HALL, THOMAS *
- Born: - Died: -
Carpenter, builder and timber merchant, of Dublin. Thomas Hall's name appears on a list of Dublin master bulders compiled in March 1834.(1) He first appears in Wilson's Dublin Directory for the years 1835-1837 as a carpenter and builder at 5 Lower Kevin Street. In the Post Office Dublin Directory for 1839 he is similarly described but in the edition for 1844 he is designated 'builder, timber and slate merchant'. In Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1847 he appears simply as a builder and timber merchant. By 1853 he had acquired a second address at 33 Lower Mountpleasant Avenue, Ranelagh. By 1863 his son William had joined him in the business, which had acquired new premises at 62 and 63 Harcourt Street;(2) by 1874 this address had changed to 62a Harcourt Street. The firm remained in business at the latter address until 1918 but had ceased trade by 1922 when their premises were occupied by the Court Laundry.
All information in this entry not otherwise referenced is from Wilson's, Post Office, Pettigrew & Oulton's & Thom's directories.
(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(2) Thomas Hall & Son were presumably responsible for the building of Nos. 62-67 Harcourt Street, in 1962, see Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 525.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for HALL, THOMAS *
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, CASTLEKNOCK, CHURCH OF ST BRIGID (CI)|
|Nature:||TH contractor for enlargement. Archt: Welland & Gillsepie.|
|Refs:||Contract drawing, signed by TH, in RCB Library, portfolio 13.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARCOURT STREET, HOUSES ON E SIDE (NO. 051-57?)|
|Nature:||Range of 1st-class houses, red brick with Byzantine door surrounds. TH & Son builder & developer. Architect: J. McAlister.|
|Refs:||DB 4, 15 Aug,15 Nov 1862, 214,288.|