philip, Virgin, Child and St John, Supper at Emmaus); 2 windows in S wall of nave (Dorcas's Good Works, 1894; Good Samaritan, 1903) and 1 in N wall of nave (Christ disputing with the Doctors, 1895).
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 20, no. 232, 1 Jul 1878, 199, which suggests wrongly that all 3 chancel windows were in memory of Sir R.P. Butler), but see Gloine http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2991/ (last visited Dec 2015).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LEESON PARK, CHRIST CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1880
Nature: Stained glass with figures of the 4 Evangelists in 4 transept windows. Executed under supervision of Rawson Carroll.
Refs: Architect 24, 9 Oct 1880, 229

Building: CO. WEXFORD, COURTOWN, CHURCH (CI, KILTENNEL PARISH)
Date: 1880ca;1893;1895;1914
Nature: E window (St John; Resurrection; St Mary Magdalene); 4 windows in S and W walls of south aisle (Nativity; Feeding the Hungry and visiting the Sick; Christ as Good Shepherd and Christ as Light of the World; St Patrick and St Aidan).
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2902/ (last visited, Dec 2016).

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BALLYMENA, CASTLE STREET, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI, KIRKINRIOLA OR KILCONRIOLA PARISH)
Date: 1881
Nature: Stained glass windows in restored church (but cf. Gloine, which has only one window by H, B & B dating from 1895).
Refs: rish Ecclesiastical Gazette  23, no. 64, 19 Mar 1881, 196;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3447/ (last visited, Sep 2016).

Building: CO. CORK, BALLYCOTTON, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1881
Nature: Stained glass window (Christ addressing Martha and Mary; Christ addressing little children) by Heaton,
Butler & Bayne 'just erected' in memory of late Miss Hodges.

Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 23, no.67, 9 Apr 1881, 251.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ANTRIM ROAD, ST JAMES'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1881
Nature: Painting of chancel.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 23, no. 100, 26 Nov 1881, 832.

Building: CO. KERRY, WATERVILLE, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL & ALL ANGELS (CI, DROMOD & PRIOR PARISHES)
Date: 1882
Nature: 2-light W window erected in memory of John Edward Butler of Waterville and Youghal.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 23, no. 4, 28 Jan 1882, 60.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, LARNE, CHURCH OF ST CEDMA (CI, INVER PARISH)
Date: 1883
Nature: New stained glass window (Feed my Sheep) adjoining pulpit (Feed my Sheep).  Erected by Lowry & Co.,Belfast.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 25, no. 168, 24 Mar 1883 242.

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SHANAKIEL ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY SHANDON (CI)
Date: 1883
Nature: E window filled with stained glass in memory of Mr Wise. (Iconography described.) Designs from Mr H.W. Lonsdale and glass supplied by Heaton, Butler & Bayne
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 25, no. 173, 28 Apr 1883, 356


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ANTRIM ROAD (& FORTWILLIAM PARK), FORTWILLIAM PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1883-1885
Nature: Circular window by H, B & B.
Refs: IB 27, 1 May 1885, 128-9

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNT STREET CRESCENT, ST STEPHEN'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1886;1891
Nature: Stained glass windows: Raising of Lazarus (N wall, 1886),angels, 1891.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 559.

Building: CO. OFFALY, BIRR, CHURCH OF ST BRENDAN (CI)
Date: 1893
Nature: Triple-lancet window (Ascension) in upper south wall of nave.
Refs: David Lawrence, 'Church of Ireland: The United Diocese of Limerick and Killaloe: Stained-Glass Windows' (RCB report, 2006), I, 20 (see alsoIB 35, 1 Oct 1893, 228)

Building: CO. CAVAN, STRADONE, CHURCH (CI, LARAGH PARISH)
Date: 1893p
Nature: Triple light E window (Angel of Life, Christ as Good Shepherd, Angel of Death) in memory of Robert James Burrowes (d. 1893) of Stradone House.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3061/ (last visited, Mar 2014).

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1896p;1903ca
Nature: Window in N wall of chancel (Jehoiada, St Paul), in memory of Archbishop Robert Gregg (d.1896).  E. window (Ascension) in memory of Archbishops John George and Marcus Gervaise Beresford and of Alexander James Beresford-Hope, 1903.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3407/ (last visited, Mar 2014).

Building: CO. WICKLOW, DUNLAVIN, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (CI)
Date: 1899
Nature: 3 stained-glass windows in new chancel (Christ disputing with the doctors; Christ with Mary and Martha; angel and women at the tomb) erected by Col. Fortescue Tynte in memory of his wife.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 25 Nov 1899;  Rev. Samuel McGee, Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow:  a retrospect (1935), 8?;  illus. in Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2954/ (last visited Nov 2009).

Building: CO. WICKLOW, AVOCA, CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY (CI, CASTLEMACADAM PARISH)
Date: 1900
Nature: Two stained glass windows (The Resurrection) in memory of John Hunter.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 27 Jan 1900

Building: CO. ARMAGH, MULLAVILLY (TANDRAGEE), CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1900p
Nature: Double lancet window in N transept (Ascension) in memory of Elizabeth Bridget Sinton (d.1900).
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/building/building.3437 (last visited, Mar 2014).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAWSON STREET, ST ANN'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1901;1915
Nature: Stained glass windows: Ascension (in apse, 1901); La Touche memorial (in N aisle, after 1914); Christ among the Doctors (in N aisle, 1915).
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 470.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILFANE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1903
Nature: E window (Christ blessing Children) and single light window in SE wall of apse (Angel bearing woman)
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3014/ (last visited, Dec 2016).

Building: CO. ARMAGH, DRUMBANAGHER, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1903p;1905p
Nature: E window (Ascension) in memory of Maxwell Charles Close (d. 1903). Window in N wall of nave (Charity) in memory of Mary Clements (d. 1905) .
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3415/ (last visited, Mar 2014)


Building: CO. ARMAGH, TANDRAGEE, CHURCH OF ST MARK (CI, BALLYMORE PARISH)
Date: 1908p
Nature: 1 triple lancet windows  (Christ's charge to Peter, Christ as Good Shepherd) and 1 double lancet (Ascension) both in memory of Rev. William McEndoo (d.1908). 
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3409/ (last visited, Mar 2014).

Building: CO. CAVAN, KILMORE, BISHOP'S PALACE
Date: 1910ca
Nature: Stained glass window in chapel .
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 396.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1917ca
Nature: Stained glass window in N transept.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 427.

Building: CO. DOWN, WARINGSTOWN, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI, DONAGHCLONEY PARISH)
Date: 1918ca
Nature: E window in memory of Maj Holt Waring, killed in France during World War I.
Refs: Clergy of Down & Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 179

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD, MASONIC GIRLS' SCHOOL
Date: 1918p
Nature: First World War memorial window, depicting Henry V, flanked by Faith and Charity. (Later moved to stair hall of Freemasons' Hall, Molesworth Street.)
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 490.

Building: CO. CAVAN, TEMPLEPORT, CHURCH OF ST PETER (CI)
Date: 1923;1929p
Nature: Stained glass E window (Angel and Women at the Tomb, Ascension) in memory of Mary Elizabeth Johnstone (d. 1929), wife of Robert Henry Johnstone of Bawnboy House, and window in N wall of nave (Risen Christ appears to Mary Magdalene, Ascension) 1923.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3081/ (last visited, Mar 2014).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BRIGHTON ROAD (RATHGAR), METHODIST CHURCH
Date: 1924ca
Nature: War Memorial window (3 scenes of Resurrection).
Refs: D.M. Weir, Rathgar Methodist Church (1974), 33-38

Building: CO. DOWN, DRUMBEG, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: 3 windows in apse : Sacrifice of Isaac and brazen serpent (NE); Passover and institution of the Lord's Supper (E); and Agony and Journey to Emmaus (SE).
Refs: B 29, 28 Jan 1871, 72; Clergy of Down & Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 106

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLYDE ROAD, CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Stained glass windows.
Refs: E. MacDowell Cosgrave & Leonard R. Strangways, Visitors’ Guide to Dublin and Neighbourhoods (Dublin & London, [1907]), 24.

Building: CO. KILDARE, COOLCARRIGAN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Memorial windows to Robert and Thomas Wilson attr. to HBB by Larmour.
Refs: Information from leaflet on church, which quotes letter from Larmour, dated 7 Sep 1981

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, MALL (& RUSSELL STREET), PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (1ST, NEW)
Date: ?
Nature: Stained glass window in E gallery.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 117.