Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin and Cork. Cyril Harrington, son of Ignatius Harrington and his wife, Ellen, youngest daughter of John Ashlin of Castleredmond, Co. Cork, and niece of GEORGE COPPINGER ASHLIN GEORGE COPPINGER ASHLIN ,(1) was born in 1890, according to the 1911 census of England.  He was educated at Downside College in England and Clongowes Wood and studied architecture at Liverpool University. Two measured drawings by him of the examination hall at Trinity College, Dublin, published in the Irish Builder in 1911(2) are dated September 1909, suggesting that he may already have started his architectural training at this date. According to his obituarist his studies at Liverpool were cut short by the First World War, when he served in the Canadian Army. On being discharged in 1917(3) he entered the office of GEORGE FRANCIS BECKETT  GEORGE FRANCIS BECKETT at 97 St Stephen's Green, and was taken into partnership by Beckett the following year.(4) Harrington continued in partnership with Beckett until the latter's retirement in 1950, when he carried on the practice with J.D. Fetherstone and D.N. Haughton.(5) From 1928 or earlier he also practised from 73 South Mall, Cork, in partnership with WALTER JAMES BUCHAN  WALTER JAMES BUCHAN until about 1944 and then on his own. He appears to have retired around 1970(6) and to have died about five years later.

Harrington designed several churches and many Munster and Leinster Bank branches throughout Ireland. He was a keen golfer and an active member of the Vincent de Paul Society. He was married and was survived by a daughter, Catherine Anna Moloney.

AAI:(7) elected member, 1917; vice-president, 1921-22; president, 1931-32.
RIAI: wins institute prize, 1918;(8) elected member 1919;(9) fellow, 1932;(10) vice-president 1941.(11)

Addresses:(12) Work: 97 Stephen's Green, 1918-1950ca; 73 South Mall, Cork, <=1928->=1944.(13)
Home: 3 Frankfort Avenue, Rathgar, Dublin, 1919; 109, Moyne Road, Ranelagh, <=1921->=1928; Little Orchard, Gordon Avenue, Foxrock, 1937-1938; 1 Butterfield Park, Rathfarnham, <=1939-1971; Abbey Hotel, Haigh Terrace, Dun Laoghaire, 1972.

See WORKS. See also BECKETT & BECKETT & amp; HARRINGTON  HARRINGTON and HARRINGTON & HARRINGTON & amp; BUCHAN. BUCHAN.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the short obituary of Harrington by J.D. Fetherstone in RIAI Year Book 1975-76, 42. A portrait photograph of Harrington is in AAI Green Book (1932), 26.

(1) B of I files, citing information from Miss Stephanie Ashlin, in an interview with Alistair Rowan, 10 Dec 1981; according to Miss Ashlin the Harringtons were connected with the paint manufacturers Harringtons & Goodlass Wall Paint Co. of Nassau Street, see also IB 101, 10 Jan 1959, 8. Ignatius Harrington does not appear in any of the Dublin directories and may perhaps have been a Co. Cork man.
(2) IB 53, 7 Jan 1911, supplement; 29 Apr 1911, 279. The original drawings are in Trinity College library.
(3) AAI Green Book (1919), 7; he became a member of the AAI in 1917 which was presumably the year of his discharge.
(4) IB 60, 12 Oct 1918, 400; the obituary wrongly gives the date as 1926.
(5) IB 92, 5 Aug 1950, 832.
(6) See Addresses, above.
(7) Information from AAI Green Books.
(8) JRIAI (1919), 4.
(9) JRIAI (1920), 4.
(10) JRIAI (1933), 8.
(11) JRIAI (1941), 4.
(12) From Thom's Directories and RIAI and AAI lists of members.
(13) For Cork address see IB 72, 21 Jun 1930, 564, IB 8226 Oct 1940, 654; Buchan gives 73 South Mall as his address in RIAI list of members for 1928.


16 work entries listed in chronological order for HARRINGTON, CYRIL ASHLIN


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. CORK, CORK, JOHN REDMOND STREET, NORTH CHARITABLE INFIRMARY
Date: 1932;1945-46;19
Nature: Dental Hospital, 1932; adds. to dental hospital , 1945-46; repainting of infirmary, 1946,1949; lab. & cardiographic dept, 1950; alts. to operatiog theatre, 1956.
Refs: IB 74, 2 Jul 1932, 611; 87, 29 Dec 1945, 695; 88, 23 Feb,4 May 1946, 106,266; 91,2 Apr 1949, 304; 92, 14 Oct 1950, 1110; 98, 25 Feb 1956, 173

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, POPE'S QUAY, ST MARY'S DOMINICAN PRIORY
Date: 1935-36
Nature: New novitiate building.
Refs: IB 77, 29 Jun 1935, 580; 78, 14 Nov 1936, 1025

Building: CO. CORK, COBH, GENERAL HOSPITAL
Date: 1936;1940
Nature: Alts. & adds.
Refs: IB 78, 30 May 1936, 483; 82, 26 Oct 1940, 654

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, POPE'S QUAY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: 1938
Nature: Alts. & adds.
Refs: IB 80, 2 Apr 1938, 285

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DRUMCONDRA ROAD LOWER, NO. 140 (MUNSTER & LEINSTER BANK)
Date: 1940
Nature: New. Builder: Maher & Murphy, Aughrim St.
Refs: IB 82, 23 Nov 1940, 699(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAWSON STREET, NO. 016 (LONDON ASSURANCE HOUSE)
Date: 1941;1954
Nature: Builder: Maher & Murphy, Aughrim St; alts., 1954.
Refs: IB 83, 10 May 1941, 232; 96, 13 Feb 1954, 157

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, PINE STREET, MCKENZIE
Date: 1942
Nature: Alts.to store.
Refs: IB 84, 21 Nov 1942, 444

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CRUMLIN ROAD, NO. 219-231 (MUNSTER & LEINSTER BANK)
Date: 1945
Nature: -
Refs: IB 87, 27 Jan 1945, 34

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TERENURE ROAD EAST, NO. 007-9 (MUNSTER & LEINSTER BANK)
Date: 1947
Nature: New. Builder: Murphy Bros., Rathmines.
Refs: IB 89, 17 May 1947, 356

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, WESTERN ROAD, ERINVILLE MATERNITY HOSPITAL (NEW)
Date: 1948;1949;1951
Nature: Repairs to E wing, conversion of ARP shelter into students' living quarters, 1948; alts. & new fire escape, 1949; alts., 1951.
Refs: IB 90, 3,17 Apr 1948, 268,304

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, WORKERS' HALL
Date: 1954-55
Nature: Reconstruction.
Refs: IB 96, 8 May 1954, 465; 97, 12 Feb,10 Sep 1955,153,951

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NUTGROVE AVENUE (CHURCHTOWN), CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD (RC)
Date: 1954-57
Nature: New church for Father L. O'Donnell.Builder: J. Townley & Sons.
Refs: IB 96, 30 Jan 1954, 113; 99, 20 Apr 1957, 291(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WILLBROOK ROAD (RATHFARNHAM), PLAYGROUND
Date: 1956
Nature: Reconstruction of playground & river bank wall.
Refs: IB 98, 11 Aug 1956, 729

Building: CO. DUBLIN, TALLAGHT, ST MARY'S PRIORY (DOMINICAN)
Date: 1956-58
Nature: Extension, including library wing.
Refs: IB 98, 30 Jun 1956, 607,615; 100, 13 Dec 1958, 927(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNTJOY SQUARE, NO. 039 (AN OIGE)
Date: 1960
Nature: Alts.
Refs: IB 102, 9 Jan 1960, 11

Building: CO. CORK, BANDON, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: -
Refs: Obituary of Harrington by J.D. Fetherstone in RIAI Yearbook 1975-76, 42.

Author Title Date Details
'a Listener' 'The Close of a Session' 1932 IB 74, 9 Apr 1932, 344. (Part of valedictory address to AAI of C.A. Harrington as president.)
Harrington, Cyril Ashlin [President's inaugural Address to AAI.] 1932 AAI Green Book (1932), 27-37. (Address delivered 27 Oct 1931.)