- Born: - Died: -
Architect, of Galway. John Harris probably came from Manchester, where he served an apprenticeship with William Williamson and then worked as an assistant in the offices of Maycock & Bell and Mills & Murgatroyd. He then came to Ireland working first in the office of CHARLES GEOGHEGAN in Dublin and then with EDWARD TOWNSEND in Galway. He set up his own practice as an architect and civil engineer in Galway in about 1880, serving for a time as an inspector for the Board of Works in the county. His name disappears from the membership list of the RIAI after 1901.
RIAI: elected member, 7 December 1890.
Address: 1 Francis Street, Galway.
All information in this entry is from IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile).
2 work entries listed in chronological order for HARRIS, JOHN
|Building:||CO. GALWAY, TUAM, UNION WORKHOUSE|
|Nature:||'Nuns' house' at workhouse designed by 'Mr Harris, CE'. Completed by Sep 1894. Contractor: James McDonnell.
Tuam Herald, 4 Aug,1 Sep 1894.
|Building:||CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, PROVINCIAL BANK|
|Nature:||Alteraions, renovations & repairs. Tenders invited, Feb 1896.
Irish Times, 8,10 Feb 1896.