Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Birmingham-based church-decorating firm, founded by John Hardman the younger (1811-1867) and closely associated with the architect AUGUSTUS WELBY PUGIN.& AUGUSTUS WELBY PUGIN.& #160; Hardman's of Birmingham produced decorative work and stained-glass windows predominantly for Roman Catholic churches in Britain and elsewhere.   In Ireland these churches included Killarney cathedral, Armagh cathedral,(1) Cobh cathedral,(2) and St Cronan's church at Roscrea, Tipperary.  The firm also carried out work for a number of Church of Ireland churches, most notably a series of stained-glass windows for Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin.(1)   It continued to produce stained glass until the 1970s but was eventually wound up in 2008.

In 1853 THOMAS EARLEY THOMAS EARLEY , who had worked for Hardman's in England, France and Belgium, established a Dublin branch of the firm in association with John Hardman's young half-nephews Edward and HENRY POWELL HENRY POWELL . The original shop was at 48 Grafton Street, and by February 1860 a stone and wood-carving workshop had been established at 1 Upper Camden Street. The Grafton Street shop was abandoned between 1860 and 1863. In 1864 Hardman's gave up their connection with the Dublin business, which continued until the 1890s under the name of EARLEY & EARLEY & amp; POWELLS  POWELLS and subsequently as EARLEY & EARLEY & amp; CO.

See WORKS, for Irish work only.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Michael Fisher, Hardman of Birmingham, goldsmith and glasspainter (Landmark Publishing, 2008).  Hardman's work for Ireland is discussed on pp. 135-139.


(1) For the windows in Christ Church cathedral and other Church of Ireland churches, see Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/artist.1486/location/results (last visited Jul 2009). 


27 work entries listed in chronological order for HARDMAN, JOHN, & CO *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. LIMERICK, ADARE, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (CI; FORMER AUGUSTINIAN ABBEY)
Date: 1850s
Nature: 4 stained-glass windows.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/artist.1486/location.2500/results (last visited Jul 2009).

Building: CO. KERRY, KILLARNEY, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1854-1855;1857;1859;1863;1867;1874;1908-13
Nature: Metalwork, including  cross, tabernacle and candleticks for high altar, benedicition candlesticks, thurible, processional cross, brass corona (1854-5);  monumental brasses to 3rd Earl of Kenmare and to Countess of Kenmare (1857);  metalwork screen for St Joseph's chapel (1859);  proposed design for rood screen;  stained -ass windows in Blerssed Sacrament chapel(1863), St Brendan's chapel  (1867) and S transept (1874).  Light fittings, 1908-13.
Refs: Michael Fisher, Hardman of Birmingham, goldsmith and glasspainter (Landmark Publishing, 2008)., 136-7(illus.).

Building: CO. KILDARE, CELBRIDGE, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1858
Nature: Stained glass by Hardman of Birmingham and Wailes of Newcastle.
Refs: B 16, 27 Mar 1858, 214

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, TIPPERARY, ST MICHAEL STREET, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1860
Nature: High altar, 'the largest & most elaborate erected in the United Kingdom since the Reformation'.
Refs: DB 2, 1 May 1860, 252; 3, 15 Nov,1 Dec 1861, 689, 698.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CASTLE STREET, DUBLIN CASTLE, CHAPEL ROYAL (CI)
Date: 1860
Nature: Pulpit in Chapel Royal.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Jun 1860, 274;  Myles Campbell, '"Throw open those privileged pens": The changing face of the Chapel Royal, 1815-2015' in Myles Campbell & William Derham, eds., Myles Campbell & William Derham, eds., The Chapel Royal, Dublin Castle: An Architectural History (Dublin, Office of Public Works, 2015), 133-134(illus.). 

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CASTLE STREET, DUBLIN CASTLE, CHAPEL ROYAL (CI)
Date: 1860
Nature: Pulpit in Chapel Royal.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Jun 1860, 274;  Myles Campbell, '"Throw open those privileged pens": The changing face of the Chapel Royal, 1815-2015' in Myles Campbell & William Derham, eds., Myles Campbell & William Derham, eds., The Chapel Royal, Dublin Castle: An Architectural History (Dublin, Office of Public Works, 2015), 133-134(illus.). 

Building: CO. KILKENNY, LISDOWNEY, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1860
Nature: Carved wooden altar.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Apr 1860, 240

Building: CO. TYRONE, COOKSTOWN, CHAPEL STREET, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (RC, LISSAN LOWER)
Date: 1860
Nature: East window.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Jul 1860, 294.

Building: CO. CLARE, ENNIS, STATION ROAD, PRO-CATHEDRAL OF SS. PETER & PAUL (RC)
Date: 1860-61
Nature: High altar, altar of the Sacred Heart and altar of Blessed Virgin erected to designs of JJM. Work executed by Hardman & Co, represented by Earley & Powell. Statues and sculpted groups designed by Powell.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Apr 1860, 240; 3, 15 Jul 1861, 577; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 60

Building: CO. CORK, BLARNEY, CHURCH OF THE RESURRECTION (CI, GARRYCLOYNE PARISH)
Date: 1867
Nature: Stained-glass E window (Resurrection) in memory of Aug[ustus?] Vivian, 1867..
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/location/building/3219/ (last visited Jul 2009).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHRISTCHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1870s
Nature: Stained glass windows in nave, aisles and passage to Synod Hall executed by John Powell of Hardman & Co.
Refs: William Butler, The Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity Dublin (1901), 28;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/artist.1486/location/results (last visited Jul 2009); Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 335.
.

Building: CO. CORK, MONKSTOWN, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CI)
Date: 1874
Nature: E window (double lancet representing Resurrection and Ascension) in memory of Amos Langton Newman.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/artist.1486/location.2602/results (last visited Jul 2009)

Building: CO. ARMAGH, BALLYMOYER, CHURCH OF ST LUKE (CI)
Date: 1877ca
Nature: 3 pairs of lancet windows n N wall of nave (SS Peter and Matthew; SS Andrew and Bartholomew;  SS John and James the Less) in memory of members of the Synnot family.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3410/ (last visited, Mar 2014).

Building: CO. TYRONE, BERAGH, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI, CLOGHERNY PARISH)
Date: 1879
Nature: E window erected by Col. Preston, 1879, in memory of Rev.James Lowry (d. 1852).
Refs: Date on plaque in church (information from Dr David Lawrence, Gladestry, Powys, Jul 2012);  R. Dougherty, Historical Notes on the Parish of Clougherny (Belfast, n.d.), 20;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 147

Building: CO. CORK, COBH, CATHEDRAL OF ST COLMAN (RC)
Date: 1880-93;1898-99
Nature: Glass for windows in clerestory, apse, south and north transepts, and west rose window, 1898-9. Also windows above Sacred Heart Altar.
Refs: St Colman's Cathedral, Queenstown (1916), 17;  Jesse Castle Metlitski and Richard Oram, Report on Cobh Cathedral for Carrig Conservation, Dublin (2001) (information from Mgr James O'Brien, Buttevant, Co. Cork);  S transept and baptistery windows illus. in Ann Wilson, 'The building of St Colman's Cathedral, Cobh', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 7 (2004), 248,250,251;  Ann Wison, 'The Gothic Revival in Ireland:  St Colman's Cathedral, Cobh (1868-1916)', Antiphon: A Journal for Liturgical Renewal 11.2 (2007), 32(illus.)36(illus.),37(illus.).




Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET, ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1882
Nature: Stained-glass window in south aisle (Good Samaritan), for - Peele.  Cartoon by John Hardman Powell.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/artist.1486/location.2353/results (last visited Jul 2009).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHMICHAEL, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1889
Nature: Stained-glass window in N aisle (Our Lord Enthroned).
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/artist.1486/location.2372/results (last visited Jul 2009).

Building: CO. GALWAY, CLONFERT, CATHEDRAL OF ST BRENDAN (CI)
Date: 1897
Nature: Pair of stained-glass windows (St Peter & St Paul) in E wall of chancel.. Gift of thomas Roderic O'Connor 'in thankful memory of the Diamond Jubilee of her Most Gracious Majesty Queen Victoria, 1897'.
Refs: Irish Times, 21 Oct,12 Dec 1898;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/artist.1486/location.2510/results (last visited Jul 2009); 

Building: CO. WICKLOW, CONARY, CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW (CI)
Date: 1898a
Nature: 3 stained-glass windows:  St Bartholomew (baptistry), Parables of the Prodigal Son and the Good Samaritan (north wall of nave), Parable of the Sower (vestry).(Wicklow Newsletter d windows.). Also Caen stone reredos, supplied by Mrs Clerke, London, wife of rector, Rev. John Moore Robinson.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 5 Nov 1898;    Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/artist.1486/location.2361/results (last visited Jul 2009)

Building: CO. WICKLOW, CONARY, CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW (CI)
Date: 1898a
Nature: 3 stained-glass windows:  St Bartholomew (baptistry), Parables of the Prodigal Son and the Good Samaritan (north wall of nave), Parable of the Sower (vestry).(Wicklow Newsletter d windows.). Also Caen stone reredos, supplied by Mrs Clerke, London, wife of rector, Rev. John Moore Robinson.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 5 Nov 1898;    Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/artist.1486/location.2361/results (last visited Jul 2009)

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1900-1905
Nature: Decorative scheme, including mosaics. by Gabriel Pippet. Also 2 stained-glass windows in N nave aisle, nearest transepts (date not known?).
Refs: Guide to St Patrick's Cathedral (1904), 25;  Michael Fisher, Hardman of Birmingham, goldsmith and glasspainter (Landmark Publishing, 2008), 138;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 113,Pl.88.

Building: CO. KILDARE, BALLYMORE EUSTACE, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1914;1918
Nature: 2 stained-glass windows.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/artist.1486/building.2959/results (last visited Jul 2009).

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, IRISH STREET, CHURCH OF ST MALACHY (RC)
Date: 1930s
Nature: Stained glass.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 117.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, ROSCREA, ABBEY STREET, CHURCH OF ST CRONAN (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Stone and metal jubé screen.
Refs: Michael Fisher, Hardman of Birmingham, goldsmith and glasspainter (Landmark Publishing, 2008), 138(illus.).

Building: CO. CORK, CLOYNE, CATHEDRAL OF ST COLMAN (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Stained-glass E window given by the Rev. William Wilkinson in memory of John & Mary Wilkinson.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/artist.1486/location.2607/results (last visited Jul 2009).

Building: CO. CORK, GLANDORE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, KILFAUGHNABEG PARISH)
Date: ?
Nature: New stained-glass E window (Christ in Majesty) in memory of Christopher and Ann Allen and Helen Black..
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/artist.1486/location.2582/results (last visited Jul 2009)

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Stained glass in upper window at E end (the Angelic Hosts).
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/search/artist.1486/location.2552/results (last visited Jul 2009).