Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Perth, Scotland, for whom see www.scottisharchitects.org.uk. Andrew Heiton is said to have been the nephew of JAMES HEITON  JAMES HEITON of Dublin.(1) In 1860 he won the competition for designing Rathgar Presbyterian church (1860-62),(2) and he subsequently designed two other Presbyterian churches in Dublin: the Findlater Memorial Church in Parnell Square (1862-64) and the Mission Church in Jervis Street (1864).

See WORKS, for Irish works only.



References



(1) DB 4, 15 Feb 1862, 43; he was presumably also connected with the Dublin fuel merchant Thomas Heiton.
(2) B 18, 28 Apr 1860, 267.


4 work entries listed in chronological order for HEITON, ANDREW, JR. #


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHGAR ROAD, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (CHRIST CHURCH)
Date: 1860-62
Nature: AH winner of competition. FS laid 19 Jul 1860. Church opened 2 Feb 1862. Builder: Cockburn & Son.
Refs: Irish Times, 20 Jul 1860;  DB 4, 1 Feb 1862, 33;  illus. in Laurence Kirkpatrick, Presbyterians in Ireland: an illustrated history (Booklink, 2006), 252.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, YORK ROAD, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1861-62
Nature: New church attr. to AH by Williams on grounds of its resemblance to Rathgar Presbyterian church. FS laid late summer 1861. Contractor: Cockburn, Great Brunswick St. Cost: £6000.
Refs: DB 2, 15 Oct 1861, 663; 3, 15 Jun 1862, 146; B, ? ? 1861, 753; J. Williams, Companion guide to Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 178;  illus. in Laurence Kirkpatrick, Presbyterians in Ireland: an illustrated history (Booklink, 2006), 247.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL SQUARE, ABBEY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (FINDLATER CHURCH)
Date: 1862-64
Nature: Decorated Gothic. Gift of Alexander Findlater. Cost: £14,000. Cost of site: £2,600. FS laid late Nov or early Dec 1862. Builder: Samuel Bolton. Erected under superintendence of William Leiper, AH's resident assistant . Opened 17 Nov 1864.
Refs: Set of original designs in church (information from Ms. Dell Lundy, 2014);  DB 4, 15 Nov,15 Dec 1862, 290,291(illus.),320; B 19, 22 Jun 1861, 436; 22, 9 Jul,26 Nov,3 Dec 1864, 518,872,890; 23, 18 Mar 1865, 197; 36, 1 Jan 1894, 4,12(illus.); Irish Times, 25,27 Nov 1862;  W.B. Kirkpatrick, DD, ed., Memorial Services in connection with the removal of the congregation of Mary's Abbey to Rutland Square, Dublin (1865), 48-51; 'Annals of Dublin' in Post Office Dublin Directory (1875), 800; Alex Findlater, Findlaters - the story of a Dublin merchant family 1774-2001 (A. & A. Farmar, 2001), 38-40; www.scottish architects.org.uk;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 25,36(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, JERVIS STREET, NO. 014 (PRESBYTERIAN MISSION CHURCH)
Date: 1864
Nature: Early English style, plain in appearance, grey brick with read & white bands & arches. FS laid by Rev. Mr Rogers. Builder: Crowe & Son, Great Brunswick St.£2,000.
Refs: DB 5, 15 Oct 1864, 213