Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Henry Buck was district engineer to the Commissioners for the Improvement of the Navigation of the River Shannon from 1841(1) or earlier until 1846 or later.(2) He was living in Co. Limerick in the summer of 1840 when his maid appeared at the Limerick quarter sessions and was sentenced to seven years' transportation for having stolen various objects from his house.(3) He is neverthelesss listed in the New Triennial Directory for the years 1840, 1841 & 1842 at an address in Victoria Terrace, Dublin.(4) He is probably the same person as the Henry Buck, civil engineer, who was living at 3 Haddington Road, Dublin, from 1853 or earlier, at 9 Haddington Road in 1863 and at 36 Haddington Road from 1869 or earlier until 1875 or later.(5)



References



(1) Civil Engineer & Architect's Journal 4 (Oct 1841), 366.
(2) Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1846.
(3) Connaught Journal, 9 Jul 1840.
(4) Information extracted from Limerick City directories by Michael Maguire, Limerick City Library.
(5) From Thom's Directory and Post Office Dublin Directory.