Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Building contractors, of Dublin. The three independent contractors DAVID HENRY DAVID HENRY , BERNARD MULLINS  BERNARD MULLINS and JOHN MCMAHON  JOHN MCMAHON came together circa 1808 to tender for the restoration and extension of the County of Kildare Canal for the Grand Canal Company. As a result of their being awarded the contract for the work, the firm of Henry, Mullins & McMahon came into being.(1) Mullins's son, MICHAEL BERNARD MULLINS MICHAEL BERNARD MULLINS , attributed the initiative to his father: 'Mr Mullins, who was an Assistant Engineer to Mr Evans in the execution of the Royal Canal, having found the field preoccupied, almost to the exclusion of Irishmen, looked out for a combination to enable him to embark extensively in the execution of public works, and in the early part of the present century commenced with his partners, Messrs. Henry and McMahon, a career which, associated with engineering,will lose nothing by comparison with the most successful period of the profession in this or possibly in any other country.'(2) The partners became the leading building contractors in Ireland in the first three decades of the nineteenth century, involved largely in government work and canal construction. The firm appears to have established a branch in Cork, 'Henry & Mullins' being listed in Connor's Cork Directory for 1828.(3) Although the partnership was formally dissolved in January 1827 and although David Henry died in 1836,(4) the business appears to have continued to be known by the name Henry, Mullins & McMahon for some time longer; it appears in Wilson's Dublin Directory until 1837, in the Post Office Dublin Directory until 1839, and in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac in 1841 with addresses at Talbot Street, 1824-31,(5) 6 Mabbot Street, 1832-34, 8/9 Mabbot Street,1836-7, and 9 Mabbot Street, 1839-41. According to later directories, Bernard Mullins had an office at 9 Mabbot Steet until his death in 1851.  'Mullen & McMahon' of Stephen's Green appear on a list of Dublin master carpenters and builders compiled in March 1834.(6)

In 1871 MICHAEL BERNARD MULLINS MICHAEL BERNARD MULLINS , the only surviving son of Bernard Mullins, bequeathed the contents of the office - drawings, books, models and drawing instruments - to the Institution of Civil Engineers. When the Institution moved from Dawson Steet in the early 1960s the loose architectural drawings from the collection were misappropriated and subsequently sold at auction by Mssrs. Allen & Townsend on 8 July (& 15/16 December?) 1965; these are now dispersed in various places, including the National Library of Ireland, the Irish Architectural Archive, Castletown House and Tullynally, Co. Westmeath.(7) The Institution retained a large bound album of drawings from the office, which is now deposited in the Irish Architectural Archive (Acc. 2005/95, IEI 5190). The identifiable buildings represented in it date from the first fifteen years of the nineteenth century and would seem in some instances to pre-date the formation of the partnership.

See WORKS; see also DAVID HENRY DAVID HENRY , JOHN MCMAHON  JOHN MCMAHON and BERNARD MULLINS. BERNARD MULLINS.



References



(1) Ruth Delany, Ireland's Inland Waterways (1988), 83-84.
(2) TICEI 6 (1859-1861), 66.
(3) 'Henry & Mullen' are listed as Cork architects in the Cork Constitution, 9 Jun 1831 (information from Kenneth Severens) (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(4) Peter Clarke, The Royal Canal (1992), 72, citing Dublin Gazette, 16 June 1827.
(5) But there is a letter from D.J. Henry among the Henry, Mullins & McMahon papers bought by Thomas Pakenham, which is dated 6 Oct 1835 but addressed to Mssrs. Henry, Mullins & MacMahon, Talbot Steet, Dublin.
(6) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(7) For a summary list of these drawings see photocopy in IAA, ref. RW.B.215; many of them are stamped on the back 'The Bequest of M.B. Mullins' and nearly all of them have had holes punched down one side.


33 work entries listed in chronological order for HENRY, MULLINS & MCMAHON *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BROADSTONE, FOSTER AQUEDUCT
Date: 1800ca
Nature: Built by David Henry? Architect: Millar & Roddery (or Ruddery).
Refs: Elevation in Henry, Mullins & McMahon album, Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland, IEI 5190 (on loan to IAA); see F.O'Dwyer, Lost Dublin (1981), 89.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CORK STREET, FEVER HOSPITAL & HOUSE OF RECOVERY
Date: 1801-1804
Nature: Opened 1804. ?Built by Henry, Mullins & McMahon.
Refs: Elevations, plans in Henry, Mullins & McMahon album, Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland; for description see Warburton, Whitelaw & Walsh, History of the City of Dublin (1818) II, 707-716

Building: CO. LONGFORD, LONGFORD, HOSPITAL
Date: 1810ca
Nature: ?Built by Henry, Mullins & McMahon.
Refs: Designs for 'Proposed hospital for Co. Longford' in Henry, Mullins & McMahon album, Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland (photograph in IAA). (James Hall, Tour through Ireland (1813) describes the hospital as 'a new, neat building'.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SWORDS, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (CI)
Date: 1811-12
Nature: ?Built by Henry, Mullins & McMahon.
Refs: Plan & side elevation in Henry, Mullins & McMahon album, Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland

Building: CO. DERRY, MAGILLIGAN POINT, MARTELLO TOWER
Date: 1812-17
Nature: Tower at Lower Doaghs. Architects: 'Henry & Mullins, Dublin'.
Refs: Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, eds.Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 11, 124 (Original MS in RIA, Box 45)

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, BISHOP STREET, COUNTY COURT HOUSE
Date: 1813-1817
Nature: Built by Henry, Mullins & McMahon to designs of John Bowden.
Refs: Contract in PRONI, L/A 5; NA/SPO CSORP 1825/12,887 (application by DH to succeed Johnston as architect to Board of Works) (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); Robert Simpson, Annals of Derry (1847), 243-4; C. Brett, Courthouses & Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 88.

Building: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, MALL, COUNTY INFIRMARY
Date: 1813a
Nature: ?Built by Henry, Mullins & McMahon.
Refs: Elevation & plans in Henry, Mullins & McMahon album, Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland; also in IAA, Neptune Gallery drawings, 80/10.2/1-4 (Medal showing view of building was struck by W.S. Mossop in 1813.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INCHICORE ROAD, KILMAINHAM COURT HOUSE
Date: 1817
Nature: Unexecuted designs for same. (Competition entry?)
Refs: Set of 2 elevations & 2 plans, ground floor plan signed & dated 5 Oct 1817, in IAA, Guinness Collection, Acc. 96/68.5/1/1-4.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, D'OLIER STREET, DUBLIN LIBRARY
Date: 1818
Nature: H,M & McM contractors for same.
Refs: Wide Street Commissioners' minutes 9 XII 1818 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44).

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, BISHOP STREET WITHOUT, COUNTY GAOL
Date: 1819-24
Nature: Enlargement of existing gaol (or new gaol?). Polygonal plan. Built by Henry, Mullins & McMahon. Cost: £33,718 Irish.
Refs: Plans in IAA, Guinness Collection, 96/68; NA/SPO CSORP 1825/12,887 (application by DH to succeed Johnston as architect to Board of Works); letters from Commissioners of Public Works and Francis Johnston re same, May 1820, in NA/CSO/RP/832; 4th Report of Association for Improvement of Prison Discipline (1823), ?; Pigot and Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824), 396; Robert Simpson, Annals of Derry (1847), 242-3; APSD XIX, L, 134.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FITZWILLIAM STREET, NO. 017
Date: 1820
Nature: Designed and/or built by H,M & M.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 572.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FITZWILLIAM PLACE, NO. 001
Date: 1820
Nature: New house with slate-hung rear elevation.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 572.

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, DIAMOND, CORPORATION HALL
Date: 1825-26?
Nature: H,M & McM contractors for rebuilding.
Refs: NA/SPO CSORP 1825/12,887 (application by DH to succeed Johnston as architect to Board of Works) (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44) (APSD gives date of rebuilding as 1826)

Building: CO. OFFALY, TULLAMORE, CORMAC STREET, COUNTY GAOL
Date: 1826
Nature: H,M & McM contractors for same.
Refs: NA/SPO CSORP 1825/13,514 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, WALKER MONUMENT
Date: 1826-28
Nature: Erected by HM & McM. Statue by John Smyth. FS laid Dec 1826. Completed Aug 1828. Cost £4,200 including £100 for statue. (Pigot & APSD name architect as 'James Henry').
Refs: J.P. Lawson, Gazetteer of Ireland (1842), 617-622; Robert Simpson, Annals of Derry (1847), 248; APSD, L, 134; W.S. Ferguson, A.J. Rowan, J.J. Tracey, Historic Buildings…in and near the City of Derry (UAHS, 1970), 16

Building: CO. KILDARE, MONASTEREVIN, AQUEDUCT
Date: 1827
Nature: Aqueduct to carry Grand Canal acoss River Barrow. 40 ft span.
Refs: S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 386; TICEI 1 (1848), 78

Building: CO. MEATH, KELLS, INN
Date: 1832
Nature: Designed by James Bell. Contractors: H, M & McM.
Refs: Elevations & plans in IAA, Guinness Collection, 96/68.

Building: CO. OFFALY, BALLYEIGAN HOUSE (BIRR)
Date: 1833
Nature: Works at, for Bernard Mullins.
Refs: Design for gutter by James Lyster, 28 Nov 1833, in IAA, Guinness Collection (96/68); see also Tullynally drawings list, M46.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET, ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1833;1835ca
Nature: Proposed restoration of E window 'to its original form' by Henry & Mullins, April 1833. H, M & McM contractors for restoration of W end and N transept 1935ca.
Refs: Design by Henry & Mullins 'for restoring the eastern window of St Patrick's Cathedral to its original form'  April 1833 in Representative Church Body Library, see RCB Library - Architectural Drawings, https://archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org/items/show/2426 (last visited, Feb 2017);  Dublin Penny Journal, 28 Feb 1835, 273-4 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, HARBOUR
Date: 1834ca
Nature: H,M & McM contractors for completion of harbour, using stone from government quarries at Dalkey..
Refs: Dublin Penny Journal, 15 Feb 1834, 258 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. GALWAY, KINVARA, NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1835
Nature: Design for a school house with a Grecian Doric portico in antis. Contractors: Henry, Mullins & McMahon?
Refs: Elevations & plan in IAA, Guinness Collection, 96/068.5/12.

Building: CO. MAYO, CASTLEBAR HOUSE
Date: 1839
Nature: Stables, for Earl of Lucan, designed by J.B. Papworth. Contractors: ?H, M & McM.
Refs: Drawing in IAA, Guinness Collection, 96/68.

Building: CO. WEXFORD, FERNS, DEANERY
Date: ?
Nature: Designs for same.
Refs: Undated designs, signed Henry, Mullins & MacMahon, in Bishop Robert Loftus papers, NLI, PC 409 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44).

Building: CO. WICKLOW, WOODSTOCK (OR CO. KILKENNY, WOODSTOCK?)
Date: ?
Nature: Works(?) at same by Henry, Mullins & McMahon.
Refs: NLI MS. 3917 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. DOWN, HILLSBOROUGH, CHURCH OF ST MALACHI (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: ?Work at, by Henry, Mullins & McMahon.
Refs: Unfinished elevation in Henry, Mullins & McMahon album, Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland, but as the church and spire were built in 1760-1775, it is not clear what H,M & McM could have had to do with it.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CAHIR, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: ?Built by Henry, Mullins & McMahon.
Refs: Elevation in Henry, Mullins & McMahon album, Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland; Roger Hill has another elevation which was formerly in the collection of loose drawings from the office of Henry, Mullins & McMahon.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, TEMPLEMORE, CHURCH (RC, OLD)
Date: ?
Nature: Built by Henry, Mullins & McMahon?
Refs: Elevations in Henry, Mullins & McMahon album, Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, CASTLECOMER ROAD, BARRACKS
Date: ?
Nature: ?Constructed by Henry, Mullins & McMahon.
Refs: Site plan in Henry, Mullins & McMahon album, Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland.

Building: CO. LAOIS, PORTLAOISE, MARKET HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: ?Built by Henry, Mullins & McMahon.
Refs: Elevation in Henry, Mullins & McMahon album, Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, DUKE'S LODGE
Date: ?
Nature: Contractors: ?Henry, Mullins & McMahon.
Refs: Drawing in IAA, Guinness Collection, 96/68

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, DUKE'S LODGE
Date: ?
Nature: Possibly constructed by Henry, Mullins & McMahon as there is an elevation and plan among the firm's office drawings.
Refs: Elevation and plan in IAA, Guinness Collection (96/68)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FITZWILLIAM SQUARE, NO. 002-3
Date: ?
Nature: '...the sober elegant style of Henry, Mullins & McMahon is discernible at Nos. 2-3' (Casey).
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),572.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FITZWILLIAM SQUARE, NO. 019-23
Date: ?
Nature: New houses with Greeek Ionic doorcases.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 572.