Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin, active in the 1860s, 1870s and 1880s. Oliver Healy exhibited a design for 'A Mansion House fa├žade' at the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1860 (no. 498)(1) and a design for the west front of a church at the Dublin Exhibition of Art and Art Manufactures in 1861.(2) He is possibly the same person as the Oliver Healy of Limerick who in 1852 exhibited a design for a farm house and offices at the National Exhibition of the Arts, Manufactures & Products in Cork (no.112)(3) and who is listed as an architect and builder of 5 Ann Street, Limerick, in Slater's National Commercial Directory of Ireland for 1856.(4)

Towards the end of his life Healy became blind. He was admitted to Simpson's Hospital, Dublin, at the age of seventy-one in May 1892 and died there three years later on 8 October 1895.(5)

Addresses(6): 5 Ann Street, Limerick?, 1856; 15 Summerhill, Dublin, 1860;(7) 39 Gloucester Street Lower, 1863-1867; 98 Dorset Street Lower, 1870; 38 Hardwick Street, 1871-73; 12 Frederick Street North, 1874; Leinster Chambers, Dame Street, 1882, 1886, 1887.(8)

See WORKS.



References



(1) RHA Index, II, 77; DB 2, 1 Aug 1860, 317.
(2) DB 3, 15 June 1861, 536.
(3) IALE, I, 317.
(4) Information extracted from Limerick City directories by Michael Maguire, Limerick City Library.
(4) Christopher Ryan, Simpson's Hospital (Ballinteer Family History Society, 2000), 38,93.
(5) From Jones transcripts from Thom's directories unless otherwise stated .
(6) See note 1, above.
(7) In Thom's Directory for 1887, he is called Oliver Stokes Healy.


2 work entries listed in chronological order for HEALY, OLIVER T.


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DOMINICK STREET LOWER, CARMELITE CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR (RC)
Date: 1860-?64
Nature: Built on quadrangle of Carmelite College. One side designed so that narrow cloister may be added.
Refs: B 18, 1 Sep 1860, 558; 22, 20 Feb 1864, 141

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 074
Date: 1867
Nature: Considerable additions. Builder: Peter Casserly.
Refs: B 25, 19 Jan 1867, 48